Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

A Newbie Forever

My wife and I just recently purchased our second travel trailer--a Flagstaff 831 FKBSS. The tech. guy spent four-and-a-half hours carefully explaining all the features of the new trailer. You guessed it; we still had questions after our first camping trip in the new trailer. We did not find one button that did not work; however, the electric stablizer jacks fail to maintain a stable trailer--lots of trailer movement when we walk about in the trailer. Neither of us weigh more than 150 pounds; our two dogs weigh only 15 pounds each. I am wondering if this trailer (34'9" long) should have another set of stablizer jacks somewhere near the middle of the trailer length. Leveling the trailer was not a problem; I know not to use the stablizer jacks as levelers. We are looking forward to our next short trip--five days--before it becomes necessary to winterize. We can hardly wait until Spring. Cheers! John
jssteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Always Learning

Yes, jacks at the axles will make a huge difference (or so they say so on the forum), I haven't tried it yet.

Other ideas:
http://learntorv.blogspot.com/2013/0...ilization.html
Old 10-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #3

I would put X-chocks between the tires on both sides to lock the wheels together they took out 80% of movement in my rig
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!!!!
If you have the Lippert stabs as we do they will not work very well for side to side movement. They work well for end to end movement.
They do not lock or bind side to side. They are self leveling which is good or bad.
I notice the movement and I don't mind. We have a travel trailer and I'm OK with it.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #5

Welcome So many things to learn and tweak ~ you'll be posting your lessons and teaching other newbies soon I have noticed that sometimes I feel like I'm docked rather than parked
Old 10-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #6

Welcome! We have a 2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS, and have also noticed more movement than with other trailers we've owned. Part of the reason, I believe, is due to the use of torsion bar axles on the unit, and the axles being set closer together.

We also X-chock both sides of the trailer, and due to axle placement, the devices have to be nearly collapsed in order to fit them in. We also have a BAL device that is made to accomplish the same results, but rests on the ground. While it worked on the other trailers we've owned, it cannot 'shorten' enough to fit between the wheels on this model.

Currently, we also use the collapsible aluminum stabilizers that tension with a ratcheting strap. They are very light in weight and take very little space, but really seem to help. I place one under the step mount, and one at the front of the frame. We only use these when we're staying a week or two at one location, as the trailer movement isn't that distracting to us.

It sounds like your tech guy did an excellent job of explaining the trailer, and your experience operating it on your own was 100% normal. Be sure to share your ideas and adventures with us!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

We use BAL delux chocks( predecessor to x chocks) between the tires on both sides. I also go through a routine when I set up' First, level trailer side to side using what ever (wood blocks, lynks blocks, etc.) then level front to back using tongue jack. Then put rear stabs down and lift slightly then front stabs and lift slightly. This takes some of the tension off the suspension. When putting the stabs down, try to block them up so the stabs will travel the less distance as possible. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help. My wife and I are going out one more week with our new trailer. First, I must remember to level axles; the trailer does lean to the driver's side the state park, Montauk State Park in Mo. If I can do a better job leveling the trailer before using the stablizer jacks, perhaps some or all of the trailer movement can be corrected. If not, my next move is to look into additional stablizer jacks; the trailer movement will be a challenge until I can correct it as much as possible. Thanks everyone! John
jssteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssteward View Post
Thanks for all the help. My wife and I are going out one more week with our new trailer. First, I must remember to level axles; the trailer does lean to the driver's side the state park, Montauk State Park in Mo. If I can do a better job leveling the trailer before using the stablizer jacks, perhaps some or all of the trailer movement can be corrected. If not, my next move is to look into additional stablizer jacks; the trailer movement will be a challenge until I can correct it as much as possible. Thanks everyone! John
Just remember the existing stabilizers are just that - for stabilizing and not *leveling*.

You want to level with boards or something under the tires to get leveled side to side (unless you have a fancy leveling system).

Tags