Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #1

Nahville and Shenandoah campgrounds

Hi,

We are going to be traveling from Cincinnati to Nashville in April and going to Shenandoah Nat'l Park in June. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a campground that they would recommend or stay away from. I've looked in the Good Sam campground directory but would prefer an objective opinion. Also, if you have preferred routes. Thanks.
udflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by udflyer View Post
Hi,

We are going to be traveling from Cincinnati to Nashville in April and going to Shenandoah Nat'l Park in June. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a campground that they would recommend or stay away from. I've looked in the Good Sam campground directory but would prefer an objective opinion. Also, if you have preferred routes. Thanks.
Nashville is so spread out, what are you planning to do/see? If the Grand Ole Opry, Two Rivers Campground is about 1 mile away. If your visiting the city in general, might check out any of the CORPs campgrounds. They are all pretty nice.

AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #3

Nashville: Seven Points CG on lake Piercy...

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1329.../data=!3m1!1e3

The waterfront sites are enormous and are less than $30 for W/E

Shenandoah: Outlanders River Camp

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ou...4!4d-78.537105

In the valley with NP on the horizon... right on the Lee Highway just south of Lauray...

Have stayed at both and can provide more info if interested... both highly recommended.

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #4

We stayed at Nashville KOA last year and absolutely loved it. Campground was clean and had a great dog park. Campground also runs a shuttle down town every hour which was great.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 AM   #5
Always Learning

We stayed at and loved Montgomery Bell State Park in Dickson, near Nashville. But it was a bit of a haul (40 mins or so) to get to sites in the city.

Beautiful park, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5224.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	803.4 KB
ID:	194997
Old 01-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

Misty Mountain Camp Resort

A great place to stay in Virginia, right where you plan on being, is Misty Mountain Camp Resort. It puts you just south of the Shenandoah National Park and just west of Charlottesville. There is so much to do and see around there in June. Here’s a list of some of the campground’s activities for June, but you will find so much more to do nearby, outside of the campground.

Name:	D4D28D37-460A-4AEE-9A5E-A5DC8B30A092.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	194998

You will have fun!

Bruce
Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #7

Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park in Luray

One place in Virginia, right where you plan on being, is Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park in Luray. While it’s a pretty nice park and smack dab in the middle of where you plan on being, I don’t recommend it if you are looking for a relaxing campground. It is great for the kids, but, in general, it is one wild place! It is always loaded with tent campers who, for some reason, mostly have no regard for the typical RV campground rules like not walking through sites and abiding by quiet times. I’m not saying that all tent campers, everywhere, act like this — it just seems that this particular park has this problem. If you don’t mind this sort of thing, then you might consider this park — especially if you have younger, very active kids — it is a great place for them and they would probably be happy just hanging out at the campground without going to other places outside of the campground. It’s just not my cup of tea.

Bruce
Old 01-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #8

Pegasus Farm Campground

If you are going to be traveling down 79 through West Virginia on your way to the Shenandoah area, you might want to make a one or two day stop at Pegasus Farm Campground. It definitely is not your typical campground, but if you are looking for a relaxing stop at a very small, family-owned campground, this is the place. You will never meet a more welcoming and caring couple of campground hosts than you will here. There’s not much to do in the area besides relax at the campground.

If you have dogs (you must like dogs if you are going to stay here), you will enjoy their no-leash-required (or recommended) rule. So will your dogs! There are acres upon acres for your dogs to wander. My dogs love this place. They will take off for an hour or so, usually visiting the pond or creek, then come home to check in to dry-off and rest.

Here is an aerial view of the campground:

Name:	49355EBE-FE3C-41E4-AE4E-41E8E03D86FD.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	195000

You can have lots of fun and relaxation here!

Bruce
Old 01-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #9

I don’t trust anyones dog off a leash.

Off topic just left Lowes. Small ankle biter in cart behind us barked loudly entire time.
Those are people who make it harder on everyone
Thanks
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post

Off topic just left Lowes. Small ankle biter in cart behind us barked loudly entire time.
Those are people who make it harder on everyone
Thanks

I watched someone with a small ankle biter at a Home Depot once. The lady wrapped the leash around the cart’s handlebar a couple times. The dog jumped out of the cart and the leash was too short to let it reach the ground...
Old 01-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Most people have a phobia or two. This leash rule is one of the things that makes Pegasus Farm unique. If you’re afraid of dogs, this place isn’t for you.

Bruce
Old 01-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #12

We like Grand Ole RV resort ain’t Goodlettesville. It’s a 20 min drive to downtown Nashville, or a $22 Uber each way..The staff is friendly, place is clean, and they usually have live music during spring, fall and summer. They have a small cafe with good food and they will even deliver it to your camper.

Downside is they are by a railroad track, but if you get on the inner loops it’s fairly quiet.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #13

Stayed at one of the Shenandoah National Park campgrounds a few years back and loved it. No hook-ups though. Also, keep in mind (if thinking of staying IN the park) that the shutdown has a current and probably lasting effect on these parks. We're heading to Great Smokey Mnts this June and double booked at a KOA just in case.
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #14

Consider Shenandoah River State Park just a few miles outside the NP. We go several times a year. About $35 per night elec and water.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
Nashville is so spread out, what are you planning to do/see? If the Grand Ole Opry, Two Rivers Campground is about 1 mile away. If your visiting the city in general, might check out any of the CORPs campgrounds. They are all pretty nice.

Also stayed at Two Rivers last year. Not a lot to do at the campground, but we didn't go to Nashville to hang out at the RV. (They do have live music two nights a week.) As mentioned, close to the Grande Ol Opry. Use the shuttle to take you down town. 20 dollars gets you there and back and runs till 2 AM. 30 dollars let's you ride all day. Parking will most likely cost you between 20 and 40 dollars anyway, and you don't need to fight the traffic.

If you like the traditional country music go to the Nashville Palace. It is about 3 minutes away. Reasonably priced and they play a lot better music than downtown (IMO).
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:41 PM   #16

We enjoyed Two Rivers in Nashville.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
If you are going to be traveling down 79 through West Virginia on your way to the Shenandoah area, you might want to make a one or two day stop at Pegasus Farm Campground. It definitely is not your typical campground, but if you are looking for a relaxing stop at a very small, family-owned campground, this is the place. You will never meet a more welcoming and caring couple of campground hosts than you will here. There’s not much to do in the area besides relax at the campground.

If you have dogs (you must like dogs if you are going to stay here), you will enjoy their no-leash-required (or recommended) rule. So will your dogs! There are acres upon acres for your dogs to wander. My dogs love this place. They will take off for an hour or so, usually visiting the pond or creek, then come home to check in to dry-off and rest.

Here is an aerial view of the campground:

Attachment 195000

You can have lots of fun and relaxation here!

Bruce
Are those active tracks?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Are those active tracks?
Technically, yes. But in reality, not really...
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryan View Post
Technically, yes. But in reality, not really...
X2

I cant remember what the story with the tracks is, but I have never seen or heard a train on them.

Bruce

Tags
campground, mpg