Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #1

2002 Wildwood 29' fifth wheel.

Ok at the power transformer. I have a 30 amp, a 20 amp breaker....followed by a double pole 15 then another double pole 15. So from left to right it would be 30 20 ( 1515 ) and ( 15 15) of course in parenthesis being on the same breaker. My question is, can I exchange a 20 amp double in place of one of the 15s. ? I did notice the wiring in the trailer is Romex. Not unlike the wiring in a Home. So I can't see why it would not carry 20 amps. I'm trying to run a portible A/C to boost cooling capacity of the RV....thanks for advise in advance. ( Oh and yes the portable AC will blow the 15 amp after about 3 minutes longer if it's not too hot outside.
Theroadisalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:34 PM   #2

You need to see what size wire they installed. if it is 12/2 then it is rated for 20 amps, but if it is 14/2 then it is only good for 15 amps. Installing a 20amp breaker with 14/2 cable could very well cause a fire due to overheating of the conductors.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel, wildwood