Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #1

Your Favorite State Park

What is your favorite state park to camp in? Does it have full hookups? What do you love most about it (other than the price!)?
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #2

Cape Henelopen, Delaware. The park is shaded and offers water and electric with dumps sites at the exit. Nice size campsites with really nice fire pits. Easy walk to the beach and the hiking and biking trails are great.
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #3

None near by that are great. The one near by is more expensive than the private parks. State park one dump station, small sites, private park full hook ups, large sites, $10 a night cheaper.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #4

Brown County State Park in Nashville, IN. It's about 30 minutes from Bloomington, IN. I camped there quite a bit as a kid in tents. Now, 30 years later, I am taking my daughter there in our Roo. Nostalgia could be a big part of it for me.

It has 3 different loops. Buffalo Ridge for the full hookup crowd, Racoon Ridge for the tenters (15A electric at most sites), and Taylor Ridge (30A electric). Taylor is my favorite as all of the sites are shaded. It is located on the ridge of a large foothill.

For those who prefer more permanent lodging there is a nice lodge/hotel with a large indoor aquatic center. If you want more rustic buildings, several cabins are also available.

When entering the park it is a 15 min drive from the front gate to the camping area. Some parts of Taylor are another 10min from there.

The hiking, mountain biking, and horse trails are great. They do have trail horses available for some of the year. There a few a few nice lakes/ponds too. I think you are allowed to launch your own boat one one of them. I don't believe it can have a motor. The nature center does regular weekend programs. Some are aimed at the little ones and some a more general crowd.

The town of Nashville is a quaint tourist town. Movie theater, playhouse, restaurants, and plenty of souvenir shops. The grocery store and old fashioned hardware store are right before the traffic gets bad in town so they are easy to get to.

The fall is my favorite time to go. Cooler weather and changing leaves. Hayrides in October.

There truly is something for everyone. I have kept going there after moving away from IN. Used to drive up from STL (7 hours), now from Columbus, OH (5-7 hrs), each year.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
Retired Army MSG!

Not telling. It is hard to get reservations so don't want to advertise too much LOL! Hint. It is in SC.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
Not telling. It is hard to get reservations so don't want to advertise too much LOL! Hint. It is in SC.

I’m right there with you on that. Especially Florida State Parks.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
OldSoldiers

Fools Hollow State Park, Show Low, Arizona.
OldSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #8

Lincoln Rock SP - Washington - Fully serviced and unserviced sites - fully paved and manicured like a golf course - enclosed swimming area - boat docks - tennis courts - horseshoe pitches - soccer/football fields - ball diamonds - close to wine country - need I say more?
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #9

Wind Creek

Wind Creek State Park,
We stayed back in June for the first time. Located on Lake Martin and has full hookups. Very clean bath houses and laundry rooms. Many activities along with both 30 and 50 amp services. Would stay there again.
Lumberton1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
I’m right there with you on that. Especially Florida State Parks.
Haha! I've got our "secret" places too! Hopefully someone will share yours! I hear ya about florida state parks. I'm trying daily to get into some now!
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #11

Lake Ouachita State Park. Full hookups at each site, ultra clean restrooms and showers, level pads, scenic surrounding, one of the clearest lakes in Arkansas, great campground staff
Conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #12

Custer State Park, South Dakota. Not full hook up. Its beautiful, full of wildlife, and there's plenty to do within the park and surrounding area.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #13

Hungry Mother State Park in Virginia. Camp Burson has site specific reservations and sites with full hookups. Nice Lake and great hiking trails.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #14
FR3

Gulf Shores State Park, Gulf Shores , Alabama. Full hook up plenty of trails to hike or bike. Then there is the Gulf Of Maxico and beautiful white sandy beaches .
Leerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #15
Censored Member

Most of MO state parks are my favorite but not all. My least favorite (OK I hate it) is St. Joe State Park. From their website; “The roar of engines breaks the stillness of the Old Lead Belt at St. Joe State Park, one of two off-road vehicle parks in the state park system. The many trails set aside for off-road vehicle use make the park the premiere off-road vehicle area.”

Yes camping with noise pollution and the smell of gasoline and exhaust fumes wafting through the air is not my idea of enjoying nature. On a positive note, some of the ATV area is over the old lead tailings from the days of lead mining in the area. Been there once, won’t be back.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSoldier View Post
Fools Hollow State Park, Show Low, Arizona.
That's on our list and taking the kayaks with.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #17
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
Edisto or Hunting...LOL

BTW: Ours is Coles Creek on the St Lawrence Seaway in Upstate NY. They pick up your trash, bring you firewood. Water is not on site, but if you pick the right site you can fill your camper while at your site from the faceuts around the campground. Some of the sites are waterfront!
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #18
Chris and Cecil

Favorite State Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGACamper View Post
What is your favorite state park to camp in? Does it have full hookups? What do you love most about it (other than the price!)?
Hands down, Desoto State Park in Fort Payne AL. Gorgeous. Full hook ups, buddy sites for camping with friends, privacy, as amply sized sites are separated by lots of trees. Hiking is great, pool, tennis, zip line, bathhouses are spotless and appear new. Laundry facilities in the bathhouses. Lots of Conservation Corp history, too.

Wifi could be better but hey, you don't go camping to stream movies.

And the primitive area is great too. DH and his friends go up each year in January and camp in the primitive area, spending a weekend talking big and acting ugly, reinforced with beer and woodsmoke.

We've been to almost all of the state parks in AL and this one is our absolute fave.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
None near by that are great.
Where do you live in Virginia?
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #20

We have several near home in Pearl River, La. and all are great: 1. Fontainebleau State Park, Mandeville La. only 6 sites have full hook-ups the rest have W & E, 1 Dump Station; 2. Riverside State Park Madisonville, La. no Full Hook ups, all have W & E, 2 dump stations; 3. Bogue Chitto State Park, Franklinton, La. all sites Full hook-ups, 1 dump Station; McCleod Water Park, Kiln Ms., all full hook-ups.

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote