Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Trefty

Yellowstone trip from the midwest, Missouri specifically.

We are planning a trip in June 2014, looking at going SD so we can hit Mount Rushmore on the way since we have never seen it. from there about 9 hrs to west yellowstone it looks like for 6 days at Grizzly rv park. Who has made this trip with a big rig and I would love to know some cant miss places along the way, since we are just planning I am trying to make it a good one. Also, anyone travel home from West Yellowstone another route other than 90? Thanks for sharing
Bvague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #2

I don’t know how much time you have available for your trip but if you can, consider extending your trip and spend a couple of days in Grand Teton National Park. The scenery is spectacular. GTNP is just a few miles south of Yellowstone NP and the entrance fee you pay in Yellowstone is good for GTNP too.
If you do that you can take I-80 on your return trip to MO. We just returned from the area last week.

Here's a pic I took in Grand Teton National Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2304 - Copy.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	39865  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

Yellowstone is fantastic. It is big, it is bigger then big in area. We were in Grants Village (sw end of Yellowstone lake) no hookups and felt that we were to far from thing at times. Stop at one of the visitor center and see the film on the park. Take a good pair of walking shoes. You may want to move 2 days to Grand Teton National Park just south.

Mount Rushmore; it is like $20 to park there (that is the only fee) you can drive by and see it.
I would find an over night place to leave the trailer and spend the day seeing Mount Rushmore , Chief Hosa, Custer state park, and Wind Cave and Badlands National Park. You will not be able to do it all in a day so look and see if any of it appeals to you. There is a road (Maybe 87) around Mount Rushmore and Custer SP that will not take a trailer.

From Mount Rushmore you could stop at Devils Tower National Monument (You can do it in a hour) for lunch on the way to Yellowstone.

There is a lot to think about and I am sure you will get some great idea from the people on this site.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #4

Several campgrounds at Custer State Park which is right in the middle of all the Mt. Rushmore activities; Needles Highway, wildlife loop road (drive this about an hour before dusk), and so much to see. We stayed at Grace Coolidge campground in Sept. 2012 and we have a 30 travel trailer plus our tow vehicle. Plenty of room. Go to my profile and check out the photo album.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Trefty

Great pics old car, except for the blown tires. did your spot at Custer have any hook ups?
Bvague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

Two hours east of Mt. Rushmore, Badlands N.P. is definitely worth a drive through, if not a few days. Oddly, Wall Drug just outside of the Badlands can easily use up half a day.

Don't just drive by Mt. Rushmore. The evening lighting ceremony is well worth seeing.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Site Team

We saw Mt Rushmore, Wind Cave, and Custer State Park last year. Oddly enough, my kids enjoyed Crazy Horse monument more than any of it (and it's not even completed), and night time laser show there.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

On the return trip you can take US 26 from the Tetons through Wyoming and then into Nebraska. You will then intersect I80. It gets you off the interstate. The road is good, at least it was in May '12. Along that route you can see wagon wheel ruts from the Oregon trail. This is near Guernsey, Wy. They are pretty neat to see and ponder especially while touring in an RV. Further east is Scott's Bluff National Park. It is worth a visit, they have a good interpretive center. A little further east is Chimney Rock National Historic Site. We did not go to to the site due to time constraints. There is a RV park on the access road to the park. The owner was real nice and told us a lot about Chimney Rock.

Enjoy your trip.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #9

Bvague, we had an electric hookup and our site was right across from the bathhouse. We actually filled our fresh water tank while parked in our site but it did take a bit of hose. The restrooms were the cleanest I have ever seen. The Grace Coolidge campground only has about 20 sites or so but it was convenient to everything we wanted to do and very peaceful. There is a park ranger pretty much in the campground most of the daylight hours.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #10

If you drop south in the Black Hills, you can take the southern route across SD, and it's a much more leisurely pace than I90. Mission, SD, is a nice stop along the way, and this is my route to Sturgis. The Badlands are a 'must see', as well as Needles Highway (but not with an RV behind--just use your tow vehicle). Spearfish Canyon is well worth the drive, too. And, don't miss the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore in the evening. Hard to be an American and not have a lump in your throat! Hope you have a great trip!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #11

Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD, park rv and drive car or truck thru Needles near Mt Rushmore. Devils Tower, park rv at Billings and drive across Bear Tooth Pass. Tetons and Jackson Hole on the way back. We dropped down into Colorado and visited Estes Park.
hobohaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #12

Needles Highway is an awesome drive, just be prepared for some very narrow tunnels. If you need a CG in the area, Rafter J is a great place for a few days.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #13

I wonder if you will stop at Wall Drug Store? Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #14

We are doing this trip this year from Florida and have done it in the past from Tennessee. I can heartily recommend the Rafter J Bar campground when you are in the Mt. Rushmore area. A beautiful place to stay with friendly staff and close to a lot of things. We particularly enjoyed Custer State Park.
tjwoody09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #15

Yes, the lighting of Mt. Rushmore is a must. What a great way to honor our Vets.

Another neat place is Deadwood, if you have time.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #16

We are making this trip to Yellowstone in June also. Spending 4 nights at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone and another 3 at Colter Bay in the Tetons. Will be watch this tread for advice. We will be out there the 2 thru 9 of June and a little worried about snow at that time.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevinseve View Post
We are making this trip to Yellowstone in June also. Spending 4 nights at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone and another 3 at Colter Bay in the Tetons. Will be watch this tread for advice. We will be out there the 2 thru 9 of June and a little worried about snow at that time.
Yes, we went to Yellowstone in mid-June and it was quite cold. Snowed too.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #18
B@M VOLS

Mad trip across Missouri, rode bikes on Katy Trail in Columbia, traveled N from KC, traveled west on 80, Corn Palace, Wall Drug, Badlands. Camped near Custer State
Park, Rushmore, Crazy Horse area. Camped one nite at Devils Tower ( no hookups)
Camped near Deadwood (im an old Cowboy fan). West to Cody (gotta see museum)
Stayed for week at Fishing Bridge, East entrance to Yellowstone. Three days in Tetons. Pass out of South East Tetons toward Lander is great drive.
blingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #19

If you are from Missouri, I would suggest that you make the Black Hills a destination for a future trip. There is too much to see. Badlands National Park, Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument, Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Spearfish Canyon--the list goes on. If traveling I90 on the way to Yellowstone, consider Little Bighorn Battlefield Monument (Custer Battlefield) if you are into history.
lonewolf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #20

We have visited both areas, SD and Yellowstone/G. Tetons. Beautiful country, and some of the best vacations we ever had with out kids. Still talk about the adventures we've had and would like to take again in those areas. You are going to have such a great time!!!
Campingchick is offline   Reply With Quote

« i75 | Watkins glen »