Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #1

Backup cameras wi-fi vs. blue tooth survey

I have a 32 ft 5th wheel and am a relative newbie to RVing. I am getting better at backing and was looking at backup cameras to make it easier to do. My 2019 Sierra 3275DBOK isn't prewired for backup camera so my options are all open. I was looking at license plate camera which appears to be easy to install and power. I tow with a full bed dully and would like to solicit the input of people with license plate cameras if they have the range without a boost. Also while I am still looking I wanted to know based on experience the better of wi-fi or blue tooth links.
gadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

You don't have to be pre-wired for a cam. Most cams can be mounted so they feed off one of the marker lights on the top rear of the RV for power. And you don't want a backup cam, you want an observation cam. Backup cams will not allow you to see behind you in near real time as you drive, they don't refresh often enough.

**welcome to forum, go to User CP and edit your signature so we know what you have eveytime you post.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Yep, mine wasn't pre-wired for a camera either. I just used the upper center marker light to power my rear observation camera.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback and for indicating the difference between the observation and backup cameras. I am not sure what type the license tag camera was but will recheck when browsing.

What about the range and the type of link W-ifi vs Blue Tooth. I am a senior and haven't had anything done to the 5th. Where would one have the camera installed. Most places i.e camping world and Lazydays will not install anything that you don't purchase from them.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

You wouldn't want bluetooth. That transmits maybe 30 feet with no obstructions. I'm not sure what freq my Haloview operates on, but it's not WiFi.

I'd help you do it myself I you were nearby! I'm a DYI guy, so not sure who would be best deal to install. If you have a mechanic you trust with wiring things, I'm sure they could easily do it.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #6
Usually Confused Member

I looked at a few different pictures of the same model you have and they all had a rear camera prep. Pretty sure all FR fifth wheels come standard with the camera mount...and also pretty sure FR doesn't install the camera.

Look closely near and just below the center red clearance light. That little rubber thingy there is the camera mount. If it's there then there should be easily accessible wiring behind it. There are a few aftermarket cameras vendors that have units that are almost plug and play.

Bluetooth is worthless for camera needs on an RV. I have a WiFi setup but it's not the easiest thing to set up...plus if it's a quality camera (1080 HD to better) then you have to have a quality dedicated router. The cost for the entire system, minus monitor, is in the $300 to $500 range. Not familiar with monitors because I use an existing iPad Pro.

2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, that usually happens around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
Old Ram Guy

I agree with NJKris. I also have the Haloview cameras, including the side view cameras. I was not pre-wired and installed them myself in about two hours. Save yourself some money and give it a shot; itís not hard at all.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:50 PM   #8

Thanks for your inputs. Will definitely stay away from Bluetooth. Also seems like most everyone is a DIY, something I can aspire to do.

I will look again to see if there is a camera mount eem-dee. Thanks for checking my model. That would simplify things.

I see Haloview is quite popular and not as steeply priced as the Furion cameras. I was reading in the forum that Haloview provided a Furion adapter.

I do have a Verizon hotspot that is powered off the 12 volt which is the Wifi internet I use at campsite. I am still researching but if there was a camera that could be configured on an external Wifi I could use my rear window and have the camera inside and then use my iPhone to view whilst backing.

Again everyone thanks for your inputs.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadi View Post
Thanks for your inputs. Will definitely stay away from Bluetooth. Also seems like most everyone is a DIY, something I can aspire to do.

I will look again to see if there is a camera mount eem-dee. Thanks for checking my model. That would simplify things.

I see Haloview is quite popular and not as steeply priced as the Furion cameras. I was reading in the forum that Haloview provided a Furion adapter.

I do have a Verizon hotspot that is powered off the 12 volt which is the Wifi internet I use at campsite. I am still researching but if there was a camera that could be configured on an external Wifi I could use my rear window and have the camera inside and then use my iPhone to view whilst backing.

Again everyone thanks for your inputs.
I not positive but I believe you won't need to use any wifi from an outside source like a hotspot. The camera will communicate with the monitor on it's own wifi setup. Similar to a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System).

Good luck and be safe.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #10

Get a wireless IP camera that runs on 12V which is quite common. A good outdoor Foscam, Amcrest, etc. will cost around $50 or so. Hotspot your phone. Set up your IP camera to a fixed address within the phone's IP DHCP range. Use tinycam app to monitor the camera. Requires some networking know-how but it works well once configured.
dmayo32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera