Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Got my attention. What model number and where does one find it? Does it stand alone so it can be moved between rigs? Was not aware of such a GPS.
The trucker gps unit is the 5600 Pro LM 5" gps, yes it can be easily moved between vehicles as it uses suction cups to mount it on the windshield.

If you're asking about the one that came in my current truck, it's the OEM Ford Sync3 navigation system.

You can probably find the cobra unit on ebay, the last time I checked, used ones were running around $100.

Amazon has a really nice 9" trucker GPS with lifetime map updates for $78.99, https://smile.amazon.com/Touchscreen...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

I couldn't find one on ebay but here are the search results for trucker gps units.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...600+pro+lm+gps
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #42

Been using Bad Elf plugged into my iPad running the CoPilot app for years. Like the bigger screen.
Jakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:45 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpstauffer View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better... Garmin RV, or do you use an RV App? Cell phone coverage can be a challenge, so not sure if an app is a good way to go. There is an RV Life app advertised on this Forum too.
Garmin makes some really good products but several years ago I gave the Garmins to the kids and strictly use Google Maps on my phone ported to Android Auto if available. If you plot a route that will have weak or non existant cell signals it will download the entire map for you and work just like a Garmin does off of GPS signals alone. Cars, motorcycles or RV, that's what works for me.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better... Garmin RV, or do you use an RV App? Cell phone coverage can be a challenge, so not sure if an app is a good way to go. There is an RV Life app advertised on this Forum too.

We use both Google Maps on phone and Garmen
poorbabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #45

We use Rand McNally. Found google maps tend to think everyone is in a car, and the RV is not as comfortable driving twists and turns as a smaller vehicle. Our RN has life time maps and an incredible site that gives routs, miles, time for our RV to reach the destination, (not the same as a car), estimated fuel expenses. This also allows for you to put in your information for height, onboard propane, and other info to make it just as you want for curves ahead so on and so on.

Always Prazing
Linda
Prazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #46

I use RVTrip Wizard for planning. Used to have a Garmin that died a couple of years ago in Canada. Bought a TomTom to replace it and use this now along with trip wizard. Although the TomTom is not as RV friendly as the Garmin, it is way more reasonably priced and does a great job of getting me where I want to go.

The problem with GPS units is when you lose the sun due to fog/cloud cover/trees and the signal. So it's good to have had a second reference.
Oltimer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oltimer13 View Post
The problem with GPS units is when you lose the sun due to fog/cloud cover/trees and the signal. So it's good to have had a second reference.
Ummm, maybe you need to do a bit of research Oltimer, the sun going behind fog/clouds has absolutely nothing to do with your GPS signal.

And just to clear up a constant fallacy on this forum:
Not having cell service will make no difference when using apps like CoPilot on your cell phone. The maps are stored on the phone and the mapping program works even when you have zero cell signal.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #48

Not having cell service will make no difference when using apps like CoPilot on your cell phone. The maps are stored on the phone and the mapping program works even when you have zero cell signal.[/QUOTE]

Is that also the case for Google Maps?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Not having cell service will make no difference when using apps like CoPilot on your cell phone. The maps are stored on the phone and the mapping program works even when you have zero cell signal.
Is that also the case for Google Maps?[/QUOTE]

I never use Google maps so I don't know the answer. Sorry.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #50

I looked up CoPilot on Google Play and noticed it is a European based product. Does it work well in the US? Also, seems there are quite a few complaints about the updated version not being as good as the original. Free? I didn't get that far.

My other two cents worth is I have a Garmin 660. For the most part, it has worked well for us. The one big issue I had with it was trying to plan a return route from Deadwood, SD two years ago. We knew we had to jump on I90 East, but no matter what I did on the Garmin it wanted us to go I90 West. At our first fuel stop, I did get it to proper route us with a similar route home. One thing I was told before I ever bought my first GPS was they often will plot different routes for the same destinations or returns. I have found this true with my Garmin, Magellan, laptop-based GPS, and Google or any other online-based directions mapping system.

So for us, we use our Garmin, Google or Waze to track traffic, road conditions, and police traps, and my DW like to track our progress on a 10-year-old Rand McNally Atlas to pass time and watch for upcoming towns we may want to stop at.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #51

Garmin RV660 + Basecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
I have the Garmin RV 780 and have used it all last season - I love it.
One of the best features is you can pre-plan your trip using BaseCamp and download it to the GPS. This way, you can bypass things like low clearances, pick a different route compared to what the GPS wants, etc.
Same except I have the 660.

One note, I turn off the trailer mode when just using my TV otherwise it will sometimes only route you on RV approved routes which can be longer.
LawlessFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #52

Quote:
i bought the garmin rv770 and it's been good to me. You can use it as a regular gps or a Rv gps with the touch of a icon. you change the parameters for your truck and trailer weight height etc.. and it comes with lifetime updates . I use it alot as a regular gps and it's never got me in a bind with my 5th in tow. I will agree with other comments though sometimes we disagree on the route but it's a solid unit
polecat28328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I looked up CoPilot on Google Play and noticed it is a European based product. Does it work well in the US? Also, seems there are quite a few complaints about the updated version not being as good as the original. Free? I didn't get that far.

While Trimble has purchased CoPilot...that is a good thing as Trimble is the equivilent or better than Garmin in the commercial navigation world.
The CoPilot works very well in the USA and CANADA with maps for both countries stored ON your phone.
Instead of reading reviews from Europe...why not download the app and try it for 14 days free. YES it costs ##... 20 bucks for basic car/pickup navigation...$29 bucks for the RV version which allows your entry of RV dimensions and then avoids routes that are not suitable...just like Garmin. I also find it much easier to use as a trip planner than my Garmin is...but now I use RV Trip wizard for that purpose since it is far superior to either.
Go to the CoPilot website for a much better presentation and answers to your questions. www.copilotgps.com
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #54

Android Auto GPS + paper atlas for backup

Both my car and my truck have built-in GPS which I never use.

I use google maps and we have a paper atlas as a backup.
My issues with the built in maps/dedicated GPS devices are:

1. my car/truck does not have my saved locations installed - it is a LOT of work to transfer saved locations from my Android phone.
2. I have to learn a new system per car whereas I have spent a lot of time learning the peculiarities of google maps on Android
3. I don't to pay for updates with Google maps
4. google maps keeps updated information and (usually) tracks traffic information such as crashes, road closures, etc.
5. I do trip planning at home on my desktop where google maps or RVParky work just fine and then they show up on my Android (or Apple) product.

Just bear in mind that Google Maps messes up sometimes (everything does) and use some common sense. The biggest issue with Google maps is that it does the shortest distance route which is not necessarily suitable when pulling a 5th wheel.
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote