Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #1

RV-specific GPS. Is it worth it?

Hello! I've seen some talk about RV specific GPS'. Is it worth it? If you have one, does it show height limits for bridges and tunnels? Of course on a major highway, if a semi can pass so can we, but just wondering if the GPS will show better roads to travel, etc.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #2

Yes. I think it is worth it, especially if you are planning to get a new GPS anyway.

If you put in the dimensions and weight of your RV it will do a very good job of avoiding bridges and tunnels and roads that are not suitable for the RV.

I have the Garmin RV770 and am very happy with it, it also works great for the car. The newer models are most likely even better.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #3

I'm still using the Garmin RV660 that I bought in Dec/2016 - just updated the maps last week. Has saved my bacon a couple times in difficult areas that I wasn't familiar with and found me an RV park in S/E Idaho when I didn't want to continue in nasty wind. Very pleased and I doubt I use 50% of it's functions, but those I do use work for me.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower0527 View Post
just wondering if the GPS will show better roads to travel, etc.
Depends on where you're going to travel.
Our Garmin770 showed us good routes, but it also told me to turn right on the side of a mountain where the road was several hundred feet below us. Took us into an onion field in NY once. Trust but verify with another source.
It will help you locate campgrounds and other attractions when you actually get near the place you want to camp, but doesn't do as well at finding them until you get close.

Ours was definitely worth the money, but we tend to wander on our camping journeys.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #5

Gps

My Garmin 770 gps works most of the time. Sent me up some wrong roads. Voice Command is difficult at best. I have had many Garmin devices over the years and this is a major disappointment. Would not buy it again.
BaltimoreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Retired Engineer

You should absolutely use an RV-specific GPS or smartphone app. Clearances, weight restrictions, steep inclines, and sharp turns can be a real issue. And if you go places where cell service is bad you need a stand-alone GPS. We learned the hard way that your smartphone app won't recalculate your route unless it has service. And if you deviate from you planned route, your downloaded maps won't help you either. We now have a Garmin 780.
bcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #7

Have the Garmin RV770, and am somewhat dissapointed with it. Voice command is an entertaining joke, BUT it keeps the LW amused. . . We use a combo of phone and an older GPS. LIke was stated above "VERIFY!" We have been sent to non existant campgrounds and missed others completly. HOWEVER, I use and trust the three Garmin GPS's in my airplane...
Stormy Dayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #8

RV GPS

I have an older Garmin. I need to update mine as it is 5 years old. I prefer it due to the size of the screen, ability to put it on dash in line of sight, and the ability to put in size of RV. It is not perfect but has gotten across the country several times. As others said, newer ones are even better. Prefer over, Apple maps, Goggle maps, Ford navigation-would not travel w/o it.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #9

We use a Magellan for RV’s. Unlike the Garmins, ours comes with free updates and maps. Yes, you do plug in your Rv’s height, length, & weight, fuel type, and if you have a toad. When you need fuel, it won’t direct you to a station you can’t get out of (tight turns, can’t back up, etc.). It IS slow with the touch reaction, but does come with all the Good Sam campgrounds pre-programmed into it. Of course, you can find all the other campgrounds as well. I like this because I can load our whole itinerary with all our stops and the next morning, we just “continue”. It also indicates which lane you will need to be in way in advance of a turn or exit, which is extremely helpful. It has a warning for speed limits built into it. It also has attractions, shopping, groceries, hospitals, entertainment, etc., pre-programmed for your destination or along the way. Yes, it is a little slow in the reaction time when entering information but other than that, it’s a really good GPS.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopie1 View Post
We use a Magellan for RV’s. Unlike the Garmins, ours comes with free updates and maps.
I believe the Garmin RV GPS also come with free lifetime map updates/upgrades. I'm still using my RV660 and get the free updates/maps and all the other things you mentioned. Need to check them all,then pick the best one for your use.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #11

RV Life is awesome app that has Mobile app also. You can down load the directions to your mobile app In Case you lose cell service in route! It lets you put in weight height and other things about RV and gives you RV friendly routes I love it saved me from a lot of high rpms in Montana and Wyoming around Yellowstone and Glacier Montana. It gives you several option such as no toll roads no unpaved roads no tunnels no ferries etc Trip Wizard and RV Life combined and has lots of great info about campgrounds etc etc. and is a lot cheaper than specific GPS in my opinion the best way to go. All cell phones have Google maps and I believe they are updated faster than the gps units. Good Luck
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #12

My garmin came with lifetime maps AND traffic. (770) but I'll also mention that you can get the CO-PILOT app for your phone which DOWNLOADS the maps you need into the phone memory so you are not reliant on a good cell connection like google.
They have a reasonably priced RV specific app. We run both when on the road as they won't always agree. Either way...I would not leave the interstate without an RV specific route BUT it is also important to note that not every road that will accommodate you is included as "safe".
When it looks like I'm being routed the long way... I'll also hit google maps satellite view and look for trucks on the road I'm thinking about taking. So far...so good!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #13

I have the Garmin Rv 760 for the past 9 years, with our trailers being 13.5’ high and our current rig total length of about 58’, we could not due without it.
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #14

RV GPS

I have used on for the past 3 TT I have owned! Love the fact with mine if I get tired on the road, I can call up RV parks from closest to furthest. It displays ratings and Park phone numbers so I can call ahead for reservations!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:34 AM   #15

For the past 15 years or so we have used the GPS in the Pioneer AVIC 5000 and 7001 NEX units. They have worked out fine for us.

No pre programmed campgrounds but when we enter the address it takes us right there.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:23 AM   #16
Camp to Live

Absolutely!!! I have the RV Life app on my phone! came within 6” or less of ripping the roof off like tin can without one! Was using Copilot gps app, until I went down a road, and low and behold, there was a covered bridge..only 8’10” high!!! Obviously had to back up, that was fun!! The RV Life app I use now has saved me and rerouted that the others were not..(I always verify now!!)
Ohio_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #17

I like em

I've had different Garmin GPS units for decades in both my cars and boats. This year I picked up a Garmin RV 780 for pulling the TT. The best thing about it is - it doesn't try to route me onto parkways like the dedicated "car" GPS units do.

One other nice feature is that Garmin has backup cameras that pair with the GPS unit. You can switch between the GPS map display and the backup camera display on the same monitor. In other words, I don't need a different backup camera monitor mounted on my dashboard. One less thing to get in the way.
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopie1 View Post
We use a Magellan for RV’s. Unlike the Garmins, ours comes with free updates and maps.

Software and Map updates are indeed free for the Garmin RV series units.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #19

gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower0527 View Post
Hello! I've seen some talk about RV specific GPS'. Is it worth it? If you have one, does it show height limits for bridges and tunnels? Of course on a major highway, if a semi can pass so can we, but just wondering if the GPS will show better roads to travel, etc.
Yes it is worth it.Truckers and tour bus operators use them Just remember to plug in the length including tow car, height and width. On one trip to see friends in Pennsylvania, my wife was using the car GPS and I was using the RV one. The car indicated one route and the RV another. The car indicated a shorter route. This was a mistake. Narrow roads and very bumpy. So always use the RV.
steven skare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #20

Thank you all so much for your responses. It will be something we will get eventually, probably not before our GA trip, but I think we'll be ok. :-)