Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

OK motorhomers it's time to go to Zion

I just got back from a super nice weekend at Zion National Park in south eastern Utah. It's a GREAT time to go right now! It's till cool enough to enjoy the park and the crowds are still low. If you don't mind only having electrical hook ups, Watchman campground is GREAT, no hook ups, South Campground is REALLY nice. You can walk in to the park from both of these campgrounds. If you are looking for an actual RV park, skip the "quality inn" park and go a little further to "Zion River RV Resort". SUPER nice, small, but REALLY nice. Also $50-ish/night, but it's 1st class. Here you'll be about 15 minutes out from the park.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Brian
Prepilot_3ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #2

prepilot,
Thanks for the info. It's info like this that will make our trip there much better when we go.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #3

Wished we could go. We miss Moab and wished we could get back down to that area. Would love to see Zion and Bryce Canyon. I get 5 weeks off a year but the FAA will only guarantee me 2 of them and I don't want to be rushed. If I could get 3 weeks off we would be on our way. Colorado was on our list this year but that dream is gone for now.

Oh well, only 5.5 more years and I can retire and then we can go where we want for as long as we want!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Wished we could go. We miss Moab and wished we could get back down to that area. Would love to see Zion and Bryce Canyon. I get 5 weeks off a year but the FAA will only guarantee me 2 of them and I don't want to be rushed. If I could get 3 weeks off we would be on our way. Colorado was on our list this year but that dream is gone for now.

Oh well, only 5.5 more years and I can retire and then we can go where we want for as long as we want!

Not to get off track here, but did you say FAA? Are you a pilot? ATC? Support? I REALLY miss the aviation world...

Brian
Old 04-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We did all the National Parks through that part of the inter-mountain west last year. We didn't do it in a MH because of time restrictions. What a gorgeous trip. I love Moab and Mesa Verde as well as Bryce and Zion. If you get up to Capitol Reef make sure you stop at Cafe Diablo for dinner. It is real treat!
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepilot_3ck View Post
Not to get off track here, but did you say FAA? Are you a pilot? ATC? Support? I REALLY miss the aviation world...
Brian
For the FAA I'm an enroute radar controller for Seattle Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC). Been there almost 20 years. I have been a private pilot for 25 years. Don't fly anymore as it's just too expensive.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
For the FAA I'm an enroute radar controller for Seattle Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC). Been there almost 20 years. I have been a private pilot for 25 years. Don't fly anymore as it's just too expensive.
Nice! You guys rock. I've always been an aviation enthusiast. I was a student pilot back in Chicago but quit flying when I got married and moved. (like you said, too expensive) I had the opportunity to work for a Helicopter flight school for a few years. Those were probably the best years of my life. Working around all these aircraft. We had 350 helicopters and probably 10 or so fixed wing aircraft. Lot's of fun. I got to fly quite a bit there. The company closed in 2008 unfortunately, I've been searching for a job like that ever since. We also had an ATC school with a 360 degree simulator room. At that school I got to help design and build our actual WORKING control tower. It really was a dream job. I got to outfit law enforcement helicopters with GPS and moving map systems... I could go on and on. Those were the days.

Now I work in the title and escrow field... talk about a contrast.

Brian
Old 04-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #8

That's awesome Brian. I got to see the tower simulator in Oklahoma City while I was in the academy. They had just installed it, wished I could have played around a bit. I did get fortunate enough to have a friend who ran the full motion simulators for Boeing and was able to get quite a few hours of flight time in the 777,757,767 and 747 simulators. Talk about fun!

And just like that we have hijacked your own thread!
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
That's awesome Brian. I got to see the tower simulator in Oklahoma City while I was in the academy. They had just installed it, wished I could have played around a bit. I did get fortunate enough to have a friend who ran the full motion simulators for Boeing and was able to get quite a few hours of flight time in the 777,757,767 and 747 simulators. Talk about fun!
I BET! That sounds awesome.

Quote:
And just like that we have hijacked your own thread!
ZION IS AWESOME, EVERYONE SHOULD GO! Mountains, trees, river, nice stuff!

Whew, I think I saved it.

brian