Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Lightbulb The perfect road trip across the USA

I saw this in my facebook feed today and it definitely looks like a winner!

http://www.slideshare.net/lamesarvce...ampaign=buffer

Would you be interested in something like this? What would you change?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
Always Learning

Heh, as I mapped out our country tour over 14-months, there was a "perfect road trip" link that was going viral.

Since fulltiming for the last 8-months, there is no one perfect trip.

This is missing the Sand Dunes (White Sands?) in either Arizona or New Mexico. It's missing Orlando if you're a fan of theme parks and ignores the Everglades/Keys like they aren't there.

But, way more than a specific couple of locations- what it really misses is the personal aspect. For MANY of our stops, they were arranged to visit with family and friends along the way. Detours and deviations that have no apparent reason for making outside of being able to stop and visit with folks you may not have seen in years or, in some cases, I knew but had never met.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

Smokey Mountain NP & surrounding area is a must see if you've never been there

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

I would love to do a nice long road trip. Just give me 6 years and 6 weeks and I will be retiring, then we will hit the open roads to really see this Great Country of ours

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

it's a beginning.

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #6

I have to interject that it's not perfect in the sense of "perfection" but how can you go wrong visiting the lower 48? I would adjust a few stops, maybe even skip the north eastern seaboard and go to Alaska instead, but this is a great starting point.

DreiHunde- I live in NC and have visited the Smoky Mountains several times. I am literally itching for our March trip when we head back towards Cades Cove in TN for 5 days. Unfortunately it's at the end of March so it's definitely teaching me about patience.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Oregon's coast.........
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
I have to interject that it's not perfect in the sense of "perfection" but how can you go wrong visiting the lower 48? I would adjust a few stops, maybe even skip the north eastern seaboard and go to Alaska instead, but this is a great starting point.

DreiHunde- I live in NC and have visited the Smoky Mountains several times. I am literally itching for our March trip when we head back towards Cades Cove in TN for 5 days. Unfortunately it's at the end of March so it's definitely teaching me about patience.
We love the mountains and try to get out there "somewhere" every year! I'm hoping we can make Cades Cove later this year or next!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
code.org

This route was not designed as the perfect road trip, but rather the optimal road trip. Here is a link to the designer's web site where he explains the design parameters: Computing the optimal road trip across the U.S. | Dr. Randal S. Olson

I have been making plans to follow the route, adding in our own must-see sites along the way, since I first saw it last summer. Since then we have purchased a new Rockwood 8329SS, retired, and are now getting ready to do a few practice runs of 4-6 weeks in length before we embark on this journey that we estimate will take 4 months.

Can't wait to get started, just need to figure out the best time to go.
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #10

This probably isn't exactly the intention of the post but I thought I would comment.
I asked my wife once how she would describe the "perfect day" and she took exception with the concept and suggested that maybe the better way to look at it, was to focus on perfect moments. Most days (even fairly crummy ones) have some outstanding moments worth paying attention to.
For me, the idea of circumnavigating the lower 48 would be a dream come true but a goal of perfection would set me up for disappointment. But I know there would be many perfect moments no matter what route we took.
Lastly, we have headed out of town with no plan and randomly made left and right turns. The result has always been interesting with some unexpected gems.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
I Break Everything

We've done most of that, just not all at one time. We still haven't been to the upper western states - Washington, Oregon, etc.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote