Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
Lulamom

Question At the Beginning in North Carolina

Hi everyone! We - like everyone else - are just starting on this journey from North Carolina. We are tent campers... first trailer. Not really a forum kind of girl, but I'll give this a go.

We bought our TT because of my husband's work as a travel nurse and will pick it up in about 1.5 weeks before his next assignment. Looked for specific features for a lonnnng time and found it suddenly. Purchased it on the spot as it had literally every feature we were looking for. I've been obsessing over TT knowledge for about 6 months now and still feel ignorant.

So. Many. Questions. Any help is appreciated. I'll start with these.

1. YouTube is our constant companion right now, and we've learned a lot about the basics. Not a question, but any other options are appreciated.

2. We've done the math, and he is purchasing an EAZ LIFT 48058 1000 lbs Elite Kit and wants to know opinions of those who may have used this particular one.

3. Our stays may be atypical as his assignments are for 3 months, including winter. (We went this route so he/we could have his/our own space rather than renting from strangers.) I will definitely be asking about specific places to stay when he is assigned a new spot. We are currently pointed toward Charlottesville, VA. (Realizing that if we don't like a particular parking spot, we can just move our house.

4. I've been combing the internet for an owners manual. Do we need one? If so, where can I find it? (Forest River site has 2015 and new.)

Thanks so much everyone! I've read TONS of threads and comments, and I know how helpful you all are! Looking forward to being a part of this community.
Lulamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #2

Hi LulaMom:
I had to smile when I saw "Horse Shoe, NC" as your location. I actually know where that is; right in the middle of some beautiful country.
My SO, Jackie, and I are about-to-be-newbies, like yourselves. We have a Work and Play 21LT on order which should be ready to pick up at the dealer in Ohio in April about the time we'll be leaving our FLorida quarters to go back to the GA mountains for the summer. My Tundra is there now, and I'll be adding airbag supplements to the rear as well as new brake pads and mirror extensions before rolling north to Ohio to pick up our new prize.
Past experience comes from tent camping which evolved to a home-made 7x12 V-nose box trailer with a flop-out tent bed on one side and awning on the other; dry kitchen in the front and porta-potty in the back. Ramp rear door let us take the Suzuki V-Strom with us everywhere from Oregon to the Great Lakes to Maine, staying on the road for up to two months at a time (and still friends at the end of the trip).
Now that we're approaching 80, we wanted to allow ourselves a little more comfort, and have something in which we could settle down for 1-2 months at a time in a single location. Maybe host a campground somewhere that appeals to us....
You Tube has been a good resource, and so has been entering various search questions on this forum. Still tons to learn, and a lot of that will come from trying things and seeing what works for us. Comments from the seasoned RV-ers always welcome.

Pete Tamblyn
Cleveland, GA
Forest River Work & Play 21LT
motorhead30510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum from Georgia. Lot of knowledgeable folks here to help you with your questions. Most manuals that are available are generic and some things may or may not pertain to your camper. I would suggest going down near bottom of welcome mat and look for forum jump. Click on down arrow and scroll till you see fifth wheels-travel trailers-ultra light thread. click on Flagstaff and post your questions there. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
Always Learning

The owners manuals are usually generic and not super helpful. Read the 2015 and you should get close enough. It's the individual device manuals that matter more.

My family and I have been fulltime for over 4.5 years now. We move pretty regularly at about weekly. But we have quite a few friends who are fulltiming as travel nurses. Nursing Our Travel Bug and Diary of a Family on YouTube are both folks we've met and hung out with. Kingly Expedition is a blog from another (hubby is the travel nurse and they have a few kids). I also have an Instagram acquaintance who is a single female travel nurse. So what you're doing isn't super out there.

When do you get to Charlottesville? Winter still has a firm hold on a lot of the country.

Feel free to ask questions as they come up!
Old 02-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Always Learning

The only other thing I'll say- weigh early and weigh often. With a cargo carrying capacity around 1,400 pounds, you'll find that with fulltiming, it can be a challenge to keep it at/under it.

Here are instructions:
https://learntorv.com/weigh-rv/
Old 02-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #6

Welcome from South Jersey. There are forums for Full Timers which may help with those related questions. This forum is great for problem solving and modifications to make your unit more comfy. A lot of great people on here. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulamom View Post
2. We've done the math, and he is purchasing an EAZ LIFT 48058 1000 lbs Elite Kit and wants to know opinions of those who may have used this particular one. .....
welcome to the forum from more NC'ers, ... We have the very same WDH and are completely happy with it, ... we tow a Micro Lite 25KS now, but have used that same WDH on all three tt's, ...

with that WDH, you may find the "bump tool" helpful, I sure do, ... with the rear view camera it makes hitching a breeze, ... link below(posts 1,14) gives more details, ...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ol-143504.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0679.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	223669   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0683.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	223670  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
Lulamom

So great to not be the only "new kids" on the block! Thanks for taking the time to reply - I can't believe you've heard of Horse Shoe!! Maybe we'll meet up on the road sometime! All the best for your new adventure!
Old 02-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
Lulamom

Thanks for that Aceinspp! We're looking forward to getting to know our new home! I'll look where you suggested.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

Welcome to the forums. If you are missing manuals for some of your appliances you can find them in the Library section of this forum. https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/downloads.php
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #11
Lulamom

I had heard they were relatively useless for specific models. Thanks for confirming that. I guess we'll just figure out what we need to know! One of the reasons we got an older unit was because we knew it would be broken in!

And LOL about winter! We're currently in central Vermont, so not too concerned! It's (obviously) snow covered, and 15º right now in the middle of the day - and we have loved every minute of it. We're really going to miss this place, and plan to come back for another season. If the job comes through, he'll start in Charlottesville March 9th. One of the requirements before we accept is to check out housing options. Now I'm checking out RV parking options. Of course, we'd like to be able to stay in the same place for at least a month, but realize that there may be moving involved.

Full time!!! This has been a dream of mine. I raised and homeschooled 3 boys as a single mom and if I could have figured out how, I would have traveled the country with them in a travel trailer. I'm excited to finally get a taste of it! Thanks for the You Tube recommendations. I've added them to my current addictions, and subscribed to the blog. (Also checked out your site.) At least all this research and testimony has made me less fearful of what we don't know!

Thanks again for all the info!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
Lulamom

Thank you! I'll check out the full timer's forums.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #13
Lulamom

Thank you! So helpful!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #14
Lulamom

This is great!! Thank you!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #15

Welcome from Va. If you end up going to Charlottesville Misty Mountain is a nice campground they are right off I64 at exit 107. Just a few miles from Charlottesville. Walnut Hills in Stewards Draft is also nice but about 30 miles from Charlottesville.
1000 sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #16
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal! The forum(s) are probably the best owner's manual you can get. Just ask specific questions to get specific answers.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #17
Lulamom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 sportsman View Post
Welcome from Va. If you end up going to Charlottesville Misty Mountain is a nice campground they are right off I64 at exit 107. Just a few miles from Charlottesville. Walnut Hills in Stewards Draft is also nice but about 30 miles from Charlottesville.

I definitely am checking that one out! Thanks.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulamom View Post
I had heard they were relatively useless for specific models. Thanks for confirming that. I guess we'll just figure out what we need to know! One of the reasons we got an older unit was because we knew it would be broken in!

And LOL about winter! We're currently in central Vermont, so not too concerned! It's (obviously) snow covered, and 15º right now in the middle of the day - and we have loved every minute of it. We're really going to miss this place, and plan to come back for another season. If the job comes through, he'll start in Charlottesville March 9th. One of the requirements before we accept is to check out housing options. Now I'm checking out RV parking options. Of course, we'd like to be able to stay in the same place for at least a month, but realize that there may be moving involved.

Full time!!! This has been a dream of mine. I raised and homeschooled 3 boys as a single mom and if I could have figured out how, I would have traveled the country with them in a travel trailer. I'm excited to finally get a taste of it! Thanks for the You Tube recommendations. I've added them to my current addictions, and subscribed to the blog. (Also checked out your site.) At least all this research and testimony has made me less fearful of what we don't know!

Thanks again for all the info!
I’m just trying to say that winter in a trailer is a whole different ball of wax than winter in a house/apartment.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #19

Welcome from New Jersey, Congratulations
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:44 AM   #20
Lulamom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I’m just trying to say that winter in a trailer is a whole different ball of wax than winter in a house/apartment.

You make a great point. I have been researching that a bit because I know we still have some winter left. I will take all the advice you have! We thought to upgrade to larger propane tanks and use a couple of space heaters. I don’t know if there is a need for a trailer skirt, but would consider. We will certainly insulate everything we can outside. I’m also checking out the full time and winter camping folks.

This is exactly why we wanted to connect with this community. Much appreciated.