Old 05-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Texarkana, Texas trip

Starting june 29th I will be towing my 31ft travel trailer from Monongahela, pa to Texarkana, Texas and heading back on July 8th. Anything that I should be on the look out for on drive down and the drive back?

Alucke
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucke View Post
Starting june 29th I will be towing my 31ft travel trailer from Monongahela, pa to Texarkana, Texas and heading back on July 8th. Anything that I should be on the look out for on drive down and the drive back?

Alucke

What roads? How many days travel time are you building in? If you are coming down to Dayton Ohio, spend 2-3 days at the National Air Force Museum. Southern Indiana, many caves, a great state park there is Spring Mill State Park. Then in St Louis there is the Gateway to the West National Park The arch there is 630 feet tall, you can go to the top.

Or if using I 70, I wouldn't, to many trucks, but in Indianapolis is the 500 speedway, then on to St. Louis. Dropping out of St Louis toward Memphis, great "q", music, Elvis etc. Little Rock has B. Clinton's Presidential Library, a WW 2 submarine, fifty to seventy miles north of Texarkana is Carter of Diamonds State park. Any and all gem stones you find you can keep.

Guess if you will tell us what you and yours like to do we could be a lot more specific, what roads you plan on using will help a lot.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

Taking I70 to Columbus, then I71 to Cincinnati, I65 to I40, and I30 to Texarkana 3 day trip. Stopping at RV friendly hotels on the way down and back. We are going down for family gathering there.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Taking I70 to Columbus, then I71 to Cincinnati, I65 to I40, and I30 to Texarkana 3 day trip. Stopping at RV friendly hotels on the way down and back. We are going down for family gathering there.

Take I 75 from Cinci to Lexington KY. Turn west on the parkway ( good road 4 lane this time last year) and take it to I 65 S. I 65 to Nashville. Corvette Plant in Bowling Green is a nice stop. So is Mammoth Cave National Park. (call and get reservations) Construction in and around Nashville, but this will cut off a lot of mountain driving over around Knoxville. Once you get clear of Nashville about 25miles you should have smooth sailing into Memphis. At Jackson TN, about 50 east of Memphis be sure to stop at the Casey Jones Complex. Be hungry!
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:

Alucke
Other than you're traveling on the 4th of July weekend and you might want to build in extra time for slow traffic, you should be able to make good time if you travel the interstates.

Also, I hope you have reservations because they are hard to get on the 4th of July weekend.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:09 AM   #6

Yes, reservations have already been made. And I am taking the interstates all the way down.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:05 AM   #7

The wife and I drove our brand new ram 3500 and cedar creek fifth wheel out to Texas from Virginia in April on I 40 and the pot holes beat the **** out of them. Iím still pissed!! Beware!
hillsvillehokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsvillehokie View Post
The wife and I drove our brand new ram 3500 and cedar creek fifth wheel out to Texas from Virginia in April on I 40 and the pot holes beat the **** out of them. Iím still pissed!! Beware!
Ok, thanks for the warning.

Alucke
Old 05-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #9

I 30 will be pretty rough coming out of and in LR. There is construction west of LR that will probably impact yout travel.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #10

I40 from Memphis will be wall-to-wall 18 wheeler traffic. 2 or 3 trucks for every car. I30 from N little rock to Texarkana will be wall-to-wall 18 wheeler traffic. Starting this summer there will be road construction starting at the I30 117 exit in Benton to the highway 70 exit that will be a NIGHTMARE for three years (I live here) Going from 2 lanes to three. Arkansas driver do not know how to merge. Be prepared for lengthy stops anywhere there is interstate construction. I have seen I30 traffic back up for 10 miles or more. Don't know about the rest of your trip but if you decide to travel on Arkansas interstates, it won't be fun.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #11

Sorry you have to be in Texas for the Summer. I would much prefer to be in PA during the Summer. It will be hot and humid.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #12

I have a family gathering to attend. Also going to see my grandmother, who is elderly, has dementia, etc. I haven't see her in over 5 years before I got diagnosed with cancer in may 2018 and beat cancer in December 2018. And bringing my 3 year old, which they haven't met yet.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
I40 from Memphis will be wall-to-wall 18 wheeler traffic. 2 or 3 trucks for every car. I30 from N little rock to Texarkana will be wall-to-wall 18 wheeler traffic. Starting this summer there will be road construction starting at the I30 117 exit in Benton to the highway 70 exit that will be a NIGHTMARE for three years (I live here) Going from 2 lanes to three. Arkansas driver do not know how to merge. Be prepared for lengthy stops anywhere there is interstate construction. I have seen I30 traffic back up for 10 miles or more. Don't know about the rest of your trip but if you decide to travel on Arkansas interstates, it won't be fun.
I just did a round trip from Shreveport to Texarkana to Little Rock and the 18 wheeler traffic was unbelieveable. Construction between Benton and split to Hot Springs. About 5 miles of 55 mph traffic. After that the speed limit depends upon the thickness of your checking account.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote