Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Site Team

Several "First" on this trip

I just returned from a 3 day trip that I truly enjoyed. There were several “Firsts” on this trip.
· Getting gas while towing
· Driving on a 7 ½ % grade hill
· Having a tree jump out & wracking the radio antenna
· Parallel parking the trailer & then hitching up while in a somewhat of a jack knife position
· Dry camping
· Driving in crazy LA traffic
· Backing into a site on the first attempt

I have avoided getting gas while hitched because of a little fear of the unknown. This summer I committed to checking this off my “To-Do” list.
Driving to El Captain SB (North of Santa Barbara) provided a “Bunny hill” to test the waters on driving on hills. I ended up exiting one exit too soon and had to loop around to get back on the highway. In doing so there was a tree branch that made contact with my trailer. Turns out it was the radio antenna that got bent. (Already checked and there isn’t any roof damage.)

First campground:
My site was listed as a “pull through” site only to find out otherwise upon arriving. I was on the end cap next to a wall. The good news is that I had a great view of the ocean so the parallel parking turned out to be worth it. All the neighbors helped me get the tt in. I had to come in at a funny angle to avoid the construction area and to miss my neighbor’s slide out. This meant I needed to hitch up in a similar position. Took a couple of adjustment to get the ball position correctly but wasn’t a problem. I pulled away from my site to put on the wh bars and anti-sway bar while the truck & trailer was lined up better.

This was my first time dry camping. No problems at all. Someday I would like to get a generator so I can charge items like the laptop, DVD player, etc.
On the way to the second campground close to home I got exposed to the crazy drivers of the LA area. Not sure how I missed them on the way up but I did. That 7 ½ % hill was different going up but no problem as I took it slow and steady.

Second campground/full hookups:
This was the first time I was able to back into a site by myself. No problem at all but it was a good size site to start with.
After hooking up I opened the faucets to empty the fresh water tank. This was taking a long time so I took an extended shower to help use up the fresh water before turning on the water valve. I live in a city with crazy rules. We cannot dump the fresh water tank on the street or driveway because the water could end up in the street gutter. However, we can wash the RV in the driveway.

When I dropped off the trailer at the storage place I got it backed into my space where I wanted it on the first and only attempt. It’s funny but it’s easier to do with RVs on either side of my space.

Know that this means??
I no longer suck at backing up!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steps by beach IMG01709-20120620-1414.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	15607
El Capitan SB: Hidden staircase to the beach - not used much today

Name:	Pathway El Captian SB IMG01705-20120620-1148.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	15608
El Capitan SB pathway - shortcut to the beach from camp

Name:	Cottonwood cg 2012 IMG01774-20120621-1936.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	15609
Cottonwood @ Rancho Jurupa, Riverside CA

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Congratulations on your "Rookie" outing. Sounds like you learned a lot and everything came back undamaged. Very sucessful trip!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Site Team

I have said it before but it was your feedback on hitching up that has made a big difference in being able to hitch up in the first place.

As for coming back undamaged the antenna isn't as straight as it used to be but it was just in the way. (jk)

Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #4

Sounds like you had a good time. I also have a Tudra, but the got the crewmax for the kids. Great truck for pulling. Just did 11,000 miles pulling my trailer. You should have NO problems with that trailer. When you get a generator the the automatic start. It's nice not to have to get up in the morning to start the generator. Just hit the button on your key phob. Have fun camping.
Cswnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignaflorez View Post
Wow, i am also thinking to go on a trip, i don't know to start but with my boyfriend i think we can plan a trip on special place. anyway congrats
Start with deciding where you would like to end up and work from there. Recommend keeping it simple and not sweating the small stuff.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #6

Congrats. I've only bought gas hitched up at truck stops -if they can make it so can I, right?

Last 3 camping trips I got it in the right spot on the first try. Watched many this weekend do Forwards/Reverse 4 to 6 times to get themselves in place. Our normal CG is hilly, gravely with some ruts and LOTS of trees so you learn to 'thread the needle' so to speak. This weekend was a grassy a grassy CG with large lots in ohio..not sure why so many had such issues.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cswnow View Post
Sounds like you had a good time. I also have a Tudra, but the got the crewmax for the kids. Great truck for pulling. Just did 11,000 miles pulling my trailer. You should have NO problems with that trailer. When you get a generator the the automatic start. It's nice not to have to get up in the morning to start the generator. Just hit the button on your key phob. Have fun camping.
Yes, I did have a good time. I will go back early next summer. I hope to have a generator by then too. Of course it will have the auto start.

I really like the Tundra. Great truck. Someday I hope to take a extended trip with my trailer like you.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
TeresaInCAL

Sounds like a GREAT trip! Can you share what campgrounds you visited, how much, and if you liked them? I'm always looking for new CA places ESPECIALLY on/near the ocean!

Were you by yourself?
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Hi Teresa,

It was El Capitan State Beach, north of Santa Barbara. I really liked it when I tent camp there a couple of years ago. There are large trees for shade and you can hear the ocean at the campsite. Most of the sites are large so your neighbor isn't right under your nose. There are no hook ups or dump station at this campground.

I'm heading to San Clemente SB for Labor Day. There is a partial ocean view from some of the sites in the first row. RV sites are real close together but there are full hook ups.

Crystal Cove Moro is another SB in Laguna/Newport area. E&W hookups, no sewer but there are dump stations. The sites are large and the bathroom/showers are new. There are view of the ocean from campsite and you can see the fireworks on the 4th of July. No fires allowed. Beach looks nice but recommend driving down that killer of a hill instead of walking.

I'll come back and post prices.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Site Team

El Capitan: $45 per night during peak season / $35 per night non-peak season. No hook ups.

San Clemente: $60 per night for hook ups. Sites without hook ups are about half as much.

Crystal Cove Moro: $70 per night -E&W hook ups, dump station.

South Carlsbad: Select sites have full hook ups - in the Crystal Cove price range if I remember correctly. Most of the sites are without hook ups so maybe $45 a night. I can check if you need me to.

If you have a disable parking permit from DMV you can apply for a discount card that is 50% off the general fee.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
TeresaInCAL

Great info!! Yowza, Crystal Cove is pricy! I can look up s. Carlsbad, thank you! I've been pinning good cmpsights on Pinterest lately. Seems word of mouth is really the best way to find good spots.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #12

Awesome firsts! Sounds like you did great! Looks like it was a fun trip! San Clemente is a great town....at least it was when I lived there (steps to the beach) back in the mid 80's. Cant wait to see the pics from there!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
Site Team

Teresa
I forgot to answer your questions - I do camp by myself. Twice my cousin has joined me and her & her DH lives in Las Vegas so it's a bit of a drive.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Awesome firsts! Sounds like you did great! Looks like it was a fun trip! San Clemente is a great town....at least it was when I lived there (steps to the beach) back in the mid 80's. Cant wait to see the pics from there!
I do like San Clemente and it's a great town as you already said. I do cheat by driving down to the parking area when I go to the beach. I do have lots of pictures from previous trips. Some of my albums are not displaying correctly yet. The sunset pic in my signature was taken at San Clemente.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
Great info!! Yowza, Crystal Cove is pricy! I can look up s. Carlsbad, thank you! I've been pinning good cmpsights on Pinterest lately. Seems word of mouth is really the best way to find good spots.
It's pricy for a state beach for sure. I only pay 1/2 price which helps.

Also San Elijo is a nice campground on the beach. California has many beach campgrounds - I just haven't been making the rounds yet.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
TeresaInCAL

That's awesome! I'm (secretly ;0) ) planning a road trip for next year, at this point it's just me, but I hope to have my BFF come with me. I'm always the one who drives/tows the TT. I get car sick when other people drive, especially hubby...lol..I'm sure there is a Dr. Phill moment in there somewhere...lol.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #17
Site Team

My cousin does all the driving and her hubby takes care of the trailer. Laurie can outdrive me with her experience but don't have a clue on how to set up camp. LOL - I had to show her how to light her oven.

If you are planning on staying at state park beach campgrounds I can share my tricks of the trade with you on booking reservations though ReserveAmerica.com
website. Reservations for peak season are gone within a moment when the window opens for that month. I think we are booking 7 months in advance. March window will open September 1 @ 8:00 AM. Summer months are in high demand (June, July, August).

I hope you are able to take that roadtrip next year. It sounds like fun and happens to be something that is on my To-Do list. I can't wait to make it happen.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
Site Team

Teresa -
This is suppose to be a good campground in the Santa Barbara area. Someday I hope to check it out. My Toyota service manager recommends it:

Jalama Beach - The Ultimate Guide

Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
TeresaInCAL

I'll pin it thanks! Have you ever been to New Brighton SB.

I wish it wasn't so hard to get reservations...I'll be needing those tricks.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #20
Site Team

Will be happy to share the tips tomorrow. I already removed my contacts and eye glasses are not the same. OK for limited typing.

Where is Brighton SB? Northern CA? It sounds familiar but might be the one website I use to check out campsites. Will share that with you once I can see what I'm typing.