Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
When I was in Canada last time, I was told that unless your credit card has a chip, it is not legal in Canada. I don't know if that is true or not.

I do not have to worry on that. All my cards are chips.
I think must credit card companies were supposed to be switched over by mid year in 2019. I could be mistaken.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #22

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
Just to help out a little more, here's a quick tutorial for your trip to Canada that should answer most of your concerns . . .

https://youtu.be/pASE_TgeVg8

GoneSouth - Thank you.

The beer of choice in Canada (Molson)

Cheers!!!!
Ken
Old 02-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #23

Number one thing about crossing the border, don't offer any information that they do not ask for. Seldom are we asked about out dog and only a couple of times have we been asked for her records.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #24
Old Soldier

Guns n ammo

I think that you will find it easier entering Canada than Canadians have entering the US. The one exception being firearms. Unless you plan on doing lots of hunting please leave them at home. Have a great trip, and if you have the time in Nova Scotia, consider driving the Cabot Trail and spending a full day at Fortress Louisbourg... lots to see in Sydney, Halifax and the route down to Digby.
ColonelRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
Number one thing about crossing the border, don't offer any information that they do not ask for. Seldom are we asked about out dog and only a couple of times have we been asked for her records.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelRick View Post
I think that you will find it easier entering Canada than Canadians have entering the US. The one exception being firearms. Unless you plan on doing lots of hunting please leave them at home. Have a great trip, and if you have the time in Nova Scotia, consider driving the Cabot Trail and spending a full day at Fortress Louisbourg... lots to see in Sydney, Halifax and the route down to Digby.

JPCamper - Yes, I have heard that, the less you say the better off you are.
Short & sweet with answers to questions, no extras. Thank you for reminder.

ColonelRick - Definitely leaving the firearms at home. Even with a traveling with a lock box and license, not worth it for hassles crossing the border.

Appreciate response from experienced travelers. First time crossing any border travel with pet and travel trailer. It will be an experience, I am sure.

Ken
Old 02-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #26
CharlieP

Have your registration (s) in hand as you cross the borders. Due to the trailer, they can't see your plate with their cameras and want your plate numbers for their records and online searches.
2018 upgrade from Popup
Charliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
There is one thing I did forget to ask or mention.
My wife has an Amazon Grey Parrot she wishes to take with us.

Would a Certificate of Health be required for border crossing?
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction on internet or who to call.

Appreciate it. Sorry, I neglected to mention that earlier.
Between you and I - the bird & I do not get along.
Had to have hand stitched in two different places due to it.

I travel with an African Grey as well. She is the boss of them all. When I was looking at traveling into Canada, I would of left her with my son in Washington state. You really have to jump through hoops to prove they were hatched in the U.S. I needed her hatch date, where she was hatched and all kinds of info. Don't rely on the fact that they are banded. It does not mean a thing to the border patrol. You will need current health records and after 30 days you will need to have them to checked out by another vet. I also travel with a dog and 3 cats. Yep the whole damn zoo comes along. Since we were not going directly to the Canada I was going to have the health records done for them while in Washington. It ended up we stayed in the states and did date trips into Canada.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #28

One of the things we need when we cross the border with our dog is a immunization record, especially rabies. The border officers have always checked his tag. I don't know if Canadian officers require this of Americans coming to our country. Canadians traveling South have to be aware of certain foods that can not be brought over, e.g. Bananas and meat not in original packaging, again I don't know what the restrictions are coming North.

Glad you are coming up, have a good trip and think km/hr not mph when you see the road signs. And yes we do have a lot of grocery stores and pet food stores. You will be fine.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #29

When we went to Akaska, we crossed the border several times. The Canadian crossing was never a problem, it was coming back to the U.S. that was more of a hassle sometimes.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #30

The best resources for what you can bring for food is the Candian Border Services Agency (CBSA). Its up to date, gives what can and cannot be brought in. Even cash limits, but remember the conversion rate. Banks give better US to Candian than a store will if you use cash.

The food items change by the season and what's going on with animal diseases. This applies both ways.

The US Customs and Border Protection also spell out what you can and cannot bring back. BTW you can bring over limit, just declare it and pay the duty fee.

Always make sure anything you take for food has origin location, even from the butcher if you take meat. Helps prove things coming back if you over pack.

Canada is a lot of Chip and PIN, on your card, so know your PIN. Around tourist areas I've found not so much, but further away is more. Some provinces are prepay fuel.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
Don't forget your charge card and cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Contact your credit card company and let them know where you will be traveling. If not, they may lock your credit card.
Aspendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #32

So I write these international health certificates & many people may be surprised that there are actual regulations on just crossing state lines with your pet - here is the link to get back in the US & at the bottom is the link for crossing different state lines (& pet birds can go - just got to get with an accredited vet to help you get everything in order)

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet...l-dogs-into-us

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliep View Post
Have your registration (s) in hand as you cross the borders. Due to the trailer, they can't see your plate with their cameras and want your plate numbers for their records and online searches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspendog View Post
Contact your credit card company and let them know where you will be traveling. If not, they may lock your credit card.

Charliep --- Thanks for that tip on having TT registration with me in with truck registration to cross border. Certainly would make things a lot easier for all.

Aspendog --- I appreciate that information on notifying credit card companies so as not to be locked out and not be able to use cards.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #34

RE: Requirements w/TT USA-Canada round trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoops! Please, Ignore above Post. Adding answer as a general reference.

Made a call to U.S. Fish & Wildlife. Guess the Bird Stays Home

Told we could take bird to Canada without a problem and cost would be something like $325 for a Permit (3 year) and a $75 Fee to cross border.

It is coming home would be an issue. The fact that an Amazon Grey Parrot is a Protected Species, U.S. Customs would have to confiscated the bird at the border.

Ken

Hmmmm does your wife know this? If not, now you have to decide if it’s worth $400 to get rid of the nasty bird! 🤣

(Joking, of course, pets are for life!)
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
I travel with an African Grey as well. She is the boss of them all. When I was looking at traveling into Canada, I would of left her with my son in Washington state. You really have to jump through hoops to prove they were hatched in the U.S. I needed her hatch date, where she was hatched and all kinds of info. Don't rely on the fact that they are banded. It does not mean a thing to the border patrol. You will need current health records and after 30 days you will need to have them to checked out by another vet. I also travel with a dog and 3 cats. Yep the whole damn zoo comes along. Since we were not going directly to the Canada I was going to have the health records done for them while in Washington. It ended up we stayed in the states and did date trips into Canada.
mdstudey,
I do have records showing the hatch date, passed on by original owner to us.
Surprising that band does not mean anything. States not wild, I am guessing.

Well our trip may be only two weeks, so if Vet certified bird should be good both directions if we even take bird along now.
Earlier post (#18) got some information from Fish & Wildlife in U.S.A. As you stated, easy going into Canada, not so returning. Told Amazon Grey are protected & will be confiscated. Good Bye Bird. Nope, is not gonna happen.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeebill View Post
One of the things we need when we cross the border with our dog is a immunization record, especially rabies. The border officers have always checked his tag. I don't know if Canadian officers require this of Americans coming to our country. Canadians traveling South have to be aware of certain foods that can not be brought over, e.g. Bananas and meat not in original packaging, again I don't know what the restrictions are coming North.

Glad you are coming up, have a good trip and think km/hr not mph when you see the road signs. And yes we do have a lot of grocery stores and pet food stores. You will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansteenburg View Post
The best resources for what you can bring for food is the Candian Border Services Agency (CBSA). Its up to date, gives what can and cannot be brought in. Even cash limits, but remember the conversion rate. Banks give better US to Candian than a store will if you use cash.

The food items change by the season and what's going on with animal diseases. This applies both ways.

The US Customs and Border Protection also spell out what you can and cannot bring back. BTW you can bring over limit, just declare it and pay the duty fee.

Always make sure anything you take for food has origin location, even from the butcher if you take meat. Helps prove things coming back if you over pack.

Canada is a lot of Chip and PIN, on your card, so know your PIN. Around tourist areas I've found not so much, but further away is more. Some provinces are prepay fuel.

TSman --- Yes, numerous folks mentioned that U.S.A. to Canada easy travel, return trip not so much. Thanks!

cherokeebill --- I was aware of immunization records, especially rabies certificate. I was not aware of tags, but they are placed on my dogs collar once received until they expire. I appreciate info.
Must look up the bit on food, travel either direction, not just dogs but people as well. Yes, lots of grocery store and must think kilometers/hour verses miles/hour.

Vansteenburg --- thanks on the tip of Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA) as well as a bank to convert USD money to CD. (Approx $1 = $1.33)

Anyone know anything about people or human food that may be open, whether dry or in frig? Is that allowed? Do they walk thru RV and confiscate?
Old 02-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
So I write these international health certificates & many people may be surprised that there are actual regulations on just crossing state lines with your pet - here is the link to get back in the US & at the bottom is the link for crossing different state lines (& pet birds can go - just got to get with an accredited vet to help you get everything in order)

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet...l-dogs-into-us

Fluffywhitedogs --- FYI - Yep, wife is onboard with leaving bird behind. As a matter of fact, she is the one who stated it and the one who called the Fish & Wildlife department for United States.
I knew you were just giving me a quick short over my comment of bird biting me twice so I need stitches and me hating the dam thing. LOL!!!

Life Without Whine --- I was not aware of restrictions between states. I knew there would be some sort of health check or certificates needed when crossing into other countries.
Thank-you! I will certainly look into both of those.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #38

Pretty sure you will need additional vehicle insurance on your tow vehicle. Make sure your cell phone plan will work in Canada, that's usually an extra charge also. I had a fistful of paperwork ready at the border and all they asked for was my truck plate number.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:40 PM   #39

Open food is fine if its below the limit or not on the prohibited lists.

If you happen to have a prohibited item, keep it handy as they may just take it at the primary station.

The only time they would go thru your rv or vehicle is in a secondary inspection.

Do watch your heights, not all plazas have 14' clearance. Some will post RV in right lane or Autos and RV's. Those will be high enough. I've been at a few smaller ports that you will be with the semis, but the larger ports you'll see the auto/rv signs.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #40

You didn’t mention purchasing out of country medical insurance in case of medical emergency. I’m from Canada and Canadians don’t travel to the USA or anywhere else out of Canada without it. The medical bills are ridiculous and they are exactly the same for US residents visiting Canada. Don’t leave home without it. I’m in the insurance business and this product is definitely recommended for everyone.
Doug Eichel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada