Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 12:02 AM   #1
Forester 3051S 2015

Recent travels California to La Paz, MX via Hwy 1

Fellow Adventurers,

DW and I are planning a trip to La Paz, MX Oct thru Dec 2019 in our 32' Forester MH with 16' towed cargo trailer (48' head to stern).

We've driven roads between La Paz and Cabo San Lucas in a small rental car recently, but nothing north of La Paz. I'm not sure if the roads south of La Paz are typical of the quality of roads further north.

I've heard conflicting reports from people who've travelled Highway 1 in an RV, on the advisability of driving N-S along the Baja.

Some say it's OK, others that there are crazy scary sections (one lane only), and that the semi's hurtling along Hwy 1 don't move over an inch; they could take you out, or at best, push you into the ditch. Or, if you're really lucky, they might only remove a wing mirror. That kinda thing.

The alternative is to take the mainland down to Los Mochis, and take the MX14,000 (each way) ferry trip between Topolobampo and La Paz.

Has anyone out there done the Baja California trip from Tijuana or Mexicali down to La Paz / Cabo San Lucas recently, in a full width (E450) MH?

Could you give feedback on the experience, lessons learned, what you might do differently etc?

Many thanks all!
BMW R1200 GS Adventure (2008)

Namutony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #2

I would like to follow this thread. Sounds like a great trip. Hope you get some information!
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja california, travel