Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #1

About to buy 1st travel trailer

Hello all, Ashley from Maryland here. I'm about to buy my first travel trailer and would love some input on my two favorite ones-
2014 Rockwook 8312ss and the Coachmen 320BHDSLE. I prefer the floor plan of the coachmen but I believe said and done it may be to heavy. We don't have a coachmen close enough to go look at and check the actual yellow sticker dry weight. We do have a dealership right down the road that can order one, but Im worried what the actual sticker weight will be. The catalog weight says 7015, but we all know that changes once the outside kitchen, a/c, and such are added.
The rockwood is already down the street from us and is pullable, but I feel we are setteling because we are scared of the weights.
We are pulling with a 2007 cadilac escalade rated at 8100 pounds. Please, any help would be awesome, especially if there is someone with the coachmen that can give me a real dry weight.
ash4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #2

Ashley,

Welcome to the forum. Alot of more people will chime in I am sure and your question is pretty common from a first timer.

In my opinion though and I don't want you to get upset, but in my opinion, both of these trailers are probably too heavy for your Escalade. The reason being, most people camp with 1000-1500lbs of stuff in their camper from the dry weight. I know we have limited things in ours but, with two kids and packed full for a few days of camping we are about 1200lbs worth of additional weight.

The dry weight of the 8312ss is 6974lbs. That leaves you with 1126lbs of additional weight inside the trailer on top of the dry weight listed by Forest River.

You also need to look at your combined weight limit of the Escalade. That would be what the Escalade, passengers, cargo, etc + the trailer. You'd be surprised the weight of the Escalade with a full tank of fuel, kids, and tongue weight of the trailer. When you add that to the total weight of the trailer you might be well over the Combined weight limit specified by GM.

I'm certainly not the weight police or not trying to be but, everyone will want you to be safe. In my opinion, you might be looking at too much trailer for the Escalade, even if in probably both cases the salesmen at the dealer said you are fine.

Again, some others might chime in with more specifics or different views but, it's all our opinions.
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #3

Lots of weight threads on this group of forums. If it's already that close to the limit, you'll be overloaded from the get-go. You need to look at it's gross weight and add the weight of people, fuel, etc.

Best of luck with your selection... Welcome to the group!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #4

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy which ever choice you make. That being said, there are a lot of people here (weight police) that will say your supplies, propane optional equipment, passengers, and WD hitch will put an extra 1000 lbs on easy. If you have towed regularly before, it's your call. If this is your first time pulling, stay well under your limits so you can avoid showing up at the campground with those dreaded white knuckles. Another thing to look at is how much you can put on the bumper. I think that the softer suspension on an SUV vs it's truck counterpart may limit the hitch weight.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #5

HowStuffWorks "Cadillac Towing Capacity Chart"

What model is your caddy?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #6

Wow, I am so impressed with all the fast replies!! I figured I would be waiting days to see if anyone at all responded! Thank you so much.
Just to add a little more info....the dry weight of the rockwood is 7250 and my escalade says it can pull 8100. We are moving from Maryland and plan to stay in the travel trailer, probably at pirate land in Myrtle Beach while our house is being built. So, we will not be towing it often (we even plan on having it delivered to MB, but would like the option to travel back to Maryland with it of course.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
2007 Escalade (regular awd not extended)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash4216 View Post
2007 Escalade (regular awd not extended)

Ah.
Perhaps another trailer (lighter) or a more robust TV.

8100-7250 = 850
That 850 pounds is for everything you add to the caddy and the trailer.
People, food ,water, clothes, propane.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Ah.
Perhaps another trailer (lighter) or a more robust TV.

8100-7250 = 850
That 850 pounds is for everything you add to the caddy and the trailer.
People, food ,water, clothes, propane.
to the forums!

I agree its the combination of the two (TV & trailer) numbers that you need to be aware of. Just filling up the fresh water can eat up most of the available weight. OK, you might avoid filling the fresh water but what the other stuff you might add in? Guests? Supplies? Equipment? Family pet? Etc.

Not all new owners have a good understanding of dry weight vs. actual weight - I know I didn't. Most people don't tow with the TT being empty except when taking delivery of the unit.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #10

I am so disappointed...I really thought we had found a tt we could pull and live in while the house is being built. I have no idea what to do now. But I do appreciate all the help, thank you.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
Site Team

I understand how disappointing this can be. You did mention something about having it delivered which would remove the towing factor out of the picture, at least for now.

When I first brought my TT I didn't have a TV so I borrowed my sister's Yukon for almost a year before I got a truck. Before I brought the truck I thought I had found the right TV more than once before I was given the sad news that I was off the mark with my choice. In the end it worked out and it will also work out for you too. Don't give up.

PS
Be aware of sales staff using "dry weight" numbers in the sales pitch.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer