Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #1

RV GPS or App to avoid tall and steep bridges and overpasses

Hi everyone! This is my first post! We are taking posession of our first camper, a East to West Della Terra 27 KNS this week. We're a family of six and looking forward to new memories of fun, family, and friends!

Now to my question. I live in Texas where they design highway overpasses and bridges that go into the upper-stratosphere and I get super nervous on those things in my daily driver. I want to avoid them entirely when towing the TT. I've read on this forum how good RV GPS apps (Garmin, CoPilot RV, etc) are, but do any models have a way to avoid these super steep and tall highway overpasses and bridges?

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to the journey.
ToastedDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #2

i doubt it, there are travel apps that will route you around low bridges for clearance issues but not to fight/avoid Acrophobia.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #3

Thanks! I guess it's "Avoid highways" for me!
ToastedDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #4

May want to avoid crossing the Rio Grande Gorge then

https://www.austinchronicle.com/colu...idge-taos-n-m/Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20210505-131533_Firefox%20Beta.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	253683
Old 05-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #5

I have the same problem with some of the interchanges in Texas. They certainly help with traffic flow, they are also scary as heck. With the pickups and the class C it was bad enough, with the Class A the added height makes the view even more straight down. I just try to concentrate on the rear bumper of the car in front of me or on the center of the lane if no one is in front. There is no good solution because trying to avoid the interchanges is going to mean driving on surface roads which can be a real pain with an RV.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #6

I have similar issues with heights. When facing high over passes or bridges I immediately move to the center lane if there are three lanes or the passing lane if there are two lanes. The bridge on I10 at Port Charles LA was a real challenge but I headed for the left lane, slowed down and pushed through.
My biggest challenge is driving on roads that have sharp drop offs. When we plan a trip I make sure we wonít be driving up and mountains. Iím aware that there are many places especially in the western US that we wonít get to see but there are also many coastal places that are there to enjoy.
2016 Jeep Wrangler
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #7

I will admit I'm not a fan of the super high overpasses, especially steep ones that curve. They put in one from I10 to I19 in Tucson that made me a little nervous to pull the RV over, but after doing it a few times I don't even think about it now.
There are some phobias you just need to get over.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #8

Dang, I love the view ��
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastedDoom View Post
Thanks! I guess it's "Avoid highways" for me!
I think Garmin makes one now that you can plug in to detour around those problems, check out the new Garmins.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Until you get that GPS, add this bridge to the loathsome avoid at all costs, I started a discussion on it I was so freaked out. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ng-195570.html
Old 05-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to MVL1947
Thumbs up RV GPS

I have been using Garmin GPS for trucks to travel throughout Canada and USA for a few with an annual free update and quite pleased with the routes proposed. The application will require that you enter your height, weight, propane capacity, width ....etc. Check their web site. Good luck
MVL1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredintexas View Post
Dang, I love the view ��
So do I! But you can't be a firefighter, if you're afraid of heights.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #13

RV Trip Wizard is trip-planning software that includes the elevation and grade of the route. It does not specify if the grade is related to a bridge and does not have a setting to avoid bridges, so I don't know if that helps. It does avoid low clearance bridges, but that's about driving under them, not over them.

I created a trip from Kremmling, CO to Hartsel, CO as an example. They're just random places I picked to show extreme grade changes. A screenshot is below.

RV Trip Wizard has a demo mode you can play with to see how it works, but you can't change anything. It also has a 7-day trial. I have no association with the vendor, which is also the owner of this forum. I am only a subscriber and find it worthwhile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-06 184012.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	253793
Old 05-06-2021, 05:57 PM   #14
jkoenig24

"i doubt it, there are travel apps that will route you around low bridges for clearance issues"

WRONG

Low Clearance POI - GPS Data

LowClearances data can be imported into many GPS units or used as a stand alone product. Re; "steepness", there AREs App for that too:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Mountain+H...e&t=osx&ia=web
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
"i doubt it, there are travel apps that will route you around low bridges for clearance issues"

WRONG

Low Clearance POI - GPS Data

LowClearances data can be imported into many GPS units or used as a stand alone product. Re; "steepness", there AREs App for that too:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Mountain+H...e&t=osx&ia=web
This is not about low clearance bridges.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
RV Trip Wizard is trip-planning software that includes the elevation and grade of the route. It does not specify if the grade is related to a bridge and does not have a setting to avoid bridges, so I don't know if that helps. It does avoid low clearance bridges, but that's about driving under them, not over them.

I created a trip from Kremmling, CO to Hartsel, CO as an example. They're just random places I picked to show extreme grade changes. A screenshot is below.

RV Trip Wizard has a demo mode you can play with to see how it works, but you can't change anything. It also has a 7-day trial. I have no association with the vendor, which is also the owner of this forum. I am only a subscriber and find it worthwhile.

Attachment 253793
We use RV Trip Wizard for all of our trips. We love it. We went from Pa to TX to FL and planned all of our driving days and campgrounds using RV Trip Wizard. 5,000 miles over an 8 week period of time. We even use it for short trips trips as a way to keep track of all of our trips. RV Trip Wizard is very user friendly.
2016 Jeep Wrangler
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #17

Not to bust on anyone.
But this explains a lot about some of the driving you see on the road. I wonder what other phobias have an impact on how people drive.

I am sure it's a terrible way to live. I don't understand it. Irrational is simply that. But then what do I know. I just went on my first zip line adventure at 73.
Good luck all.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Have you done William Preston Lane Jr. Memorial Bridge, known as the Bay Bridge yet? That was first time I ever felt that way. And I used to Australian rappel as part of my previous career.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Not to bust on anyone.
But this explains a lot about some of the driving you see on the road. I wonder what other phobias have an impact on how people drive.

I am sure it's a terrible way to live. I don't understand it. Irrational is simply that. But then what do I know. I just went on my first zip line adventure at 73.
Good luck all.
I think we're the exception. Otherwise it would have been difficult for you to be a soldier and for me to be a firefighter/EMT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Have you done William Preston Lane Jr. Memorial Bridge, known as the Bay Bridge yet? That was first time I ever felt that way. And I used to Australian rappel as part of my previous career.
At the risk of getting even further off topic - there is a company that offers to drive your vehicle over for you for $25. Not sure about RVs, but they include rental cars, motorcycles and commercial vehicles. https://www.kentislandexpress.com/dr...le-service.htm

I've slept in 45 states and four provinces, but I have to start a new map for my camper!
EcoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote