Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
Tom Stauffer

RV GPS Garmin vs. RV Apps

Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better... Garmin RV, or do you use an RV App? Cell phone coverage can be a challenge, so not sure if an app is a good way to go. There is an RV Life app advertised on this Forum too.
tpstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:55 PM   #2

I bought a Garmin RV760 with lifetime map updates about 3-4 years ago. It's been just fine, we argue on occasion but it's a good tool. I also use RV Tripwizard on both my laptop/desktop, for me great in planning and seeing the big picture. I appreciate the Garmin when it tells me in 1-1/2 miles be in the left lane of a 3-4 lane freeway or to stay in either of the two right lanes. I normally drive back roads but when in a high traffic situation it works for me.
Also, depends on if you have a co-pilot to feed info to you...or not.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:26 AM   #3

We actually use the Garmin RV, Google maps and an RV parks app. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but loss of cell phone signals as we travel can be a real problem.... hence the Garmin.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We actually use the Garmin RV, Google maps and an RV parks app. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but loss of cell phone signals as we travel can be a real problem.... hence the Garmin.
For years, when we expect to lose cell service, we have download 100 miles or more ahead (up to 46,332 square miles) in google maps then updated that later when we have service again.

Though the remarkably improved and user friendly interface in our new truck has pretty much replaced google maps (gives lane info for turns and a count-down distance to the turn ... something I'd never seen before in a vehicle gps system). This helped justify the new truck.

I agree, RVTripWizard is great for trip planning. One can download the turn sequence list between stops. I've also had occasion to zoom in a bit and use the snipping tool to grab a map and transfer it to my tablet.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

I had a factory installed GPS on my MH and every time we interred a city area the thing would malfunction. I finally got a Gamin installed it in the dash and never looked back.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:13 PM   #6

Every time we go out we use three tools, or at least have them in the RV:

A 7-year old Garmin

Google Maps

Paper maps

Garmin is preferred, for all the reasons stated above, but it does not contain all the small towns and points of interest. We do a lot of back road traveling and camping.

Google Maps is great, until it 'burps' when you are out of service. Then everything is lost and so are we if the Garmin doesn't have the small town loaded. Until then, I'm watching the Garmin and my wife is watching Google maps.

Paper maps are the reliable fall-back. We carry an Atlas for each state we plan to trave through plus an individual state map for quick rolling reference. We sometimes go 'cross country.' I wish there was a "Roads of Texas" quality atlas for every state.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #7

The CoPilot RV app stores maps for all of North America ON your phone so there is no need for a phone connection anywhere in the country. It is a cheap and excellent app with SOME provision for RV;s and also there is a more expensive RV app. I have the former since we also have the Garmin. You can save a lot of money with the Co Pilot app and it does the job nicely. Suggest you try it before making the big investment in the Garmin...if you prefer the more integrated functionality of the Garmin...the Co Pilot is still an excellent backup.
Regardless...also get yourself an RV Trip Wizard subscription for planning your trips. Killer app!

CoPILOT RV ...
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
Dorothy and the Tinman

We have an older Rand McNally GPS and have been quite pleased with it. We get Lifetime Maps which is map updates for the life of the product. We can plan our route ahead of time and skip or adjust and drive where we are more comfortable. We have only been given bad directions twice in 5 years. Both times we were able to find an acceptable route out. It gives great directions when you are in large cities and you can adjust the distance it gives you on the warnings.

I just looked at the Rand McNally website and I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Our backup is paper maps and an atlas. I use google maps as my last resort as I'm not as proficient with it as I should be.

Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #9

Hope Garmin is the way to go!!!
Just placed an order for a Garmin RV 770 LMT-S RV GPS.
Should be here in 7-10 days.

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #10

Ram sent email within past month saying the 2019 map update is now available for my 2014 Ram 2500.
Cost is $149, decided against doing the factory update and bought the Garmin RV 770 LMT instead.

Only downside to the upside is I'm adding another 7" screen inside cab of truck.
Truck has factory OEM 7"-8" Navigation screen
New 7" Garmin Screen
7" Screen for trailer backup camera system
3"x8" screen for TPMS

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post
This is the Garmin we're looking at purchasing. Please let us know how you like it. We didn't like the negative reviews, which make us a little leary of buying. We're planning a cross country trip this summer and will be getting the RV Trip Planner, but still want a little extra help along the way.
Thanks!

Becky
Member Travel Resorts of America
Retired and adventurous!
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpstauffer View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better... Garmin RV, or do you use an RV App? Cell phone coverage can be a challenge, so not sure if an app is a good way to go. There is an RV Life app advertised on this Forum too.
I bought the RV660 LMT with live traffic monitoring and life time map updating some 2 or 3 years ago. Probably similar to OLdGal3 in message#2 on RV760.

It can be programmed for a regular car, travel trailer, or motor home.
In other words you input the height, length, width, whether you carry propane or not and so on. That is how it determines the routing as to take or not.

I found I had to adjust my height greater than what actually was.
It scared me one time by taking me a route that was dam close for comfort, but still was higher than RV. Everyone has options to do their own thing.
Me - I'd rather be extra cautious and safe, than risk a chance.

Enjoy! Safe Travels!
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post
Garmin RV 770 LMT-S RV GPS ... seems to be good choice ... many on here like it ... I need something ... can I ask were you ordered it from ... Thanks
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #14

I just bought the Garmin 780 after many years with the 760. The 760 works fine but cannot be updated, seems someone tried shoving the wrong cord in it.

I've always found fast shipping and low prices at "theGPSstorecom".
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
Garmin is preferred, for all the reasons stated above, but it does not contain all the small towns and points of interest. We do a lot of back road traveling and camping..
Actually, one thing we like most about our Garmin is its ability to show 'Attractions' and while it doesn't find everything, we've found some really quirky attractions in small towns.
You have to be physically near the small town or attractions to have it appear in the Garmin.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #16

Garmin

X2-oldgal3
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:59 PM   #17

GArmin for us. It is the best at telling you which lane to be in and when to turn. But I believe every one needs an old fashioned paper map. We dont want to be lead down some old logging trail . Check your maps in the morning and let Garmin lead the way.
Fkaske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:16 PM   #18

We have the Garmin RV 770. Updated the maps last August. In Sept it took us thru Astoria, OR, up the hill from the bay, and down the river side of town onto a steep grade marked not for trucks, motor homes, RV's, or trailers. That is the only time in 3 years use that has happened. Glad we were in the TV without the TT. Had enough experience with Garmin, Magellin, and Rand McNally that we keep paper maps from AAA handy. I still use a flip phone so can't speak to the maps apps.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #19
MCTroy

Hands down Garmin 770 is the best. I travel for work and use Waze to check traffic but still use the Garmin even if we aren't towing. Great details and I like its tips on stops to get a break from driving.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
We have the Garmin RV 770. Updated the maps last August. In Sept it took us thru Astoria, OR, up the hill from the bay, and down the river side of town onto a steep grade marked not for trucks, motor homes, RV's, or trailers. That is the only time in 3 years use that has happened. Glad we were in the TV without the TT. Had enough experience with Garmin, Magellin, and Rand McNally that we keep paper maps from AAA handy. I still use a flip phone so can't speak to the maps apps.
Just curious, did you have the GPS set for RV or was it set for car mode? It is supposed to change routing based on what vehicle settings you have put in.

We really like our Garmin 770 RV GPS. It has not steered us wrong yet but when using it for the RV I always preplan my routes using RV trip wizard and review the route before converting it and loading it to the GPS. As many have said, depending on only 1 electronic device to get you there can lead to problems.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote