Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 05:49 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperpawpaw View Post
Today I77 North of I-40 in NC.
We struggled there two weeks ago. And we weren’t pulling anything. I commented that pulling our trailer through there would be tough. But it appeared to be construction that should make things better once completed.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:14 AM   #42
JCR

Shreveport , La. worst washboard in US .. They will break your suspension system.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:31 AM   #43

Used to be Oklahoma, but they finally fixed 287 heading south. I find that any route that is a major truck route usually sucks. The bridge expansion joints are the killer. I watch for darker areas in the roadway that indicate the leaking oil and grime that is knocked off of the underside by the jolt of a big bump. I will run in the left lane when there is no traffic to minimize the bumps. I move over when I see someone coming. (I have a rearview camera). Lately at least for Colorado we've seen some of the worst roads repaved which is wonderful, but some of these roads have needed repair or replacement for 10 years. Someone should come up with an app that updates like GasBuddy where people can report bad sections of road, and major road damage that can cause major trailer damage. At least you might be able to avoid a stretch, or change your route. Just a thought for all you app whizzes out there. If it already exists? let me know.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #44

The toll roads in West Virginia, I-20 in Louisana, I-10 near Louisana/Texas border.
mitchhelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #45

As a second career retired long haul semi driver with 1.5 million under the belt, and hitting every state except north of New York and New Jersey, I can say that most states are pretty good, but some have definite bad spots. I would say that the worst roads are those that give you absolutely no way or place to pull off the pavement in an emergency. Wintering in Yuma, AZ I have to say that U.S. 95 south of Las Vegas once it gets into California, all the way to Yuma, is absolutely terrible. Shoulders are cut with a grader blade into sand, are deep and narrow. Very few places to pull off road.
SaladShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #46

Got our first camper last year. Traveled from Pennsylvania to as far as Las Vegas and back. I'd say Indiana,Illinois,and about half of Missouri was a torture rack. Thought I wasn't going to have a truck or camper after that. Once we crossed the Mississippi River I have no complaints at all.
Jason1Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Used to be Oklahoma, but they finally fixed 287 heading south. I find that any route that is a major truck route usually sucks. The bridge expansion joints are the killer. I watch for darker areas in the roadway that indicate the leaking oil and grime that is knocked off of the underside by the jolt of a big bump. I will run in the left lane when there is no traffic to minimize the bumps. I move over when I see someone coming. (I have a rearview camera). Lately at least for Colorado we've seen some of the worst roads repaved which is wonderful, but some of these roads have needed repair or replacement for 10 years. Someone should come up with an app that updates like GasBuddy where people can report bad sections of road, and major road damage that can cause major trailer damage. At least you might be able to avoid a stretch, or change your route. Just a thought for all you app whizzes out there. If it already exists? let me know.

Rough Road app is a great idea!
Old 08-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #48

Maybe it's better now, but I-80 thru much of Indiana and Pennsylvania was bad a couple years ago. Pulled into one rest area in Indiana that was riddled with literally bathtub sized potholes.
vi11agep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #49

Try pulling a 31 ft travel trailer from Denver to Grand junction, you will find your trailer has wings. I drove between 55 and 65 mph. Sure there are worse but hitting a frost heave 16in high and 20 ft wide at 60 mph because you just can't see them very well caused my trailer to leave the ground.
cobaltpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #50

Don't know about the worst road in the US but I'll tell you a story about driving into Mexico awhile back. We were on a bus, crossing a bridge from the US into Mexico. The guide asked us to say when we were in Mexico. Not quite understanding for a few seconds, we realized immediately when we hit the Mexico side. The US built the US side and Mexico built the Mexican side. The US side was smooth and nice, the Mexico side was uneven, bumpy, wavy, crooked from one side of the road to the other side. The Mexico side was like a carnival ride! Worst road I've ever been on (of major paved roads). You could look at it and see exactly where the division was. travel safe!

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #51

I notice the interstates tend to be okay except in urban areas where traffic is greater. I-40 in OK and TX is mostly okay except in Amarillo and OK City, where it is bad.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #52

Freeways made with concrete slabs are the worst, you get constant bucking between each expansion joint. Most of this form of construction is found in California, made worse by overweight trucks.
A close second is I80 over the Sierras, the ruts and rough caused by snow chains is awful.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #53

Almost any bridge expansion joint in the right lane anywhere in the country. I watch for black areas. The darker and bigger the stain on the road, the bigger the bump.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Freeways made with concrete slabs are the worst, you get constant bucking between each expansion joint.
I'll second that! Specifically, I29 in Iowa. The TT was bouncing so bad, we watched the radio antenna wave around in 12 inch circles!

The worst roads are in Iowa.
The worst gas is also in Iowa.
The worst drivers are in CT (New England in general).

As for gas, I don't know what they do to gasoline in Iowa (extra amounts of Ethanol, maybe?), but I only get about half the gas mileage that I normally get! (And it's not just one gas station. It's all over - even different grades of gas.)
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
I'll second that! Specifically, I29 in Iowa. The TT was bouncing so bad, we watched the radio antenna wave around in 12 inch circles!

The worst roads are in Iowa.
The worst gas is also in Iowa.
The worst drivers are in CT (New England in general).

As for gas, I don't know what they do to gasoline in Iowa (extra amounts of Ethanol, maybe?), but I only get about half the gas mileage that I normally get! (And it's not just one gas station. It's all over - even different grades of gas.)

I live in Iowa and completely agree with bouncing caused by expansion cracks on concrete roads, doesn't matter if interstate, highway or some back road. Worst stretch I have experienced is highway 63 between Oskaloosa and Ottumwa you have to slow down to 45 or less it's so bad.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:29 PM   #56

I know this is an old thread but had to chime in on my new worst road. We just traveled I-95 south thru South Carolina and have to say it is the worst interstate highway we have traveled in the last 2 years. Mainly the stretch that is still concrete and has not been paved over. There are many areas where concrete has sunken and left craters that, to say the least, could knock ones false teeth out! Made me want to become one of those driving too slow to be there left-laners that I always complain to DW about, because the left lane seemed to be in better shape.
Just wanted to vent a little but also warn others heading south this fall about this terrible road. But still- Happy Camping.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
I know this is an old thread but had to chime in on my new worst road. We just traveled I-95 south thru South Carolina and have to say it is the worst interstate highway we have traveled in the last 2 years. Mainly the stretch that is still concrete and has not been paved over. There are many areas where concrete has sunken and left craters that, to say the least, could knock ones false teeth out! Made me want to become one of those driving too slow to be there left-laners that I always complain to DW about, because the left lane seemed to be in better shape.
Just wanted to vent a little but also warn others heading south this fall about this terrible road. But still- Happy Camping.
That’s one advantage of some of the lowest gas tax in the nation. Super Poli Grip stock is soaring in our fair state!
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #58

"Worst roads" is a relative term. Most paved roads are pretty good.
Bad roads are ones with no maintenance. That would include mine roads, pavement from 1940 that has never been repaired, severely washboarded roads, and roads with wash outs.
I do not l like pulling a trailer on most crummy roads. It is usually possible to park the trailer at the bottom of the hill, and drive the poor roads without the trailer.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
Naturally the left lanes will be in better shape. Semi's are usually restricted to the right hand lane and the truck's weight does the damage. Not the weight per tire but the total weight in that 60-70 foot section of road.

I've found that if the trucks are avoiding the right hand lane (like in N. CA) I should too. They only use the RH lane when the word is out "enforcement" is nearby.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Naturally the left lanes will be in better shape. Semi's are usually restricted to the right hand lane and the truck's weight does the damage. Not the weight per tire but the total weight in that 60-70 foot section of road.

I've found that if the trucks are avoiding the right hand lane (like in N. CA) I should too. They only use the RH lane when the word is out "enforcement" is nearby.
I agree about the left lane being in better shape and the reasons why. The only bad thing was that I like to run about 65 mph for many reasons including that is the speed that I feel comfortable at when towing my 4 1/2 ton house behind me. Not to mention the bumper to bumper vehicles in that left lane running at least 75 mph. I'm afraid my 65 mph in the left lane might cause a road rage incident!
Guess I just needed to vent about an interstate road being in such bad condition. I do know about poor road upkeep, living on a road that was first paved around 48 years ago and forgotten about. Just wanted to let others know to speed up and be a left-laner for a while on I-95 in S.C. Happy Camping!
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote