Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #1

Taxes and costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
The new HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) includes the "old" GST and the "old" PST for a new total of 12% HST on most items. Still a very unpopular tax in B.C.
12% tax is substantial and this post got me thinking about where folks buy things on the road and if you take into consideration taxes etc.

Do you wait to pick up items in sales tax free states you might be visiting - Or for those who are Canadian, do you do as much shopping as duty limits allow while you are over the border -
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

I really don't pay attention to taxes. I buy stuff state side and off ebay mostly because I can get what I want same as traveling to Alberta if I need something and I am there well it is a bonus not to have to pay the 5% sask pst but I won't go out of my way to save it.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #3

We keep an American Post Box across the border (a one hour drive), and we order a lot from e-bay. However, the main issue that I find is simply that so much merchandise is so much cheaper in the USA, that even with paying duty it is still cheaper than Canada.
I am waiting to buy many trailer items that I need until we can get to a camping world in the USA because of the savings.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote