Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2022, 09:27 AM   #21

From Florida we are heading across to Waco TX, through Amarillo (Pablo Duro Canyon), NM, CO and up to Custer SD. The heading for Dinosaur, Salt Lake, Bonneville, on over to Crater Lake, The redwoods, Up the Pacific Coast and the Columbia River, then Glacier National Park, The Roosevelt grasslands and at that point we will have to highball it into Western NY to get there in time for a wedding. From there we may head on up to the coast of Maine before heading back to FL. Should be somewhere around 9,000 miles altogether.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:33 PM   #22

Kanab, UT

For those of you going to Southern Utah (Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc) an outstanding visit for animal lovers is the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary just north of Kanab, UT. It's the largest no-kill animal sanctuary in the US and is located in a canyon. You can schedule a tour at their downtown Kanab office or by contacting the sanctuary directly. We did that 5 years ago, and last summer we went and volunteered there for a week. It was a fantastic experience, and the Angel Cafe there is a great place for lunch.
I'm enjoying reading all your plans, as we have only one trip planned so far to the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Safe travels everyone!
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #23

Only thing planned is a 32 day trip over 5100 miles.

Down central California for an event for 4 nights
Then to Mono Lake for a night
Then camping in SW Idaho for a couple days before another event in Boise/Nampa for 4 nights
Then north to family for a week in MT
Then several days in/around Cody, WY
Then several days at Badlands
Down to family in WY for a night
Over the Rockies via I-70 and the tunnel to an event in Grand Junction camping there for 5 days
More camping in ID at a State Park again
Finally 4 nights at an event in Oregon before heading home

I'll figure out summer and fall trips after that

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
We were on the UP visiting Mackinac Island in mid May last year for a week. The island was pretty much opened up but not so much the seasonal stuff on the mainland. Beautiful part of the country.

We've got that on our plan too for this year...just for day & bike ride...but we're spending extended weeks on the Michigan AND Wisconsin side of the lakes and in the UP.
This is all ground we covered quickly as we completed our quicker tours of the lower 48. Now we're going back and staying for a while in the places we liked best...looking forward to this beautiful area. Gonna take the CARFERRY back to Michigan from Wisconsin which is 4 hours across Lake Michigan with the RV on board to Luddington. Not cheap...but high gas prices make it more affordable!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
From Florida we are heading across to Waco TX, through Amarillo (Pablo Duro Canyon), NM, CO and up to Custer SD. The heading for Dinosaur, Salt Lake, Bonneville, on over to Crater Lake, The redwoods, Up the Pacific Coast and the Columbia River, then Glacier National Park, The Roosevelt grasslands and at that point we will have to highball it into Western NY to get there in time for a wedding. From there we may head on up to the coast of Maine before heading back to FL. Should be somewhere around 9,000 miles altogether.
Do you have this route all planned out including CGs, routes, time etc? It would be interesting to see it.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:11 PM   #26

As with others, I'm traveling my 2020 plans with some changes. Leaving So. Nevada, meander through Utah to Colorado to visit a week with friends. Then head for Dinosaur/Jensen for another week of museums and bones! Then into Wyoming for more bones in Thermopolis, on to Buffalo and to Custer for 10 days to meet with my brother who is traveling through that area. That will take me about 6 weeks, then I think I hear Montana calling me again...
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:49 PM   #27

just want to get out and go

Al to MI UP then to ND WA Spokane then south thru ID into Ca redwood forest Nv AZ NM TX and some where else
Going to try FL in Feb
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:20 PM   #28

Starting in June...Las Vegas, Salt Lake, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Sturgis, Devils Tower, South Dakota and then the great unknown drive home.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Do you have this route all planned out including CGs, routes, time etc? It would be interesting to see it.

Most of it, I have made reservations at one of the places we are going to be eating a group, other than that I haven’t. It is a retry long trip to get all of the campgrounds reserved which would make it a very rigid schedule so I am still trying to decide what to do about that.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/app/vis...RFSEVzNU1BQT09
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #30

2 weeks along the Texas coast in February. 30 day trip late March through mid April, going through Palo Duro Canyon in Texas, Sedona, Vegas, 8 days in Zion, Moab, Mesa Verde, Sante Fe, then back to Dallas. Another 25 day drip mid May down through Big Bend and over to Carlsbad, with a stop at Cooper Breaks state park on the way back to Dallas. Still looking for something / somewhere to go in the fall.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:27 PM   #31

Be careful on your MC, I'm old , 82, or at least that's what I'm told. I had a bad accident on my electric bike five months ago that I'm still recovering from. I guess my balance is not as good as it use to be. My wife told me she will divorce me if I get on another ebike or MC
sluggermike39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Hi Mooney. We want to go up to Michigan and Mackinac Island this fall. Any pointers on where to stay or avoid? We are traveling from Ohio. Thanks!!
Since I still work FT no long trips for us yet. But we will get out for our extended stay at Cherry Hill RV park near DC. That happens to be very near our daughter and granddaughter.
We stayed at the KOA in St Ignas. The place is huge! We were there about 2 weeks before they "officially" opened, so there were maybe 3 of us there. Going to Mackinac was a spur of the moment idea while sitting in a New Your travel plaza, we didn't really research too much. I suspect it gets pretty crowded in season.
There really isn't anywhere to avoid that we ran across. Remember, we were there a couple weeks before the season opened. As I write this, the wife is lamenting on how we need to go back. Of all the places we went last year Mackinac Island is tied for second with Colonial Williamsburg (and surrounding area) and behind Banff Alberta Canada. And that's saying something!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210510_143553_1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	267600  
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #33

After doing some 16,000 miles this past summer out west, we are starting to plan a trip from SC to Alaska this summer as well. Five months. Close to 20,000 miles.
Jim 10Yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 10Yes View Post
After doing some 16,000 miles this past summer out west, we are starting to plan a trip from SC to Alaska this summer as well. Five months. Close to 20,000 miles.
Nice!
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball View Post
Oshkosh Air Show, Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, and Talladega Fall Race. Probably a golf trip in there somewhere too.
do you have any recommendations for Sturgis campgrounds?
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:06 PM   #36

Heading to Miss, Louisiana, Fla panhandle Feb1st to mid March. Heading for Alaska May 20th to Septemberish. Caravan out of Great Falls Montana for 60 days and the rest on our own. We have 2 states left to sleep in N. Dakota and Alaska. Because of Covid and not being able to cross the border the Alaska trip was put off twice. Safe travels to all.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #37
Jvz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 10Yes View Post

We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer from Florida. Question - have you considered joining a caravan?

Joe
Jvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:13 PM   #38
Jvz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Heading to Miss, Louisiana, Fla panhandle Feb1st to mid March. Heading for Alaska May 20th to Septemberish. Caravan out of Great Falls Montana for 60 days and the rest on our own. We have 2 states left to sleep in N. Dakota and Alaska. Because of Covid and not being able to cross the border the Alaska trip was put off twice. Safe travels to all.
We are considering joining a caravan to Alaska as well. What were your primary reasons to join considering the cost?

Joe
Jvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:49 PM   #39

Thats a great question. We have travelled all over the US sleeping in all states but ND and Alaska. 100,000 miles in 5 years on our own, some trips up to 5 months. So we are pretty experienced at long travels, planning etc. When we talked about Alaska we decided we wanted to see a lot and not have to spend time on RV spots, planning what to see, gas, restaurants etc. So we looked at caravans and thought that might work even though we are pretty independent. So in our discussion we met a couple in our hometown that caravanned Alaska. We had breakfast with them and they sold us that a caravan would work for us on this trip. It is expensive, it is on the bucket list, and we are going with Adventure Caravan leaving Great Falls Montana May 31st. It has been cancelled twice because of covid, so we are ready. Now we will have the (we have done the trip 10 times on our own with no problem answers) and Im fine with that and each to their own.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldereaglewatcher View Post
For those of you going to Southern Utah (Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc) an outstanding visit for animal lovers is the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary just north of Kanab, UT. It's the largest no-kill animal sanctuary in the US and is located in a canyon. You can schedule a tour at their downtown Kanab office or by contacting the sanctuary directly.
We did this last year. It is an amazing place. Easy to get lost !!
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote