Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

another dog lady

Hello. I just got a Rockwood A122 a few days ago, towing it with a Grand Caravan. I initially looked at TTs and HTTs, since my van was supposed to be able to pull up to 3500lbs. Only one dealer was honest enough to say it would never happen, that I should stick to pop-ups until I get a better tow vehicle. Thus, the A122. I do like triangles, but I am still going to keep my eye on that Micro Lite 21FBRS I saw at the RV show.

I won't be doing any "real" camping. The A122 is a place to sleep at dog agility trials so I don't have to schlep my four dogs in and out of a hotel one at a time. That gets old very fast. All my camping will be dry, at most three nights, but usually one night. Few of the trial sites I go to are parks. Most are on private property with no amenities, or just a porta-potty, so I will have to bring all my water and fuel with me.

I have been reading about how much heavier people's campers are after they get loaded up with stuff. I feel like I have been writing my list incorrectly, that I am forgetting a lot of things. Yeah, I am bringing water, propane, battery, but that's not adding up to 500 pounds or more. Some people add more than 800 pounds of gear in their trailers!? I'll see if I have forgotten when I go to my first trial in a month, to camp overnight at a place where I will know a lot of the others who will be there with me. I do know I will have to add the weight of the desserts everyone will be expecting from me at the Saturday night potlucks. I've been spoiling them too much, passing around homemade cookies, cakes, pies and such, in the afternoons, trying to get rid of my experiments in baking from during the weeks prior to the trial.
MishaFoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
MI Camperz

Sounds like fun! Camping with 4 dogs in a cozy camper.
Sure does sound better than hotels.

Question: re: agility.
I have a 6 mos. puppy (5 pounds) who just loves to run! She just tears around at top speed in the house and outside. She's so fast! I've never seen anything quite like it with my other dogs. What age should I consider agility training with her? Seems a waste not to let her enjoy her passion of running. I heard you have to wait a year to avoid hip problems with the rigors of agility.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Congrats on your new Rockwood A122!

It's not uncommon to under guess the weight of supplies & stuff. The best way to know what your stuff weighs is to hit a weight station like CAT scales and get weighed. Then you will be dealing with real numbers. Also keep in mind that stuff including people & pets in the TV (Grand Caravan) will be a part of the picture as well.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Question: re: agility.
I have a 6 mos. puppy (5 pounds) who just loves to run! She just tears around at top speed in the house and outside. She's so fast! I've never seen anything quite like it with my other dogs. What age should I consider agility training with her? Seems a waste not to let her enjoy her passion of running. I heard you have to wait a year to avoid hip problems with the rigors of agility.
Ready for a lecture?

You can start now, with obstacle familiarization and basic handling skills. Agility is not just about the dog running around with great speed. You have to know how to direct your dog, and your dog needs to understand your direction, if you are not fast enough to run by your dog's side for a full minute with many changes in direction and little loss of speed. "Stay" and "come" need to be rock solid and instantly heeded. I don't know any websites that teach handling, as I go to an agility school, but you can work agility skills such as front cross, rear cross, post turns, "two on, two off" (2o2o) contact training and sends ("go out" or "out") without obstacles. 2o2o can be done at the base of a set of stairs. Use a different word for a command for 2o2o other than "stay."

For the obstacles, you can make a lot of them at home, or buy some cheaply online, or look at them online and then copy how they are made . I have a 5 month old puppy, and I started obstacle familiarization with her when I got her home. Actually, her breeders did by having some homemade tubes (tunnels) laying around for the puppies to go through as they wanted. At home, I just lay obstacles around my house for the puppy to see and not be scared of, as my first dog was petrified of these things when I started training her at 3 years old.

I have the Pac N Go Rec five foot normal width tunnel and the two foot mini tunnel. These can easily sit in the house or outside. They fold up easy and are light. You can make either of these into a chute by clipping a sheet to one end. Start with a very short flap so the dog does not get scared in case of entanglement in a long sheet.

I have the plastic seesaw base from Arf and Running. That is super cheap for a teeter base. For in home practice Max200 sells a tippy board, which is just a short plank with a PVC pipe screwed to the center of it. That is easily made at home. Remember to treat all wood with a layer of paint mixed with sand. Dogs cannot grip smooth wood straight from the hardware store very well. The sand creates a texture that increases your dog's safety.

I also have the cheapo tire from Arf and Running.

Weave pole training can start now as well with "stick in the ground" weave poles in a 2x2 set up. Max200 sells these as well. I just staked skinny PVC poles into the ground with a mallet. The 2x2 is just a set of 2 poles at regulation distance of whatever venue you plan to run, usually 24 inches apart. The most difficult part of weaves is the correct entry, with the first pole having to be on your dogs left shoulder, followed by completed forward motion around the second pole with it on the dog's right shoulder. This can be taught to puppies without being detrimental. The worry with weaves is making puppies do a full set of 12 repeatedly. This can mess up their shoulders.

Finally, jumps. My puppy is already doing them with the bar on the ground. sure dogs have to go over the jump, but they really need to know what to do with the jump, how to find it, to look for it themselves, realize it's there, see it and do it. Too many people just have their dogs heel by their sides, the dog staring up at the owner, not actually looking where they, the dogs, are going. The jump is just as important as any of the fancier obstacles. Depending on the height of the dog, the bar can be raised once your dog is confident about going between the jump standards (the things that hold the jump bar up), but only a little bit, just enough for the dog to recognize that they now need to put effort into lifting their feet up. Full height jump training should wait until the dog has finished growing. Max200, and many other agility vendors, sells jump cup strips that can be attached to homemade jumps.

And then there is distance training. Once your dog recognizes obstacles and can do them on command, mostly, you can start moving yourself farther away while telling the dog to do the obstacle. Farther away means progressing in inches over a period of days or weeks.

Did I wear out your eyes? Ha!
2013 Grand Caravan
2013 Rockwood A122
MishaFoomin is offline   Reply With Quote