Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

Texas

The wife and I are thinking about a trip out to Arizona for a couple of months this coming Jan. In my desire to avoid Dallas/Ft. Worth I have routed my self around it by taking I30 to Greenville Tx. There I will pick 380 over to Decatur Tx. and from there Texas FM51 to Weatherford and back onto I20.

Does anyone know anything about this route. I am not too concerned about 380 to Decatur but the FM51 has me a little concerned. I realize that since my trip planner has routed me this way it should be quite doable as far as the road conditions and accessibility for larger vehicles. I am just looking for any one that may have some first hand information about this route.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
cliffy49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #2

I like to use Google earth to overlook a route and street side look for turns and basic conditions. Been using Google earth since its been available and street view was a big plus to me!
Old 05-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Depending on the time of day, you should be able to get through Dallas/Ft. Worth on I 30. I've been on 380 and that's turned into a route with lots of signal lights and traffic in spots.
Another thing you're going to have to consider is the weather. In January, you might run into snow and you might need to drop down to I 10.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I like to use Google earth to overlook a route and street side look for turns and basic conditions. Been using Google earth since its been available and street view was a big plus to me!
Thanks A32Deuce, I did that and the road looks to be a 2 lane country road. Did not really follow it all the way as I did get an idea of what it was like. Don't think there are a lot of mountains and sharp curves in texas.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Depending on the time of day, you should be able to get through Dallas/Ft. Worth on I 30. I've been on 380 and that's turned into a route with lots of signal lights and traffic in spots.
Another thing you're going to have to consider is the weather. In January, you might run into snow and you might need to drop down to I 10.
Thanks for the advice. I did play around and make a more southern route that would hopefully keep me out of any snow that may be encountered. Still managed to detour Dallas but may run into Waco and then San Antonio. We just take a closer look at that route.

Being that I am starting in central Ky. I should be able to miss most of the really bad snow if we were to get it.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy49 View Post
Thanks A32Deuce, I did that and the road looks to be a 2 lane country road. Did not really follow it all the way as I did get an idea of what it was like. Don't think there are a lot of mountains and sharp curves in texas.
Between a book map and Google earth, I have scoped out a lot of back roads and Camp Grounds.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
The US380 stretch between McKinney and Denton is like an interstate traffic-wise and like a thick suburban area traffic-signal-wise. I lived south of Denton and now north of McKinney and I DO NOT drive that stretch any longer.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #8

We live outside of Odessa and the wife has family in Atlanta TX I tried that route heading East about 4 years ago. That is a growing area and had lots of road, business and home construction going on. I hated it. I am not fond of 1-30 thru Dallas but every time it’s been busy but smooth. My preferred route is I20 you never really are in Dallas and even though google says it takes longer. I feel it’s a lot quicker and lot less stressful .
Old 05-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #9

Sorry should have said that leaving Atlanta we head south east to Linden and hit I20 around Tyler area. Yes here in Texas we do have windy roads and if on the back roads around San Antonio. You will be in what we call the hill county. Lots of winding roads, then in west Texas we have the Quadalupe mountains and Davis mountains. While not as high as others 6-8000 high enough. I assume That since you mentioned Kentucky and I-30 you will be coming in thru Texarkana. It’s easy drive from Memphis thru Phoenix ( my family lived in Oregon been that way a few times) You mentioned snow and that is only a small problem on 1-40 during winter.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

As I look at that route, I think I would have to agree with moose074. Of course I am more familiar with the I-20 stretch than anything on the north side of Dallas, but I can say, especially depending on the day and/or time, I-30 into Dallas, then I-20 around the south of Dallas and over to Ft. Worth and on to Weatherford I think would be a much easier route.

"...mountains and sharp curves in texas." Well, you would be surprised, but not in this part of Texas anyway.

As for the weather, at that time of year, anything is possible. More likely than snow would be ice, but like I said, anything is possible.

Good luck.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #11

I would stay in I30

I would stay on I30 - what you don't see on HWY 380 is that it gets very crowded and also many stop lights on that HWY. I would avoid, and stay on I30 which would be faster, and easier.

ArubaGeorgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #12

Thanks for all of the advice. Much appreciated.

I have made a route that hopefully will keep me out of any bad weather I may encounter. I will be taking I20 out of Birmingham to Tyler, where I will head southwest to just north of San Antonio. From there I will get 1604 across to I10 and resume my westward trip. I hope this is better than Dallas but I wont know until I try.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #13
Now a "Top Member"

Well, I will go with a maybe, maybe not. What do you plan on taking from Tyler? Most of the highways coming down to San Antonio are pretty good, though I expect at some point you will have to get on I-35. That has become one of the most congested Interstates in Texas from San Antonio probably to Oklahoma anymore. But there are some okay stretches still, or so I hear. I haven't been on it in a while.

1604 over to I-10 is a short jog, but can be a nightmare at rush hour. Avoid it at rush hour and you should be okay. I-10 on out to Boerne would be the same...just avoid rush hour. Once you're beyond Boerne you should be okay.

As for weather, it is generally okay, but same as Dallas, it is hard to predict when a winter weather "event" will blow through. Back in the mid-90's, the entire city was shut down due to a crazy ice storm. All the major highways and Interstates were closed. It was pretty insane. But there hasn't been anything quite like that since. Still, it can happen.

Anyway, let's see more about that route from Tyler to SA.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 05-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #14

We travel from southern NM to Tyler TX frequently. Not by choice, but my Dad lives there (Tyler). We have taken all kinds of routes just to break it up and to see different things.
The fastest and easiest,by far for us, is I20, especially through Dallas. Like another mentioned, you don't really go through Dallas and if you time it right, the traffic isn't any worse than anywhere else.
Unless you have a specific goal, taking all the 2 lane back roads in TX is very time consuming and, to us, more frustrating than I20, plus harder to find fuel stops for bigger rigs.
Another option is I40 to I25 in Albuquerque. Just watch the the weather.
Happy travels!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
The wife and I are thinking about a trip out to Arizona for a couple of months this coming Jan. In my desire to avoid Dallas/Ft. Worth I have routed my self around it by taking I30 to Greenville Tx. There I will pick 380 over to Decatur Tx. and from there Texas FM51 to Weatherford and back onto I20.

Does anyone know anything about this route. I am not too concerned about 380 to Decatur but the FM51 has me a little concerned. I realize that since my trip planner has routed me this way it should be quite doable as far as the road conditions and accessibility for larger vehicles. I am just looking for any one that may have some first hand information about this route.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
When you get to Decauter i would take i 40 to albuquerque nm. then to arizona. Depending on where you are going upper az. or phoenix area. Just made this trip in Febuary
. Went to lake havasu. Snow in gallup nm, phoenix, williams. , mid march snow at the south grand canyon. cancelled due to highs in the 40s. make reservations as early as possible. if you dont you wiil not get a spot for prob. more than a couple of days. then move over a few spaces. saw people move 3 times in a week at buckskin st. park. its very crowded with people from up north. they arrive in oct. for the winter and take up lots of camping spots. book as many days in a row that you can, then leave early if you want and get a refund for days unused. Dont move unless you have a reservation booked for your next stop. lake havasu st. park has stand by camping in a parking lot. 25.00 night .primitive. more people waiting than spots opening. plan ahead.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
When you get to Decauter i would take i 40 to albuquerque nm. then to arizona. Depending on where you are going upper az. or phoenix area. Just made this trip in Febuary
. Went to lake havasu. Snow in gallup nm, phoenix, williams. , mid march snow at the south grand canyon. cancelled due to highs in the 40s. make reservations as early as possible. if you dont you wiil not get a spot for prob. more than a couple of days. then move over a few spaces. saw people move 3 times in a week at buckskin st. park. its very crowded with people from up north. they arrive in oct. for the winter and take up lots of camping spots. book as many days in a row that you can, then leave early if you want and get a refund for days unused. Dont move unless you have a reservation booked for your next stop. lake havasu st. park has stand by camping in a parking lot. 25.00 night .primitive. more people waiting than spots opening. plan ahead.

Which Decauter are you talking about? If you mean Decatur, Texas, I40 doesn’t go there. The OP has already stated he’ll skip
IS 380.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Well, I will go with a maybe, maybe not. What do you plan on taking from Tyler? Most of the highways coming down to San Antonio are pretty good, though I expect at some point you will have to get on I-35. That has become one of the most congested Interstates in Texas from San Antonio probably to Oklahoma anymore. But there are some okay stretches still, or so I hear. I haven't been on it in a while.

1604 over to I-10 is a short jog, but can be a nightmare at rush hour. Avoid it at rush hour and you should be okay. I-10 on out to Boerne would be the same...just avoid rush hour. Once you're beyond Boerne you should be okay.

As for weather, it is generally okay, but same as Dallas, it is hard to predict when a winter weather "event" will blow through. Back in the mid-90's, the entire city was shut down due to a crazy ice storm. All the major highways and Interstates were closed. It was pretty insane. But there hasn't been anything quite like that since. Still, it can happen.

Anyway, let's see more about that route from Tyler to SA.
EdJunior, the way I currently have it planned is to take 31 down to I35 and follow that down to Live Oak and then 1604 back over to I10.

This is all a work in progress has I have no idea of what driving in this part of the country is like. The good part is I can take my time and get there when I get there. Probably have to get to Quartzite on time if I don't want to lose my reservation but I think every thing else is ok.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #18
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
EdJunior, the way I currently have it planned is to take 31 down to I35 and follow that down to Live Oak and then 1604 back over to I10.

This is all a work in progress has I have no idea of what driving in this part of the country is like. The good part is I can take my time and get there when I get there. Probably have to get to Quartzite on time if I don't want to lose my reservation but I think every thing else is ok.
I kinda figured. 31 is actually a pretty nice drive. I have done that a couple of times. But like I said, I35 is just a busy Interstate, especially from Georgetown down to SA. The last time I drove it (it's been a few years), I left early in the morning to get through Austin and Georgetown and to relative easy driving before I hit Dallas. I live just north of Houston now, so I haven't driven I-35 in a while, but my son (still lives in SA) has and said it is certainly no better.

Anyway, keep us informed, and keep asking for advice. It sounds like you have an interesting trip planned, and the fact that you aren't restricted by time, for the most part, makes things a lot easier.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 05-25-2020, 10:48 PM   #19

So when I was in the USAF, I used to hate when my fellow Texans would brag about how everything in Texas is bigger. I’m telling you Texas is BIG don’t be surprised the route your going if you spend more time in Texas than you do in the other states combined. You are adding a lot of miles and time to your trip. Which if that’s the purpose stop reading and I apologize. If your purpose is to avoid snow there is no guarantee regardless of the route, however adding extra time to your trip actually increases the odds of bad weather. If trying to avoid Dallas traffic then going into San Antonio ( top 15 most populous area in US) is no better you just drive further to get the same thing. I think San Antonio traffic is worse than I 30 thru Dallas and ten times worse than I 20 around Dallas but that’s just my opinion. I pulled my 42’ 5th wheel back from Alabama this year hit Houston early in the morning on News Years morning not sure I had to hit the brakes once.

By the time I hit San Antonio traffic was bad even on the loop, but it flowed ok. It’s 833 miles from Texarkana to Anthony TX ( mile marker 1) according to google my guess is by dropping so far south then back north you might be adding close to 200 extra miles to your trip. Again if your is to go slow enjoy the trip. I apologize safe travels and enjoy.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #20

I want to thank every one for all of the help you have given ne. I have about 4 or 5 different routes made in rv parky and rand-McNally trip maker. At this rate I just may down load all of them into my gps and when the time comes, just close my eyes and pick one.

Even though I said that time for this trip is no big deal, I am the type that likes to have all things planned and reservations made. This probably has a lot to do with reading these forums as how every one says that is getting harder and harder to just pick-up and go. We have not yet mastered the art of overnighting at Wally world or other places, so I like to have reservations for campgrounds made.

Again, thanks for the help and hopefully I will get this figured out.