Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Some guy in back...

Back to the fold!

So, after a couple years with an SOB TT, we are back in the fold with a week-end purchase of a 2016 Rockwood 8329SS!

Our trailer before last was a Cedar Creek Silverback bunkhouse, but with the kids grown up and (mostly) moved out, we just did not need the bunks.

The new trailer gives us the space, style and amenities we were looking for in a size and weight we still feel comfortable towing.

We're in the SF Bay area, purchased the trailer 2 hours away in Turlock, CA and will pick it up this Friday and head right on over to a campout in French Camp, CA with our club. It will be a good shakedown and make it easy to take back to the dealer if there are any issues I don't want to fix myself.

I used a stripped-down version of a PDI checklist I wrote (15 years ago to help with our 2nd trailer) this time and found a couple of things that went on the due bill. I'll use the full list when I pick up the trailer Friday.

With 3 slides, LED lighting inside and on the awning(s) and soft-close drawers (to name a few) on this new TT, trailer technology has changed and I need to update the PDI checklist!

I look forward to participating in all topics Forest River!
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

Welcome back from another SF Bay owner who bought out in Turlock, (Best RV, I am guessing) and congrats on the new trailer! Sounds like you're an old hat at RV'ing. I am a newbie and was happy with the PDI until I learned a few things. One is my Equalizer E4 is undersized a little for my rig and it was what Best RV advised. The 2nd was the PDI Tech told me it was OK to leave the table up when towing, NOT!, it slid and banged against the wall causing some scratches. Other than that the TT has been great and I am satisfied with the dealer.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Some guy in back...

Thanks Gectisme!

You are a brave man, starting out towing and RV'ing with a Windjammer!

Glad though that you have furthered your RV education with only a couple scratches & dings. PDI is an exciting and complicated time and it's tough to remember everything, let alone decide if the tech could possibly be correct!

The first time I towed our first TT, a Mallard 33Z, to an RV park (I'd towed a 18' sailboat and a 12' tent trailer before), I turned too sharp going around a decorative planter and took out my entry steps! The planter was undamaged, we still had the rear steps to get in and out and I learned a valuable lesson!

I've not used that hitch before, so I can't comment. Tongue weight can be highly variable from the printed number (which is what the tech/ Best RV folks probably went on) and what your individual TT actually weighs in at.

I'll use my garden variety WD hitch (adjusted for the additional tongue weight) from the SOB TT I am turning in to get to the campout and then a buddy of mine and I will do a switch to a Hensley, which is THE hitch to use IMHO.

Cheers!
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

Congrats on the new TT!
Old 02-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #5

Congratulations on the new unit and welcome from SW Idaho.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new camper. Enjoy Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote