Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #21

we got the same thing travelling through the states. then when we returned home we found bills for toll charges - in Europe. German Autobahn, Italy etc. etc.

it was an interesting month and a half getting things back to normal
Old 04-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #22

We are planning our big adventure and it did not occur to me to do this. My card got locked at a quilt festival because it was being used in different states and countries in one day. Thanks for the heads up, I will make sure I have our cards updated.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
After 5 mo with the new 5er, we are just now coming around to the idea that truck stops are a good thing (trailer height/length, etc).

Problem I am having is that first swipe of the credit card triggers a fraud alert on my card. Dumb me, I locked down 3 cards in one trip until I figured this out.

How do you guys prevent this? Do you have to go inside all the time to let the clerk pre authorize?
After having our Chase Visa phished three times last year we started pre-paying inside with our credit card. This payment method has proved out 100%, however, more times than not I usually end up not quit full with diesel, but it sure beats getting my card jacked at various pumps.
mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #24

The main reason to buy your diesel fuel from a truck stop is they sell a lot of it
If you get fuel at a mom and pop station that may sell 100 gal a day on
a good day
Your takeing a big gamble. Is the fuel old does it have any moisture in it ?
For the most part I find the truck stops are. About 10 or 12 cents more per gal
Then a regular station if you have a good sam card brings it down to about 8 cents
More
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #25

Yes, sticking your credit card is very convenient-BUT. Credit card skimmers are pretty prevalent. And, there is more that one way to get your credit card number when accessing a gas pump.

So, I can count on one hand the times I have ever used a credit at the pump. If you are curious-two to be exact. When it comes to getting gas, DW and I each have a task. She goes to the counter to pay and I pump the gas. I know it is inconvenient, but we also value our identity.

SW Florida was seeing a rash of skimmers on gas pumps. Cape Coral has not passed an ordinance requiring station owners to better secure their card readers. The Punta Gorda PD was able to apprehend people using stolen credit card information to clone credit cards. The suspects admitted they were a part of a national ring.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #26

I have had my credit card lock just buying fuel at regular gas stations in Orlando and in Miami . I live in Florida but some areas are just considered high fraud locations. My wife has now set up her phone to get text alerts to keep the cards from locking down.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Actually the bank locks your card due to the fact the truck lanes are high volume ($) pumps. It is not because you are traveling. Contact the credit card company and tell them what you are doing and they can permanently take this cautionary lock off. My buddy had to do this and now has no problems.

I got the Pilot/Flying J charge card. With my membership level with Good Sams I get 8 cents off the cash price. Knocks the price down from outrageous to super expensive...lol. But I am willing to pay for the convenience while towing.
I talked to my buddy and he said he called his cc company and had them authorize “terminal” mode. He did say they would only authorize it for a certain length of time of a week or two. He said the cc company said lots of fraud takes place at the terminals.. just to clarify.. looks like you need to claw cc company, go inside and pay or get a Pilot/FJ charge card.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #28

Just a heads up: I usually go over the $75 or $100 pump limit when filling diesel. I had been taking the card into the cashier and leaving it there while I pumped. I had some phony internet sales charges the day after doing this at a truck stop. I realized that the cashier had full access to all the info, including the CVC on the back of the card. I now cover the CVC with non-removable tape on all my cards, and carry the numbers on a slip in my wallet. No problems since.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #29

Local stations got me once ~ now I check with Gas Buddy. We usually stop at one CG on the GA/FL border to overnight before going to FL or AL. I was used to the local stations being far enough lower than the near by Pilot to unhitch and fuel while my wife made dinner. Last trip did the same and passed 2 local stations at $2.95 as was the 3rd just past Pilot. Pilot was $2.99. With the 9 cent discount it was less there! I unhitched/hitched for no reason.
Now this time I really will check to see if Loves has anything similar. The Loves at the exit near my daughters house is always higher than Flying J on the opposite corner but it is an option when they are farther apart.
I've spent the night twice at a Flying J. Arrived late and slept a few hours, had breakfast and left. Cannot do that at the corner station when CGs are too far away.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #30

I check my credit cards every day and if I see a charge I didn’t make I call the credit card company and let them handle it. A of people use a atm card but I never use them but to get cash out in my home town. I don’t have to use the truckstops and I have a filter on my tank that takes the water out of diesel. I think people probably worry to much, someone can get your credit card information when you use the telephone to buy something or going out to eat and give your card to a stranger.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Honestly, in my travels- I don't often see that kind of discrepancy.

For the OP, if you get a Pilot/Flying J card and have a Good Sam membership, you can get a discount off of the posted CASH price. We find that it usually lowers the credit price by 11-12 cents. With that and the convenience of truck pumps, it's well worth any price differential.

Thew gas station a mile from my house has Diesel for $3.39, five miles away there is a Pilot on I-70 charges $3.70. It did not hit me when I first saw it but supply and demand made sense.

Phil
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #32
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Here in Houston our fuel prices are usually lower than most states. While I do shop around home, the big benefit is being able to fill up in Texas, then drive to Orlando without re-fueling. Driving past those high priced stations. We use GasBuddy to find the lowest prices when re-fueling.

On a recent trip to Grand Rapids MI, we filled up at home for $2.29, drove to a specific gas station in Champaign IL to top off the tank at $2.59, before heading further north. Diesel in MI was running $3 per gallon. On the return trip we re-fueled again in Champaign with enough to get us back to Texas where we filled again for $2.29.

Seems I have too much spare time on my hands. That or I'm cheap. Its still a toss up.

$3.70 per gallon??? Where do you live? I won't complain about the $2.29 I'll be paying tomorrow.

Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #33

We have twin 120 gallon tanks so we also get tp price shop, just hurts when filling them and I usually use truck stops so I can fill both tanks at the same time
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck