Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #1

Alot to Learn, 1st time Owner

Just picked up a 2021 Grey wolf Black label, and feeling pretty satisfied. We went today and stocked it up to be mostly prepared when its time to go- Its crazy how much we spent on what one would think to be bare essentials. I have a lot to learn about the RV world and am really glad I found this Forum. Been doing a lot of reading on here about possible generators to buy later on and my equipped solar panels. Glad to be here!
Old 03-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Site Team

This thread link below may help too and is aimed at first timers.

Welcome to the forums

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum! DW and I are first time owners of our Apex Nano. And over the first year, we've learned A LOT. First thing you should install are vent covers for the roof vents. We did that within days of getting it in the driveway. Make sure you open every access panel, look carefully inside every cabinet, under each bench, and inspect everything. We did a bunch of vacuuming under the converter/fridge, under the shower pan, under the benches. Used a bunch of zip ties and split wire loom to protect wires and PEX tubing from chafing from rubbing on rough cut wood. Even out front, I protected the wires and propane lines with split wire loom and zip ties wherever they might rub against the chassis, and to clean up the wires going to the batteries.

Have fun! Oh, and if you have ez-lube axles, you might wanna pump some grease into them (look for videos for how to do it properly) just to make sure they're properly filled with grease. We found one of ours was pretty good, but the other needed quite a bit. Gentle pressure with the grease gun, don't wanna blow out a seal.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting that Grey Wolf. Spending money has just begun for you. But there is also all the great times you are going to have camping. This forum is a wealth of knowledge that is priceless. Great people that are ready to help with any issues you may have. Happy Camping Mordikai!

firephighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordikai View Post
Just picked up a 2021 Grey wolf Black label, and feeling pretty satisfied. We went today and stocked it up to be mostly prepared when its time to go- Its crazy how much we spent on what one would think to be bare essentials. I have a lot to learn about the RV world and am really glad I found this Forum. Been doing a lot of reading on here about possible generators to buy later on and my equipped solar panels. Glad to be here!
Welcome! You’re gonna love it, but you’re right, there is a tremendous amount of stuff to learn, and it can get daunting. Just read, read, read, everything! There is a ton of info here and on other platforms, and YouTube can be a great resource. Just remember that there are a lot of opinions out there and it’s important to verify the information posted. Good luck and happy camping!

RKC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
We went today and stocked it up to be mostly prepared when its time to go- Its crazy how much we spent on what one would think to be bare essentials.
It does take a bit of money to equip an rv with bare essentials. It's a bit like furnishing a small apartment. Then there are the things you'll need to 'customize' it as time goes on. But it's worth it.
Congratulations on your new rig and welcome to the forum!
Old 03-14-2021, 05:55 PM   #7

Oh, and then there are the eventual upgrades... Might wanna make a list of things that are essential, things that would be nice to upgrade in the first year, and things that are longer-term upgrades. We replaced the bathroom faucet fairly soon, with one that had a little longer reach. Shower head was replaced with one that had an on/off valve. Added a 2nd battery, battery cutoff switch, bedlift struts... uh... lots of stuff.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #8
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
I do not know what the tingue weight of your Grey Wolf is. I am going to suggest you review that and then compare to the payload of your Tundra - unless you have already done that.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #9

I did look into that and the ratio looks great aside from the truck hauling it quite well. And not to mention my lifetime powertrain warranty, that has been successfully used on transmissions of mine in the past.

My Truck - 381-horsepower 5.7-liter V-8 possesses a maximum towing capacity of 10,500 pounds and maximum payload of 2,060 pounds

My Camper - Hitch Weight 725 lbs
Gross Weight 7725 lbs
Dry Weight 5795 lbs
Old 03-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:

My Truck - 381-horsepower 5.7-liter V-8 possesses a maximum towing capacity of 10,500 pounds and maximum payload of 2,060 pounds
That max rating is for a basic Tundra. You need to look at the driver's door payload capacity sticker to find what your particular Tundra is rated for.
I looked at around 50 different used crewcab Tundra and the highest payload I found was only around 1500lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #11

Even if I was at the minimum 1500 payload I would still be at around half of my max though, possibly a little bit more from the extra load of supplies. I have quite a bit of experience hauling heavy equipment with a range of other vehicles, and this trailer sits great on my suspension and the truck pulls it well. I also have a different forum for my tundra and have spoke with many people that haul campers heavier than mine with the same truck model and set up as mine and have no problem.

Edit - I have the double cab with TRD suspension and towing package

2nd edit- I realize this post looks ignorant, so I just did an hour of research to properly figure out my actual tow ratings specific for my truck-
16000 gcwr
10000 twr
7110 gvwr for my truck
7725 gvwr for the trailer
14835/16000 gcwr is high but still doable I think
Tongue weight capacity is a little harder to find
Old 03-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #12

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your 2021 Grey Wolf Black Label.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #13

Welcome to the forum. Have fun out there with that setup. Are you planning on short weekend trips or long haul cross country vacations? either way there is a whole world out there to explore.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote