Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #1

Ac compressor keeps turning off, HELP

I own a freedom express 292bhds, 2012. The air conditioning, when turned on, will start the fan, as well as the compressor on the unit, but the compressor will turn off within 2-3 minutes, but the fan will stay on. Obviously the camper will not ever cool down, and I am camping in 100 degree heat right now. Please help!! I have tried to turn off the breaker and reset it. I have tied to switch all the other appliances to gas, thinking there was too much draw on the camper or something, but with no luck. Everything I do results in the same thing, the compressor shutting down after a few minutes. It will kick back on periodically, but again, only for a couple minutes. All he wiring appears to be intact when I look, and when the compressor is actually on,, cool air comes out. I am at a loss, does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.
seanorr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanorr77
I own a freedom express 292bhds, 2012. The air conditioning, when turned on, will start the fan, as well as the compressor on the unit, but the compressor will turn off within 2-3 minutes, but the fan will stay on. Obviously the camper will not ever cool down, and I am camping in 100 degree heat right now. Please help!! I have tried to turn off the breaker and reset it. I have tied to switch all the other appliances to gas, thinking there was too much draw on the camper or something, but with no luck. Everything I do results in the same thing, the compressor shutting down after a few minutes. It will kick back on periodically, but again, only for a couple minutes. All he wiring appears to be intact when I look, and when the compressor is actually on,, cool air comes out. I am at a loss, does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.
First of all welcome to the forum!
I really can't help much other than I have to believe you may be low on Freon allowing compresser to fire for a few minutes then shutting off.
You also may have a high or low pressure switch that's bad.
Thermostat may have issues as well.
Really hard to tell.
id be calling the closest dealer tomorrow morning.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #3

Check in the manual or on the unit for a reset switch. If you have one, it is for high head pressure and often trips with bad power input or hot weather. They trip at work sometimes and it allows the unit blower to run, just not the compressor.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Your unit is under warranty. A call to your dealer is in order.
They should give you authorization for a service call.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #5

It's possible for units to freeze up in high humidity conditions -like frost in the old type frigdes. If this is the case and you didn't keep trying to run it just shut it off and let it melt/thaw.
My mother in law's home A/C unit did this 2 years ago. Happens to the big commercial units all the time.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #6

short cycling is usually an indication of low freon. the thermostat may also be the issue sense it blows cool air for the 2-3 minutes that it is on. don't believe it is anything u can repair (unless its the thermostat)...i'd call a tech.
that cool air coming out makes me believe it is a thermostat. don't believe if it was low enough on freon to short cycle that u would have cool air.

u may also want to go on top and see if there is a good air flow coming thru the coils. the air blows out the coil. if something has happened to the fan on that end of the motor shaft, it could cause it to go out on high pressure. (this one is probably a low probability)
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, compressor