Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #1

Michigan to Minneapolis

What's the best route to take to get through Chicago going to Minneapolis pulling a Cedar Creek 31IK? Will be traveling originally on I-94 from Battle Creek, MI.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #2

In my opinion, the route isn't as important as avoiding rush hour. Try to get through Chicago area M-Th between 10am and 3 pm. Fridays are bad. Weekends are hit or miss.

Google says take 294. That's a good way to get through. Plan on a little stop and go. Dont rush.

That's a ~600 mile day. We do our best to avoid that many miles in a day. Lots of good overnight stops in WI. If you choose to do that, be sure to have a reservation if it'll be on a weekend night in the summer.

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #3

Best way is I-94 to 131 North to US-10 West and take the SS Badger across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin then 10 to Minneapolis! No Chicago! Youroo!!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
In my opinion, the route isn't as important as avoiding rush hour. Try to get through Chicago area M-Th between 10am and 3 pm. Fridays are bad. Weekends are hit or miss.

Google says take 294. That's a good way to get through. Plan on a little stop and go. Dont rush.

That's a ~600 mile day. We do our best to avoid that many miles in a day. Lots of good overnight stops in WI. If you choose to do that, be sure to have a reservation if it'll be on a weekend night in the summer.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I do plan on making it a two day trip. I've driven through Chicago many times but never pulling the trailer.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #5

Do you want the fastest route or one that is less costly and takes a little longer to drive through IL.

An I-Pass or E-Pass will allow you to go through the I-pass lanes and you will not need to stop at the toll booths. Per the IL toll calculator there is no cost difference between cash and I-pass cost when towing a trailer. So, taking the I94/I294 route around the lake and NB, this could cost as much as $40.00. What ever you do, don't take I94 into Chicago this will take you downtown on the Kennedy and out to I294 at O'Hara.

Now if you take 194/I294 to I80 and get off at I80 WB, the cost would be the one toll at I80 exit which would be about $3.85. You would than travel to I39 NB there are no tolls nor a lot of heavy traffic once you past Joliet IL. On I39N I believe there is only one toll, when you merged on to I90NB. I believe there is just one when you exit 190NB into WI. It has been a long while since I have gone this way, so there maybe one more toll to go through on I90NB.

The other problem is I94 in WI is under construction and going to either I43 or I94 in WI is going to run you into this heavy construction. This is a mullite year phase removing the old road bed and installing a new road bed.

I have been going to Milwaukee Wi all last year and this year to help my sister move back to IL. I have avoided taking I88 East to I294 North than I43 because of the construction. I have been traveling IL47 north to WI route 120 than I43 to Milwaukee. No tolls or construction and this has about the same time to travel.

See this link for the trip cost an explanation of toll road cost with trailer.

Good Luck.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Do you want the fastest route or one that is less costly and takes a little longer to drive through IL.

An I-Pass or E-Pass will allow you to go through the I-pass lanes and you will not need to stop at the toll booths. Per the IL toll calculator there is no cost difference between cash and I-pass cost when towing a trailer. So, taking the I94/I294 route around the lake and NB, this could cost as much as $40.00. What ever you do, don't take I94 into Chicago this will take you downtown on the Kennedy and out to I294 at O'Hara.

Now if you take 194/I294 to I80 and get off at I80 WB, the cost would be the one toll at I80 exit which would be about $3.85. You would than travel to I39 NB there are no tolls nor a lot of heavy traffic once you past Joliet IL. On I39N I believe there is only one toll, when you merged on to I90NB. I believe there is just one when you exit 190NB into WI. It has been a long while since I have gone this way, so there maybe one more toll to go through on I90NB.

The other problem is I94 in WI is under construction and going to either I43 or I94 in WI is going to run you into this heavy construction. This is a mullite year phase removing the old road bed and installing a new road bed.

I have been going to Milwaukee Wi all last year and this year to help my sister move back to IL. I have avoided taking I88 East to I294 North than I43 because of the construction. I have been traveling IL47 north to WI route 120 than I43 to Milwaukee. No tolls or construction and this has about the same time to travel.

See this link for the trip cost an explanation of toll road cost with trailer.

Good Luck.
While being longer the I80 to I39 looks like an interesting way to go. May have to try that.