Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Post Planning our "epic" 7 week, 8000+ mile, road-trip for next summer

I'm gonna need plenty of advice and recommendations for this one.
We're planning a "whirlwind tour of the west", heading out from Florida.
Our plan is to leave around Memorial Day, and get back home 7 weeks later.

Any advice on campgrounds, or specific places to visit, especially around any of our multi-night stays (rather than our 'just passing thru' stops) would be appreciated.
The only places along our trip that we've visited before are Chatanooga TN, Yellowstone, and Valley of Fire NV

We're hoping to mostly have full-hookup sites whenever possible, since that makes early departures so much easier

So far our rough itinerary is: -

Day 01 - Central FL to Chatanooga, TN - 580 miles
2-Night/1-day stay

Day 03 - Chatanooga, TN to Danville, MO - 515 miles
Day 04 - Danville, MO to Goodland, KS - 575 miles
Day 05 - Goodland, KS to Breckenridge, CO - 310 miles
3-night/2-day stay
Need recommendations for Colorado

Day 08 - Breckenridge, CO to Yellowstone (likely Grant Village) - 524 miles
3-night/2-day stay
We've spent a couple of weeks around Yellowstone, so know the area, but not the campgrounds.

Day 11 - Yellowstone to Glacier National Park - 440 miles
3-night/2-day stay
Need recommendations for Glacier

Day 14 - Glacier National Park to Banff, AB, CA - 310-350 miles
3-night/2-day stay (could extend an extra day)
Need recommendations for Banff area

Day 17 - Banff to Spokane, WA ? - 360 miles
Need recommendations for somewhere to stay, preferably scenic, somewhere in the Spokane area (or anywhere along route to Bend, OR or Portland, OR)

Day 18 - Spokane, WA to Mt Hood area, OR ? - 300-350 miles
2-night/1-day stay
Need recommendations again

Day 20 - Mt Hood, OR to Redwood National Park, CA - 420 miles
3-night/2-day stay
recommendations plz

Day 23 - Redwood Nat Park to Lake Tahoe - 390 - 420 miles
3-night/2-day stay
I've been told that South Lake Tahoe is a bit too touristy
so I'd rather find somewhere more nature-y
(but pref still with full-hookups)

Day 26 - Lake Tahoe to Yosemite - 195 miles
4-night/3-day stay in Yosemite
Campground and scenic spot recommendations plz.
(enjoy some moderate hiking, but nothing too extreme - lazy teenagers aren't used to strenuous hikes)

Day 30 - Yosemite to Carmel/Big-Sur CA - 200 miles
3-night/2-day stay
Thinking of staying at one of the campgrounds near Carmel, then driving without 5th wheel along to Cabrillo Hwy and back one day, and heading towards Santa Cruz the other day.

Day 33 - Carmel CA to Sequoia National Park - 240 miles
3-night/2-day stay in/near Sequoia Nat Park
More recommendations plz

Day 36 - Sequoia Nat Park to Valley of Fire, NV - 445 miles
(or possibly Lake Mead as alternative)
2-night/1-day stay in/near Valley of Fire

Sure hope our A/C (15K) survives summer NV temps
(it's ok in FL summer temps at least)

Day 38 - Valley of Fire, NV to Zion National Park, UT - 140 miles
3-night/2-day stay in/near Zion Nat Park

Day 41 - Zion Nat Park to Lake Powell, UT/AZ - 120 miles
2-night/1-day stay near Lake Powell
Thinking of doing a day boat trip or rental

Day 43 - Lake Powell, UT/AZ to Alburquerque, NM - 400 miles
2-night/1-day stay
Want to visit Sandia Peak/Crest

Day 45 - Alburquerque, NM to Wichita Falls, TX ? - 520 miles
Day 46 - Wichita Falls, TX to Jackson, MS ? - 550 miles
Day 47 - Jackson, MS to Florida Caverns State Park ? - 366 miles
2-night/1-day stay

Any suggestions of somewhere interesting to stop for a day between NM and FL, more-or-less along the route, would be welcome. (We've been to FL Caverns before, so would rather stop somewhere earlier, but don't want to spend a day somewhere just for the sake of it).

Day 49 - FL Caverns to Home ! - 345 miles

We're probably going to want to add an extra day or two of stays (to pad it out to 7 weeks plus an extra weekend), we just can't decide which stops to add extra time at. I'm thinking either Colorado area, or Banff area, or an extra day at Yellowstone to include Grand Teton (or even all of those)

Let the suggestions begin !
Old 11-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Are you planning to go to the Grand Canyon? That should be a "do not miss" if you are in the AZ area. I would spend the extra days there.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Always Learning

I love seeing trips like this come together. You'll get countless posts telling you that you're insane for trying it and will be too exhausted to enjoy it. However, rock on and have fun!

I can say that the KOA in Goodland, KS is decent. Nothing spectacular and a little expensive, but they have some really nicely sized pull through spots. Unfortunately you won't be there long enough to enjoy much since it's an overnight stop, but nearby is a couple of things - "The Big Easel" which is the world's largest easel and an hour+ away is Monument Rocks. You can see my pictures from that area:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougse...57658533965618

As for Valley of Fire, NV - you're that close to the Hoover Dam and Vegas Strip. Hoover Dam itself is really neat and good for a tour down into the dam. The Strip, well.. it'd be a stark difference from the rest of the natural beauty that you're enjoying. There's a diner in Boulder, CO called the Southwest Diner - great food but amazing-er peanut butter pie.

Have fun, looks awesome!
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

That's some pretty aggressive mileage between stops. You're going to have a few 10-11 hours on the road days. Figure 45-50 miles per hour average with meal and fuel stops. I haven't been that far west with a RV (been to 49 states) so can't make suggestions for campgrounds except about 35 miles east of Jackson, MS there is Roosevelt State Park just south of Morton, MS. Pretty nice state park only about a mile north off of I-20.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

That's a lot of time behind the wheel. Just reading the miles driven per day wears me out, but I am 68 years old.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Are you planning to go to the Grand Canyon? That should be a "do not miss" if you are in the AZ area. I would spend the extra days there.
We actually went to the west canyon last christmas, and loved it. (we were in Vegas for a wedding, so went to Grand Canyon, Red Rock and Valley of Fire while there). Didn't get a chance to go to the south/east rim tho'
Old 11-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I love seeing trips like this come together. You'll get countless posts telling you that you're insane for trying it and will be too exhausted to enjoy it. However, rock on and have fun!

I can say that the KOA in Goodland, KS is decent. Nothing spectacular and a little expensive, but they have some really nicely sized pull through spots. Unfortunately you won't be there long enough to enjoy much since it's an overnight stop, but nearby is a couple of things - "The Big Easel" which is the world's largest easel and an hour+ away is Monument Rocks. You can see my pictures from that area:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougse...57658533965618

As for Valley of Fire, NV - you're that close to the Hoover Dam and Vegas Strip. Hoover Dam itself is really neat and good for a tour down into the dam. The Strip, well.. it'd be a stark difference from the rest of the natural beauty that you're enjoying. There's a diner in Boulder, CO called the Southwest Diner - great food but amazing-er peanut butter pie.

Have fun, looks awesome!
I sure I *AM* crazy for trying that many miles behind the wheel, but driving has never really bothered me. I used to drive rally cars and race cars competitively, tho' towing a fifth wheel is definitely the other end of the spectrum

I'm trying to keep it below 600 miles / 10 hours actual driving per day.
(will be putting brand new tires on right before the trip)

We're planning to make minimal stops through the mid states, just stopping for bathroom breaks, and to stretch legs etc. (Will probably just have food in a cooler and eat en-route or just do a quick stop at a sub shop etc for lunches).
So up at 7, leave by 8:30 and arrive around 7pm hopefully, on the longer driving days.

We were in Vegas last year, just before Christmas. While we never actually went onto/into the Hoover Dam we did fly (low) over it in a helicopter on the way back from a helicopter tour to the Grand Canyon (and drove past it on our driving day-trip to the Grand Canyon too). We also spent several days on/around the strip so, while we'd like to go back, I think that's for another trip after another couple of years.

The Goodland KOA looked better than some of the other campgrounds along that part of the route, which is why I broke the trip up that way.

Not a peanut-butter fan (I know, most folks think that's another sign that I'm crazy), but my wife loves it, and I'm sure we could find something else good for me to eat there. Thanks for the recommendation
Old 11-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

Our original plan was even longer ...

FL -> Maggie Valley, NC (2 days stay)
NC -> Washington/Jefferson National Forest, VA (2 days stay)
VA -> Cedar Point, OH (1 day stay)
OH -> Niagara Falls (1 day stay)
Niagra -> North MI (2 day stay)
MI -> Superior National Forest, MN (1 day stay)
MN -> Winnipeg
Winnipeg -> Banff (2 overnights enroute)
Banff -> Glacier (2 day stay)
Glacier -> Yellowstone (2 day stay)
Yellowstone -> Boise, ID
ID -> Redwood National Forest

then the rest of the trip the same as our current plan.
Needless to say that was at least 1500 miles longer, and would've needed an extra week or two
Old 11-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
GLCM Warrior

For your stay in the Banff area we would suggest the Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court (Parks Canada - Banff National Park - Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court). We stayed there this past summer (taking our advice from a friendly forum buddy from Calgary ) and it was fantastic for a base camp.

We did miss having a campfire though...so if that's important to you check out some of the other nearby National Park(s) campgrounds.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #10
Just A Member

In Colorado go to Loveland and stay at Riverbend RV Park. It is just out of town on the Big Thompson River. Leave the rig and take the drive up to Estes Park and the Rocky Mountain National Park. Take the day and do the scenic drive through the park. One of the most epic drives I have ever done.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #11

I think your allotted time is fine but keep it fun and don't try to keep an exact time table. I also like to keep moving and seeing things. In the Midwest search for corp of engineers campgrounds. In the west look for BLM campgrounds-no hookups but very inexpensive.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
Dr Travel

Obviously, you have not been on the road much. What is the purpose of this trip - do you have some kind of a checklist you are trying to work your way through? You are going through and near some of the finest country on earth, and you are going to blow through these places in two days/three days? How utterly silly. Hauling a fiver in that giant truck is gonna be very different from what you are accustomed to. Unless you and your wife have butts of steel and a spine that can take such punishment. Imagine going to Banff and not seeing Jasper. Both parks are worthy of a good week just to get the lay of the land. You're skipping Olympic NP, the Oregon Coast, Crater Lake, etc etc etc.I wish you the best, but what a waste of time and miles. Not to mention wear and tear on you and your wife. Ever hear of slowing down and enjoying the flowers a bit? Gaaaaaaah. You must suffer from either a life on steroids or ADD.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #13
jkoenig24

Holy crap, I'm exhausted just reading your planned schedule. You're planning to drive more than 1000 miles a week! In 2013, I did a single, 15,000+ mile trip over five months and, that was a lot of driving. 500+ miles are LONG driving days. Even 300+ miles are a lot. Planning to do that (and more) every day or three; what are you going to have time to see? Then figure an hour or more to set up and button up camp, each time you move. Throw in "lazy teenagers" ("are we there yet") and, homicide becomes a real threat (not sure who'll kill who). What happens if there's illness, a breakdown, bad weather (or other glitch)? I had wanted to see Yosemite that year but it was on fire!

I know that there is SOOOOOO much to see and do across America. I really think you'd be better off in cutting your list significantly and, seeing more of fewer places on this trip. If you do forge ahead, I truly wish you the best of luck; I'm afraid you'll need it.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
Dr Travel

I would second and triple that comment, jkoenig24. Such a trip is borderline insanity and exactly right: you become a drive-by tourist, on a quest to jam in much of nothing while missing all the glory around you.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #15

Just got back from 62 days on the road! Go for it! 8551 miles on the truck, 10 in a taxi, 104 in a shuttle, 4752 in a plane (had to go Hawaii since we where in SF), 110 in a rental car seeing the island, 23 CG, 21 states and saw so much of this country we'll never remember it all!
Good luck and safe travels!
rooksroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #16

I have camped many times at the Watchman campground in Zion's NP and love it. Get reservations early since it will fill up during the summer, especially if you need a pull-through. Easy walking access to Springdale (local town) and free park shuttle. Figure on Las Vegas like temperatures. Hike the steep Angels Landing trail if you really want to experience the park and vertical drop.
The north rim of the Grand Canyon is about a 2-3(?) hour drive from Zion's, so one option might be to stay an extra night and drive down and back to the rim.
Powell is fantastic. I stay at Bullfrog marina so I can't make recommendations about Page, except to make reservations early. RENT A BOAT! Expensive but well worth the cost.
rrfullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #17

Wow! That is quite a trip. I agree with one of there prior replies, You must not miss that Grand Canyon. Bryce Canyon in Utah is worth the trip also. When in Banff Alberta you really must take the short drive west on Hwy. No1 to Lake Louise and iff you have the time the drive North from there, right through the centre of the Canadian Rockies to Jasper, Alberta is truly spectacular. A stop at the Columbia Ice Fields, on the way, is a must. (before global warming cents them gone). One word of warning.... Canada has very strict firearms regulations, especially where it pertains to hand guns and assault rifles. Do NOT even think of attempting to take one into Canada. If you are carrying one, find someplace safe to leave it in the U.S. before you cross. Even though it is presently not illegal to transport ammunition with you, you would be well advised to leave it in the U.S. also as, if found, it will initiate a very thorough search of your property to insure that there are no guns. We have American friends who have experienced this first hand when they had inadvertently forgotten a box of ammo. stored in their rig. Fear not as we here in Canada have one of the lowest gun crime rates in the world and where it does exist it it mostly in the Inner Cities and almost always gang related.
Enjoy your trip and believe me you will not regret a visit into Canada.
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #18

2016 7 week trip

Your trip is similar to what we want to do next summer. Only thing is we need to leave in August. That is a LOT of hours and miles to drive in one day, especially if you only have one driver. Have fun
cap2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #19

Montana visit

If you do make it to Montana I would recommend either Outback Montana RV Park or Glacier Pines RV Park. Outback Montana RV Park is just south of Bigfork on the east side of Flathead lake and Glacier Pines RV Park is just east of Kalispell. Both have reasonable rates, although Glacier Pines RV Park is more centrally located in the valley and closer to Glacier park.
While you are in the area I would definitely visit Bigfork (nice little town right on Flathead lake) and Whitefish at the north end of the valley. If you have the time go to the top of Big mountain, it is a ski resort and you can take the chair lifts to the top, great views in all directions.
Have a safe trip!
Old 11-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #20

Some notes.
North of Banff, AB, CA is some of the prettiest I have seen.
When at Zion Nat Park, I would try to do a day trip to Bryce Canyon National Park
We did Yosemite this summer and had planed 4 nights and only did 2 we had planed 2 at Kings Canyon National Park & Sequoia National Park ( they are part of the same park ) and did 4 nights.
Zion Nat Park to Lake Powell to Alburquerque , I would not do Lake Powell without the boat ride to Rainbow Bridge National Monument, it is an all day ride. I would think of doing Chaco Culture National Historical Park between Lake Powell and Alburquerque.
We dry camp so no help on full hook ups.

So much to see and so little time.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote