Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Unhappy Watch out for the idgits out there

On Thursday I had to go town about an hour's drive south of here. I met a GM Astro/Safari van towing a Kiwi TT northbound. I did my running around & headed home. About 15 minutes from home traffic was stopped on the 2 lane highway.

Gradually traffic crept along & we passed the accident scene. The Kiwi was sitting on the shoulder of the road & they had just got the M van on the rollback minus its left front wheel assy which was on the west side of the road. Further north the west guard rails were bent severely.

I know the wrecker operator & talked to him yesterday & he said the driver of a small car lost control & hit the van. I saw the TT in their yard and it suffered some front panel damage & the left lower front corner had a section torn about a foot square. The WD hitch on the van was bent towards the left & upwards. The TT's couple & A frame looked intact.

Sadly some family's travel plans have been ruined.

From the Peterborough Examiner:

Quote:
GPS USED BLAMED IN CRASH
HAULTAIN - Reaching for a GPS unit led to a two-vehicle, head-on collision on Hwy. 28 in North Kawartha Township on Thursday, Peterborough County OPP said.

Police said a southbound vehicle suddenly crossed into the northbound lane and onto the shoulder, swerved back across the two lanes, struck a guard rail on the road's west side and then veered into the path of another vehicle heading north at about 3:45 PM.

Paramedics treated both drivers at the scene. The accident occurred just north of Haultain.

Const. Iain McEwan said the driver of the southbound vehicle began swerving when he reached to pick up his GPS unit, which had fallen off the dashboard and onto the floor.

The road road was closed for 30 minutes while police investigated.

The driver Aaron Gaulke, 29, of Scarborough, was charged with careless driving.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

Unbelievable,

Hope I

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Hate to say it but it's amazing this type of accident doesn't occur every couple minutes with all the gadgets drivers have to play with these days. Worst still has to be using the cell phone while driving. I was behind a girl just yesterday that was yacking away for the entire time I was around her. Her hands kept leaving the wheel, it looked like she was using them to express her comments? but each time her car drifted into the next lane about 1/4 of the car. I unfortunately could not go anywhere until the car on her left cleared her so I could go around. When she drifted right I went left and around her. She was having a grand old time laughing and yacking away. Sooner or later her luck will run out. Just hope no one else gets caught up in the accident with her.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #4

When I first heard about people texting while driving, I thought, no way. It is unbelievable to me that someone would do this. Then I found out lots of people I knew did this and with their little children/babies in the car with them. I would never even consider doing such a thing. Maybe I am just getting old.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Jan Goldfield

Texting while driving is now against the law in Louisiana. Wonder how they are gonna enforce that!
Jan, who cannot understand it either.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The use of cell phones (other than hands free) and other electronic devices while driving is illegal in Ontario since the spring this year, however it doesn't seem to have changed the number of people I still see talking away on the cell while being oblivious to what they're doing.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
MrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
Texting while driving is now against the law in Louisiana. Wonder how they are gonna enforce that!
Jan, who cannot understand it either.
Just did the same back here in good ol' Meeechigan, but I still see every 3rd driver on the phone in some fashion.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Jan Goldfield

Most of us lived much of our lives without cellphones and lived them well. What happened that they are now a necessity? My cell is my only phone and I rarely even turn it on.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #9

Last month I had a young girl riding not 5 feet off my rear bumper on a major 4 lane road in Waco. I slowed down hoping she would pass, she slowed down. I sped up to the speed limit, she sped up. I changed lanes, she changed lanes. This continued for about 3 mile in stop and go traffic. The whole time she was talking on a cell phone. I pulled into a left turn lane and stopped at the red light. Her head jerked up she looked left then right and cut across 3 lanes of traffic without looking and turned right. This all took about 20 minutes. During that time she had no ides where she was or what she was doing. By all means watch out for the idgits, they are among us.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
Most of us lived much of our lives without cellphones and lived them well. What happened that they are now a necessity? My cell is my only phone and I rarely even turn it on.
I agree with you Jan...Cell company is making good money off me,got 300 min. and lucky if I use 30 of them.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #11

I recently had an issue with someone talking on his cell phone while driving who almost hit me, which would have been a pretty bad accident had it happened. I discussed it with him at stop light. He point blank told me his cell phone conversation was more important than anything else going on and it was my responsibility to watch out for him because he was very important. I told him otherwise. He made a few more derogatory statements. I made a simple sign to him and offered to pull over and discuss it some more. He sped off.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
He point blank told me his cell phone conversation was more important than anything else going on and it was my responsibility to watch out for him because he was very important.

I think that is the problem right there. Everything is all about ME these days. Who cares about the rest of the people on the road.

My 2 cellphone stories. Quite a few years ago I'm trying to merge onto the local freeway. The slow lane is filled w/ tractor trailers, but I get in. Then when I move to the middle lane, it's going about 10 mph slower than the RH & LH lanes. The LH passing lane is streaming by me for a couple of minutes before I can get out & start to move. Well the "leader" of the slow lane was some guy in a white shirt (w/ a passenger) yakking on a cell phone. I passed them while laying on the horn. After passing them & moving back into the middle lane in front of them, then tapped the side of my head as to say, "Use your head".

Sometime after that my brother almost rear ended a slow moving pickup in Toronto. As he passed them he saw the guy was on a cellphone. Well brother saw that he could slow down (no traffic) & let the guy catch up to him. Well I guess my brother honked the horn & started to yell (inside the cab of his truck). Brother said the guy hung up pretty quick. He didn't say what he said, but obviously the slow poke could lip read.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Jas

I had a guy on a Harley just about merge into me. Turns out he was talking on his cell while driving a flipping motorcycle trying to merge into 60 MPH traffic.
While still on the phone, he informed me at the next stop that the motorcycle alway has the rite of way irreguardless of traffic law. Aparently he wasn't a physics major as I explained to him that my 6,000 lb truck and 7,000 lb camper could easily turn his 900 lb motorcycle, head and cell phone into a 1 piece unit. He put his phone down and got real quite after that.

Nights camped in 2011: 19
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
Jan Goldfield

As a long time biker, I can tell you that a motorcycle does not have any special right-of-way, especially at a yield sign. And even if I was in the right in some traffic situations, I never wanted to be dead right.

2009 Ford 150