Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #21

[QUOTE=DougW;2245388]Just curious, did you have the GPS set for RV or was it set for car mode? It is supposed to change routing based on what vehicle settings you have put in.

DougW, I should have stated it was on the RV mode. (I double checked after that event.) We had just dropped the trailer at an RV park after towing for a couple days. We leave it on that setting whether towing or not.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #22

I use an older Garmin 2557, not RV specific. Bought it for the times there is no cell signal, (very often on the open road). My thing with it is you have to plan your route in advance, IN DETAIL. I have had this thing take me on some rides with the trailer. I try to reset the settings, but it still seems to have a mind of it's own. Still find it to be a good investment for those times where I have no clue where I am or how to get where I want to go. I plan to look into the RV specific units.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #23

After reading the reviews on Amazon, sounds like the Garmin RV770 unit still has the same old routing logarithm as the older units. Most complaints are of the stupid routes the GPS tries to make you go, and the fact that the unit will not update the route if you try to go a different way. Doesn't sound like it is much of an improvement over what I have. Think I'll save my money for now.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #24
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post
Ram sent email within past month saying the 2019 map update is now available for my 2014 Ram 2500.
Cost is $149, decided against doing the factory update and bought the Garmin RV 770 LMT instead.

Only downside to the upside is I'm adding another 7" screen inside cab of truck.
Truck has factory OEM 7"-8" Navigation screen
New 7" Garmin Screen
7" Screen for trailer backup camera system
3"x8" screen for TPMS
Same here Glowplug! I just pretend I'm piloting the space shuttle. I hang observation cam monitor in front of rear view mirror, so at least that's out of the way. Agree about factory updates, they are a rip-off. For the same price, you can get a stand alone GPS with lifetime map updates, AND my Garmin shows traffic when it's coupled to the Garmin app.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #25
Tom Stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I just bought the Garmin 780 after many years with the 760. The 760 works fine but cannot be updated, seems someone tried shoving the wrong cord in it.

I've always found fast shipping and low prices at "theGPSstorecom".
Thanks- I will check out the gpsstore site
Tom

2021 Alliance 310RL
2019 F350 XLT Super Cab 6.7 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel
tpstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #26

Garmin RV 780

I have the Garmin RV 780 and have used it all last season - I love it.
One of the best features is you can pre-plan your trip using BaseCamp and download it to the GPS. This way, you can bypass things like low clearances, pick a different route compared to what the GPS wants, etc.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Garmin RV 770 LMT-S RV GPS ... seems to be good choice ... many on here like it ... I need something ... can I ask were you ordered it from ... Thanks
TheGPSStore.com
Paid $229.95 Delivered

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #28
Fla5er

When we travel my wife is constantly looking at her cell phone. It's fine until she finds a 'shorter' route..... Almost 9 times out of 10 when we take the shorter route, we're on a cow path with low overhangs or rough roads with potholes that would swallow a D9 Cat...!

Seriously, we do Garmin some of the time, but when we change routes due to construction the Garmin wants us to do a u-turn or take the next right, etc. and not re-route right away. Personally I prefer the paper maps, with a backup from either the Garmin or her phone. When we use the paper maps we do just fine.
I guess I'm old school: sometimes that's the best way.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #29

Atlas

With a few talking about using paper maps, I'll be purchasing 2020 maps but wanted to ask which ones to purchase.
Separate state maps with every road in the state listed, or a big book of maps.
What is the Best spiral bound book for Maps to purchase.
Thanks

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post
With a few talking about using paper maps, I'll be purchasing 2020 maps but wanted to ask which ones to purchase.
Separate state maps with every road in the state listed, or a big book of maps.
What is the Best spiral bound book for Maps to purchase.
Thanks
We usually stop by the AAA store and pick up state specific maps. They also have a pretty good Atlas, but not sure it comes in a spiral bound version.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #31

So for those that use maps, how can you tell bridge heights and such?

In the past year I've had to make two trips (via just a pickup truck) to Connecticut and Mass. Google Maps on my iPhone took me ways whereby the bridges were 10 and 11 feet tall. Told my bride that if we had our camper we'd be in a world of hurt. So my quest is on for a mapping tool that will take into consideration bridge height, etc.

Wish Google would have an option for that. I find their maps to be accurate and with traffic monitoring good for detouring. But sure don't want to be detoured or routed via a non RV friendly route.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post

In the past year I've had to make two trips (via just a pickup truck) to Connecticut and Mass. Google Maps on my iPhone took me ways whereby the bridges we 10 and 11 feet tall. Told my bride that if we had our camper we'd be in a world of hurt. So my quest is on for a mapping tool that will take into consideration bridge height, etc.

Wish Google would have an option for that. I find their maps to be accurate and with traffic monitoring good for detouring. But sure don't want to be detoured or routed via a non RV friendly route.
I have not used, but have read about the Truckers Road Atlas. Just looked it up on Amazon and there seems to be a couple types - you'll have to decide what works for you (some are spiral bound). Rand McNally 2020 Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas is one option.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #33
Fla5er

jd4010: If you have a smart phone, try using an app called All Stays Camp and RV. For the height of bridges and overpasses, it is quite accurate. The app is filled with many elements of operation and it will take some trial and error to get used to, but it has saved us from low overhead. The app is about $10 to download.

As far as paper maps are concerned, the 'single state' map as opposed to a binder is a challenge to re-fold while traveling, and the spiral bound maps are good, but if you have a large state to travel through, then there could be several pages that separate regions and could be a bit confusing to try to piece the journey together. We have the large print version from Walmart and it serves us fine, but it's intended for general use by car. Does not provide height/weight restrictions, nor does it include steep grades.

Agree with OldGal3 that from what I've heard for paper maps a good one is the Motor Carriers Road Atlas by Rand McNally. I briefly looked through one at a truck stop and it is very comprehensive and it takes a lot of getting-used to.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #34
Fla5er

One more thing about All Stays Camp and RV: we have found that if there is a warning about height, zoom in on the location because there are instances where we thought that we would have to re-route, where the actual location of the low overhead was on a side road, and not on our path of travel. There are other features that you can can use on it as well; such as steep grades, rest stops, etc.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post

In the past year I've had to make two trips (via just a pickup truck) to Connecticut and Mass. Google Maps on my iPhone took me ways whereby the bridges were 10 and 11 feet tall. Told my bride that if we had our camper we'd be in a world of hurt. So my quest is on for a mapping tool that will take into consideration bridge height, etc.

After getting some feedback on here I went with the Rand McNally 2020 Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas from Amazon.
https://tinyurl.com/ygdsqq6q
Seems this version will tell you where the low bridges are located and at what heights.
I bought the spiral version @ 40 bucks, cheap insurance...

Old 01-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
jd4010: If you have a smart phone, try using an app called All Stays Camp and RV. For the height of bridges and overpasses, it is quite accurate. The app is filled with many elements of operation and it will take some trial and error to get used to, but it has saved us from low overhead. The app is about $10 to download.

As far as paper maps are concerned, the 'single state' map as opposed to a binder is a challenge to re-fold while traveling, and the spiral bound maps are good, but if you have a large state to travel through, then there could be several pages that separate regions and could be a bit confusing to try to piece the journey together. We have the large print version from Walmart and it serves us fine, but it's intended for general use by car. Does not provide height/weight restrictions, nor does it include steep grades.

Agree with OldGal3 that from what I've heard for paper maps a good one is the Motor Carriers Road Atlas by Rand McNally. I briefly looked through one at a truck stop and it is very comprehensive and it takes a lot of getting-used to.
Great Tip on Road Atlas and the All Stays Camp & RV Information. I'll download it today.
Thanks

Old 01-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #37

I have the Garmin 770 and think it's great. No complaints from me.
McDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #38

I use the same Cobra GPS that I used when I hauled hazmat loads across the country, the only differences are that my trailer is now 30' long instead of 53', I'm not hauling anything close to 80,000lbs and I'm not carrying anything in it that is a hazardous material.

It also came with lifetime map updates, and the built in GPS that was factory installed in my truck has Sirius traffic updates, it can tell me where the 5 closest gas stations are on my route with pricing at each of them, I just select the one I want to go to and it tells me how to get there. It also gives me the weather conditions on my route and it will display a doppler radar weather map. It can also display what's playing at the local movie theater, and sports scores among the other bells and whistles it has.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting546 View Post
I use the same Cobra GPS that I used when I hauled hazmat loads across the country, the only differences are that my trailer is now 30' long instead of 53', I'm not hauling anything close to 80,000lbs and I'm not carrying anything in it that is a hazardous material.

It also came with lifetime map updates, and the built in GPS that was factory installed in my truck has Sirius traffic updates, it can tell me where the 5 closest gas stations are on my route with pricing at each of them, I just select the one I want to go to and it tells me how to get there. It also gives me the weather conditions on my route and it will display a doppler radar weather map. It can also display what's playing at the local movie theater, and sports scores among the other bells and whistles it has.
That sounds really nice! How long have you had it...model #? Might be out of my price range, but I'd like to look...just for fun
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting546 View Post
I use the same Cobra GPS that I used when I hauled hazmat loads across the country...
Got my attention. What model number and where does one find it? Does it stand alone so it can be moved between rigs? Was not aware of such a GPS.