Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Custom User Title

Where to stay in Chattanooga, Tenn

I am looking to take my family to Chattanooga for a long weekend and wondered if anyone had suggestions for where to stay. We will be spending most time in town taking the girls to the aquarium, rock city, etc. Anyone stayed around Chatt. with recommendations?

2001 Ford F-250 Lariat CC 7.3L Powerstroke
2009 Salem LA 356 RBDS
Beautiful wife - Julie
Beautiful daughter #1 - Emily 5yrs old
Beautiful daughter #2 - Lucy 3yrs old
2 dumb dogs - Sophie and Duke
southernfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

With the trailer:

Clouldland Canyon State Park, Georgia, and drive the short distance into Chattanooga.

Without the trailer:

Stay at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo, and be sure to stay in one of the old railway cars. The rest of the hotel is somewhat run down but the service was pretty good. The original re-developers of the Choo-Choo hotel complex wanted that section of Chatanooga to be revitalized by its impact, however all the revitalization is over by the aquarium. The Choo-Choo still is a neat place to stay the kids will never forget sleeping in the old train car, the food and shops that are there are OK as well. There is a free electric trolley that will take you to the aquarium.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Site Team

We have stayed at Cloudland Canyon and at Best Holiday Trav-L-Park. I highly recommend both.

From Cloudland Canyon you can take scenic hwy along the ridge (without the RV) Or you can take Tn-193.

Best Holiday Trav-L-Park is on the other side of Chattanooga (Actually in Ringold, Ga) but it's closer to the attractions. It's also a nice park. Very friendly people run it.

I highly recommend the Aquarium, but if you're going to try to do the Ocean Journey and the River Journey in the same day wear your comfortable shoes. I'd also recommend you do the Ocean Journey first (to me it's the best). The River Journey gets long after about 3 stories.

I'd also recommend the IMAX. We went and saw Sea Monsters and it's not what you think. Our 3 year old GD loved it. She kept reaching out trying to catch the fish.

If you want something to do at night, the mystery theater is a good show and the food was good. It's very interactive (or not).
Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Custom User Title

awesome responses, thanks! i am sorry i was not clear. we will be camping in the fifth wheel. i was considering best holiday trav-l pretty heavily, since it is closer to town. myself, i want to stay in cloudland canyon, but this is a trip for the wife and kids to do what they want to do. just out of curiosity, how far is cloudland from downtown and how far is best holiday trav-l from downtown (travel time)?

thanks a million guys!!!

2001 Ford F-250 Lariat CC 7.3L Powerstroke
2009 Salem LA 356 RBDS
Beautiful wife - Julie
Beautiful daughter #1 - Emily 5yrs old
Beautiful daughter #2 - Lucy 3yrs old
2 dumb dogs - Sophie and Duke
southernfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Cloudland canyon is about 20 miles along the ridge and Best Holiday is about 10 miles to the aquarium. It's very easy to get on an off the interstates from there.

The only thing to be aware of is that when going to the park towing, be sure to turn where the sign instructs you to. You can't turn an RV in at what appears to be the entrance. This is definitley not a problem just something to be aware of.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #6

here is a helpful website

enjoy

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #7

I stayed at the KOa in ringgold Georgia and wouldn't recommend it. The park was nice but literally right beside the interstate. Way too noisy for me even though we weren't really camping. It is more of just a stop overnight type of place.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #8

I stayed in the racoon mountain campground in Chattanooga last time through. was very close to the attractions. nice campground
2006 Cherokee 27L (Very Proud Owner) R.V. #8 since 1983
2000 Chevrolet C2500 Classic , 217+ rounds on the clock and still ticking
2004 Chevrolet K2500HD Crew 6.0L
2007 Yamaha 125 Vino (100MPG)
0627L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #9

Talking

Shipps RV Center and Campground (423-892-8275) is kind of close to I75 but very close to I75 and I24 split. It is right by the Camping World store. Since I live here, I have never stayed there but it sure is convenient to downtown (approx 10 mins.). Enjoy your visit to the Scenic City!!
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote