Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #1

Another Newb - Fredericktown Mo

Hello all, new here to the forum...

My G/f and I have found a really great camp site with several couple with that we camp with regularly...

We've been camping a lot the last few years, we started out with a tent, then bought a well used Starcraft Pop up and as of late we've been tossing about the idea of upgrading to something a bit bigger/Nicer since we use the heck out of the Pop up, I'm not afraid it'll be one of those things we buy, then it sits out back and collects dust...

Also, with one of these, it could extend our camping season...

We are looking at a 2017 16BHS WOLF PUP.

I have a like three questions on this... I'll post them here in my intro, but move them if needed...

What do you all consider a fair price for one of these, new, not pre-owned... I've never bought a brand new camper or vehicle for that matter, so I don't know how much margin these things have and how much negotiating room there is...

2nd Question... Could I pull this with a 2005 Chevy Trail Blazer 2wd or a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4dr 2wd??? I'm kinda leery of buying camper and not being able to pull it well... I would not be able to swing a new/bigger truck.

3rd and I think last question for now... The Bunk areas, how big are they ? I mean can adults sleep in them or are they made for little kids??? I could not find much info on the manufactures site in relation to that.

My girl friends daughter, while only 14, is a pretty big girl (almost 6' Tall) and I worry that she might already have outgrown the Bunks if they are really for smaller kids... Also, we like for her to be able to bring a friend along...

Thanks in advance for the info... I'm pretty excited about the possibility of a new Non pop up camper...

NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
smullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #2

Well, we went and looked at them today....

We'll see what the Finance folks say... Supposed to hear back Monday...

Gotta say, I'm nervous about taking on a new payment, but excited to have a much nicer camper than we've had...

NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
smullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smullen View Post
Well, we went and looked at them today....

We'll see what the Finance folks say... Supposed to hear back Monday...

Gotta say, I'm nervous about taking on a new payment, but excited to have a much nicer camper than we've had...
Congrats on your new coming camper. I was told a long time ago that they do not put pockets in coffins, so you can't take it with you.

Good luck and safe travels.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smullen View Post
2nd Question... Could I pull this with a 2005 Chevy Trail Blazer 2wd or a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4dr 2wd??? I'm kinda leery of buying camper and not being able to pull it well... I would not be able to swing a new/bigger truck.
I can't speak to the Dodge, but I pulled a 2014 2104S Mini Lite with a 2008 Trailblazer for a while. They weigh about the same...I came in at about 4500 lbs loaded.

If you go this route....a few must haves.

The Trailblazer doesn't have an external trans cooler as part of it's tow package. Get one. End of discussion. They're cheap and easy to install.

Brake controller if you don't already have one. Trailblazer is fairly light and won't stop that thing very easily without one.

Tires. I ran for about a year with stock tires before I went to XL rated tires on the rear. That let me run at stock pressure when not towing and pump them up to about 45lbs when loaded. The difference was noticeable. Without the stiffer tires the front end felt "loose" even though it was the back end "squirming" a little from tire flex.

Hitch. Get a decent weight distribution hitch (and friction sway bar if the hitch doesn't have built in sway control) in about a 600-800 lb range....and set it up yourself. Don't rely on a dealer to do it correctly...most times they don't.

Tow mirrors. You won't be able to see behind you like the popup and these things are eight feet wide.

Other than that, it pulled fine. Didn't like speeds above about 62 or a lot of long steep hills. And expect about 8 - 9 mpg. That's just a reality, lol.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #5

Looks like a very nice trailer. I have no answers for your questions, but it looks like a pretty reliable dealer anyway. You guys will have lot of fun!

RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote