Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #21

In addition to wanting to leave firearm in 5th, check out console vault.com. Good build, difficult to get into (meaning most people don't carry around the types of tools needed to break into this- like 5ft pry bar) , and is with you every where you go.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post
Just for clarity... Bringing long-guns and shotguns into Canada, is not a big deal. Declare them, unloaded and secured while travelling, no automatics, usual deal; and it's not a problem in most cases.

Handguns, and automatic weapons, however, are a big no-no here...

For instance, I have my restricted firearms license - however, when I transport a handgun from my home to the range, I have to file a "flight plan" with the local police, transport it separate from ammo, and some other rules.

It really isn't worth the hassle. Leave the side-arms at home...

Would love to see Canada but definitely not worth getting my fifth wheel and truck ripped apart for no reason. I Think I'll pass.
Pbgbrv is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFireFighter View Post
Just for clarity... Bringing long-guns and shotguns into Canada, is not a big deal. Declare them, unloaded and secured while travelling, no automatics, usual deal; and it's not a problem in most cases.

Handguns, and automatic weapons, however, are a big no-no here...

For instance, I have my restricted firearms license - however, when I transport a handgun from my home to the range, I have to file a "flight plan" with the local police, transport it separate from ammo, and some other rules.

It really isn't worth the hassle. Leave the side-arms at home...

This is good to know, not that I'm planning on travel there, also I have three permit which allow me to carry in all of the states I will travel, USA that is. Good luck but if I where you I will leave it home and go with the long-gun or just leave that going to Canada.
Big1 is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 12:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
I wonder why my post was deleted? It had valid and informative information
Could you PM me your reply, please?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #25

Depends on where you enter Canada but this may help:
Bromley's Market IGA - Border and Customs
Old 04-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #26

If you plan on bringing in a long gun, download the form now. Have it filled out before you get to the border and you will more than likely need your sales receipt. Google to find the form.
Here's the form. If you have more than one you will need the continuation sheet. DON'T sign until you get to the border to pay your fee.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5589-eng.pdf
Old 04-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #27

Guns into Canada

Let's get the facts first!

NO handguns are allowed to be taken by US Citizens into Canada.

NO semi-auto center fire rifles (AR-style rifles) can be taken into Canada.

Normal sporting arms, rifles and shotguns, can easily be taken into Canada. You get the form, pay the fee, submit to inspection of your vehicle and drive into Canada. I have done it many times and had only one onerous, tear-the-vehicle
apart inspection. So,

Take a nice, pump-action shotgun, some Ammo (US citizens cannot buy ammo in
Canada) and enjoy Canada!

However, IF you decide to try to sneak a handgun or AR rifle in and/or IF Canada Customs finds
that kind of Ammo in your vehicle...you are in big trouble! Don't do it!

IF you are driving thru Canada to Alaska, take a shotgun with you. Have an FFL in the USA ship your handgun to an FFL in Alaska. Yes, it costs $ and is an aggravation but if you truly need your side arm in Alaska that is the only safe way to do it. Also, when you cross into Canada, going either way, DON'T tell Canadian Customs that you shipped your other weapons to Alaska. Do the legal
import thing with a shotgun and keep your mouth shut about having shipped weapons from/ to Alaska to/from the USA. What we, as US Citizens, do legally between
States is none of Canada's business...none! I learned the above the hard way.

Jim
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #28

Be sure to read the "fine print" on handgunlaw.us or other web sites regarding reciprocity. Some states only recognize another state's CCW permit if you are a resident of that state. Example: Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire & South Carolina, only honor permits from residents of states they honor.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #29

New Jersey, If you will be carrying in New Jersey and you have any interaction with police you will be in big grief.

Maryland,there was a thread about a year ago about a FL family that was stopped by one of the MD state agencies. They were using license plate readers and accessing other states CC permit lists. They will stop you if they get a match.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #30

I also carry..... If anyone knows of a reliable shop or broker in the Niagra falls area, can you let me know? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Many threads have indicated people have found a pawn shop or gun broker to leave the gun stateside while they visit Canada. You then pick it back up when you return.
stevegotl is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #31

There is a phone app that I have called USCCA App.
Great information on it including the latest reciprocity agreements between the states.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #32

I've considered going across to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, however, I guess that I'll leave the TT on the U.S. side if I have a handgun with me and go across without it. Their strict policy will also mean that I WON'T be staying overnight on that side of the border.

The last time that I flew into Toronto on business (working as a consultant) was distasteful enough trying to clear customs. Now that I'm retired, don't really need the aggravation of dealing with their Customs people any more than I absolutely have to. I'm sure that this is fine with them also - probably don't need/want U.S. tourist $.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #33

One quick note for members who live in Pennsylvania up until last year Ohio did not recognize Pennsylvania carry permit so I had to get a Florida permit in order for me to carry in Ohio. As of last year Ohio voted to recognize Pennsylvania's permit so you no longer have to go through that hassle if you have a PA Permit. Pennsylvania is also an open carry state, but I do not advise carrying in the open because you give up your element of surprise if you would ever get in a situation where you needed to use your gun.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #34

Guns in Canada

Had the experience already regarding a visit into Canada. Bad news if you get caught as there are no gun rights in Canada at all!!!

Left the Shot Gun in the RV park in Maine as the owners told me they have many of their visitors leave there guns with them when they go into Canada
Larry Roth is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #35

If you travel through Chicago, not only should it be stored unloaded (with the ammo somewhere entirely separate, but it should also be broken down. Chicago seems to have their own set of rules that apparently only the people traveling through have to follow that. Best advice would be to avoid Chicago entirely.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
If you travel through Chicago, not only should it be stored unloaded (with the ammo somewhere entirely separate, but it should also be broken down. Chicago seems to have their own set of rules that apparently only the people traveling through have to follow.
That's so that Chicago's "gang bangers" get a home field advantage!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #37
Site Team

With my trailer in tow.
My last crossing into Canada went easily.
The nice lady looked at our passports and asked if we had any weapons.
The answer was no.
I said no
She said have a nice day.
We drove on.
She even smiled.

Coming back into US.
We removed our sunglasses and had our passports open.
Handed them to the stern faced US border guy.
He was gruff and asked if we'd bought anything in Canada.
I said only postcards.
He wanted to know where we'd been, for how long and where we were
going. Several questions including did I have a weapon.
Took 3 times as long and made me nervous but we got back in without
a search at least.

My point is just that not all crossing are alike for what ever reason.
Some border agents are friendly and it seems to me the US ones are deliberately not friendly.

I have a carry permit but I had no reason to want to carry on that trip
and I'm glad I left my guns at home. At no time did I miss them.
It was a good trip full of good memories.

YMMV

PS Pinery Provincial Park is a great park. Nice camp ground and if
you are NOT there on a weekend it can be very quiet and un-crowded.
We walked on the lake shore beach one morning and did not see a soul!
The place filled up on the weekend tho....
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #38

there is a great app called CCW that allows you to enter your permits and the state you live in. It then shows you where you can carry and where u can't. Each clickable state has info on mag restrictions, duty to inform, and other needed info

my MO CCW allows me to carry in 37 states, but would only be 24 if I didnt live there.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #39
Site Team

As a gun owner, I just don't understand why so many Americans are so mad at Canada, for their restrictions on guns.
Canada is not a state of the US, it's another country!
You are crossing an international border, not a state border.

If you want to enter another country, honor their laws or don't go. But don't vilify them.

It reminds me of the international image of the Ugly American. And having traveled a lot in other countries, I've seen lots of examples of Ugly Americans.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply
Old 04-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #40
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Leave the firearm in the 5th wheel in states that don't have reciprocity agreements with Texas. And DO NOT try to take the firearm into Canada, even if it is locked in your trailer.
Actually, I have found the CBP and RCMP friendlier than some of our own states when it comes to transporting a firearm through Cananda. As long as you don't have a criminal record, an outstanding warrant and are truthful on your Firearms Declaration Form, you pay the fee and you're good to go. Permit is good for 60 days. Download the forms from RCMP and fill them out ahead of time, but don't sign them until you're in the presence of a CBP Agent or Mountie. Follow their laws and you won't have a problem. When you re-enter the US show them your permit and you won't fall into the importation category.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
travel