Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #1

1500w inverter

We just bought a brand new 2021 Sandstorm 336gslr. When we did the walk through I asked how the inverter worked. Long story short... he said the inverter and solar just charge the batteries and pushed us out the door. Our other toy hauler didn't have solar or an inverter. Can someone explain to me how to use it? I've looked at it and the worthless paperwork.
Bailey203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #2

Most likely that your inverter will power something with the 120 volt it needs when you're not connected to shore power. It will convert the 12 volt from your battery into 120 volt. If you have a residential refrigerator, more than like your inverter will power that when you're travelling. We had one like that in our Vibe 248RKS and that's what it was for.
montelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #3

Looks like the standard unit has a 220 W solar panel.
The inverter/charger converts the power from the panel to a nominal 12VDC to charge the battery. I say nominal because the voltage varies depending on how much charge needs to be delivered to the battery.

You trailer should also have a convertor. This is powered by 120 VAC when you are on shore power or generator power. It provides nominal 12 VDC to the battery.

I assume the trailer came with one or two lead acid batteries?

If so, both the convertor and solar inverter/charger are likely set up for charging lead acid batteries.

I'll add that in the RV world we have two types of interters.
There is the inverter/charger for the solar system as I described above.

There is also (I see this on the options for your model TT) an invertor as montelovers mentions above that is used to provide AC power using your battery when you are off shore power.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:28 AM   #4
Always Learning

Solar is there to charge the batteries. Nothing really "runs" off of solar.

The inverter is there to make 120v power from 12v power. Typical factory installs, it's there to just power a residential fridge. It's pretty rare that they get into much more than that.

My big recommendation is do some experimenting. Unplug from shore power and, if you have one, make sure the generator is off. Turn the inverter ON. Then, take either a non-contact voltage detector or just a string of Christmas lights and start plugging into every outlet you can find. Write down what all works.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #5

It only came with one battery and I had a second added. The fridge is the normal rv fridge. I'm going to experiment a bit when it comes back from forest river. Go figure.... already made two payments and haven't even got to use it.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #6

It's not a residential fridge. I'm going to do some experimenting when I get it back from forest river. Being a toy hauler the salesman said the inverter powers a few 120 plugs without the generator running. I couldn't find one that was hot.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey203 View Post
It's not a residential fridge. I'm going to do some experimenting when I get it back from forest river. Being a toy hauler the salesman said the inverter powers a few 120 plugs without the generator running. I couldn't find one that was hot.
That's super weird. There might be some inverter-specific outlets that you have to unplug from one and into the other.

Have you followed the wiring off of the inverter to see where it goes?

The other option is to contact Sandstorm and see if they can provide guidance.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #8

I have not. Barely had it a week before it went in for repairs
Old 09-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #9

Is your fridge 12 volt or 120 volt? It’s propane or ac, right?
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #10

12V and propane
Old 09-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #11

Sorry was driving. It's 12V with propane or it'll run off the integrated generator
Old 09-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey203 View Post
12V and propane
You can have a 12v only fridge or propane/110v AC RV fridge, a small 3-way fridge or a residential fridge. But I've never seen a 12v/propane fridge.
The propane side does use 12v to ignite the propane.
3-way fridges are the only type that has 12v only and propane, in addition to the 110v AC power. But they are usually much smaller, mostly dorm fridge size.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, inverter