Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #21

Governor Dodge State Park near Dodgeville, WI. Some sites have electric hookups but we usually only get an electric site in cold weather (electric space heater). We like it because it is about one hour from home. The sites are fairly private and spaced apart. There are many miles of hiking trails in the park. It is about 1 mile from the Military Ridge bicycle trail.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #22

Favorite state patk

Dreyer State Park, West, outside of
Columbia , SC. Amazing lake Murry views. Lovely campground. Electric but not sewer. There is a convenient dump station on the way out. Quiet, and extremely clean. Great biking, fishing, swimming. Really quite nice!
Nancy0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
I’m right there with you on that. Especially Florida State Parks.
like your mention will make a difference

when I want to go to a popular SP in FL in Jan-Mar I get online 11 months ahead of time and push the reservation button no more than 1 sec after it opens

yeah that's right, I try days earlier as a test and make sure I've synchronized with my computer's time, otherwise chance is near zero for many of the SPs

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #24
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Beavers Bend State Park, Broken Bow Oklahoma

Full Hooks with 50amp, W&E then dump. Trout fishing, kayaking, beautiful mountain scenery. Less than 200 mi. from our home near Dallas.

This was the best close by camping prior to 2020. In 2020 the State of Oklahoma changed all sites to Reserve Only and now you would need to plan a year or so in advance.

Lake Havasu State Park (Site #7 or #8) back-in to the lake shore. Gorgeous scenery and crystal clear and cool water. W&E, then dumpstation.

Just finished our 5 year plan to camp in all 50 states so I'll need to go back and visit the blog notes. So now we've been everywhere man!

Check out the new Covid themesong I've Been Nowhere Man!
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #25

It's not a state park because it is in Canada, but the Pinery Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada. Been going there since I was a child and LOVE going there as an adult just as much. The Pinery doesn't offer full hook up sites (no water at sites at this point) and while the sites need to be researched carefully, it is possible to get a beautiful site with some privacy. The bathhouses have all been remodeled relatively recently, it is situated on the shores of Lake Huron, there are miles of beaches, a dedicated dog beach, hiking trails, bike paths, canoe/bike/kayak rentals, fishing, a nice camp store with a restaurant, a separate ice cream counter, things to do in the area as far as sightseeing and the park is clean and safe.

I could go to the Pinery every single summer and never get tired of it. The park has been so popular that even getting a reservation (mandatory if you want to stay there more than 1 night during the summer) is a good trick and requires very careful planning 5 months in advance of your arrival and then hoping you have a great, speedy internet connection when the reservation system opens for that morning!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
Not telling. It is hard to get reservations so don't want to advertise too much LOL! Hint. It is in SC.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I live 25 miles away and wouldn't give you a plug nickle for it personally. In fairness though to each his own.

Jim & Brenda
USMC Vet.
Asst. Fire Chief - Ret.
2018 RAM 3500 CC DRW
2017 Flagstaff Super Lite 29RKBS
ACJCF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #27

So far Colleton S.P. in SC. Small, friendly, and quiet. On the river. Hoping Devil's Fork S.P. will kill it this fall. Mountain time!

Jim & Brenda
USMC Vet.
Asst. Fire Chief - Ret.
2018 RAM 3500 CC DRW
2017 Flagstaff Super Lite 29RKBS
ACJCF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #28

Weston Bend State Park and Watkins Mills State Park are two good ones in the Kansas City area. They are popular so advanced reservations are necessary. Both area in a natural setting so if you are looking for amenities other than water and electric you are out of luck. On the bright side. If you are looking for a wooded setting for outdorsey type stuff they are good for that. Another option in Smithville Lake operated by Clay County Parks. Good for boating and hiking with lots of easy trails. I use the all quite often.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #29

Yankee Springs Date Park in Michigan...From our lot in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200715-211009.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	233981  
Hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #30

Lake Fausse Point State Park, St Martinville, LA

Nice older campground on the edge of the Atchafalaya Basin. Some full hookups most have only Water and Electric (20, 30, 50).

Poor Internet and NO Cell Service.

I can go there, launch my fishing boat and not have to recover it until it is time to leave several days later.

Bass, Bream, Sac-a-lait and Catfish
Old 07-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #31

So far this year: We are staying at James Island County park (does that count?) And it's mostly shaded, except for our spot this week. They have lots of trails, a great dog park, you feel very secluded and the kids love that it has a water park!
Mxsk8srf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #32

Right now...

My state park experience is somewhat limited with regards to camping but I give two thumbs up to Lake Whitney SP in Texas. We are here right now and were here three weeks ago as well. We have our FR Vengeance as well as our boat and love the area. They have quite a few pull-through spots with full hookups and some other W/E sites you back into. Easy access to the lake and it’s a popular spot in TX for striped bass. Not a ton in the park for other activities but it’s a super comfortable place to camp.
Sn8kfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #33

State Park

Hard to pick just one there are so many great ones a couple by state - Tallulah Gorge SP in Georgia, Hunting Island SP in SC and Manatee Springs SP in FL
Stokoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #34
Jim_W

Missouri State Parks

Crowder SP has hiking, fishing and great facilities. The hosts have always been helpful. It’s small so get reservations.

Also, agree with Sunseeker about Weston Bend. It’s only a mile or so from Weston, which is a fun small town. If it’s full just up the road is Lewis and Clark SP, if it has recovered from the 2019 floods. Atchison, KS is very close to L&C. Several fun things to see for kids and adults.
WilsonsOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #35

Huntington Beach State Park near Myrtle Beach, north campground. Just about every site on the outer road is very private. All are well shaded and quiet
Old 07-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #36

Another vote for a SoDak park.. Lewis and Clark state park in Yankton, South Dakota.

Bike trails, a hydro-electic dam you can tour, fish hatchery, archery, beach, fishing, swimming, boating, kayaking, and beautiful scenery and more..

They do not have full hookups. Just electric but water is available as well as a dumping station. Large sites bit a very busy park. Don't expect to drive in there and get a spot. Reservations are pretty much required but same-day sites are available.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #37

Kring Point

My favorite is Kring Point near Alexandria Bay, NY. It is situated on the St Lawrence River and has waterfront sites. Only 20a electric, no sewer hookup and one water spiket for 20 sites. With all of that said, it is well worth carrying 200 feet of hose and having to dump via my Rhino tank every day or two. Such a beautiful place to be and there is so much for the kids to do.
dstobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #38

Ridgeway State Park CO

Wow, I’m the 1st to mention Colorado State Parks? Hard to go wrong with any of the 50+ parks. We like Ridgeway State Park as one. Situated in the San Juan’s on the Uncompahdre River. Great Lake with all the water adventures including a great beach and swim area for the kids. Then there’s the spectacular scenery, the old mining towns you can visit while 4 wheeling. Hiking, biking, waterfalls, the area has it all. The current towns within a short distance, Ouray, Telluride, and Silverton. All historic mining towns still thriving. I could name a few other parks, but I’ll let you find them for yourself.
Darylosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #39

Just got back from Harry Truman State Park near Warsaw, MO, Lake of the Ozarks Region. Very nice quiet park. Wooded. Lots of wildlife. Hiking, boating and endless places to go to be alone if thats what you are looking for.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #40

Hungry Mother State Park, camp burson in Virginia walking trails boats to rent lake a beach shaded sites and it's only an hour from the house
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote