Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

Blessed by an Angel and new NOBO 19.7 Owners!

Good Evening All,

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to say hello and share our story as well as thank those that have helped us out.

Our youngest son was born with a rare genetic disorder called Angelman syndrome.

He was recently selected for a "wish" from the "Make-A-Wish and the wish is to travel to other states and meet other "Angel's."

Once we found out I reached out to Forrest River to see if they would work with Make-A-Wish and help us get into a Travel Trailer, for the journey. I was contacted and informed that they couldn't work directly with us due to they could not sell or provide RV's directly to individuals but if we were to find a dealer that would work with us that they could work with that dealer.

This is where Fun Town RV stepped up and offered to do whatever they needed to help us out. They then offered us the NOBO 19.7 lower than what they purchased it from Forrest River for. They offered to go even lower, depending on what Forrest River could do, on their end.

Unfortunately, that is where we ran into a snag. The gentleman we were working with from Forrest River only worked with the larger RV division and we didn't have a vehicle that would pull a 5th wheel, so they couldn't do anything. However, Fun Town still offered us the great discount and we ended up getting the NOBO anyway.

This summer we will be making a nation-wide trip to visit other families that have children with Angelman syndrome and we will be blogging our trip. The goal is to just raise awareness and to let our son meet other Angels.

We've reached out to other companies to see if they would help us by providing add-on's and/or extra's that would help us, along the trip and we have been VERY blessed for WiFi Ranger is going to provide us a device to help with WiFi signals, RV Lock is providing us a keyless door lock so that we don't have to carry the key with us everywhere.

We have a local company that is providing a wrap for the back of our NOBO to help raise awareness and a reporter who is doing a story on our trip so we are so very excited.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions for us, please feel free to share, for we have never owned an RV before but we are definitely ready.

So far I have done the following things, since we will be living out of the RV for about two months:

1. Put a 12" queen mattress in. However, I had to rebuild the headboard and raise it as well as add padding on it so that our son doesn't hit his head on it. I moved the power plug and added USB ports to it.

2. Added corner and edge padding all around, where needed due to we don't want our son to hit his head anywhere.

3. Added a paper towel rack above the sink.

4. Added a toilet paper holder in the bathroom.

5. Added a solar-powered motion-activated light on the front door. I know that the NOBO has the LED light already but this one will automatically come on if anyone walks up.

6. Will be installing dual propane tank holders instead of just the single tank holder.

I'll add some pictures of some of the add-on's and/or upgrades in a few.
405itsmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405itsmike View Post
Good Evening All,

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to say hello and share our story as well as thank those that have helped us out.

Our youngest son was born with a rare genetic disorder called Angelman syndrome.

He was recently selected for a "wish" from the "Make-A-Wish and the wish is to travel to other states and meet other "Angel's."

Once we found out I reached out to Forrest River to see if they would work with Make-A-Wish and help us get into a Travel Trailer, for the journey. I was contacted and informed that they couldn't work directly with us due to they could not sell or provide RV's directly to individuals but if we were to find a dealer that would work with us that they could work with that dealer.

This is where Fun Town RV stepped up and offered to do whatever they needed to help us out. They then offered us the NOBO 19.7 lower than what they purchased it from Forrest River for. They offered to go even lower, depending on what Forrest River could do, on their end.

Unfortunately, that is where we ran into a snag. The gentleman we were working with from Forrest River only worked with the larger RV division and we didn't have a vehicle that would pull a 5th wheel, so they couldn't do anything. However, Fun Town still offered us the great discount and we ended up getting the NOBO anyway.

This summer we will be making a nation-wide trip to visit other families that have children with Angelman syndrome and we will be blogging our trip. The goal is to just raise awareness and to let our son meet other Angels.

We've reached out to other companies to see if they would help us by providing add-on's and/or extra's that would help us, along the trip and we have been VERY blessed for WiFi Ranger is going to provide us a device to help with WiFi signals, RV Lock is providing us a keyless door lock so that we don't have to carry the key with us everywhere.

We have a local company that is providing a wrap for the back of our NOBO to help raise awareness and a reporter who is doing a story on our trip so we are so very excited.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions for us, please feel free to share, for we have never owned an RV before but we are definitely ready.

So far I have done the following things, since we will be living out of the RV for about two months:

1. Put a 12" queen mattress in. However, I had to rebuild the headboard and raise it as well as add padding on it so that our son doesn't hit his head on it. I moved the power plug and added USB ports to it.

2. Added corner and edge padding all around, where needed due to we don't want our son to hit his head anywhere.

3. Added a paper towel rack above the sink.

4. Added a toilet paper holder in the bathroom.

5. Added a solar-powered motion-activated light on the front door. I know that the NOBO has the LED light already but this one will automatically come on if anyone walks up.

6. Will be installing dual propane tank holders instead of just the single tank holder.

I'll add some pictures of some of the add-on's and/or upgrades in a few.
Few picsClick image for larger version

Name:	20190325182535_IMG_3069-picsay.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	199820Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325182040_IMG_3068-picsay.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	199821Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325182032_IMG_3067-picsay.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	199822Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325182013_IMG_3066-picsay.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	199823Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325181538_IMG_3062-picsay.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	199824Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208171646_IMG_3030-picsay.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	199825
Old 03-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #3

Congratulations on your new tt and welcome to the rv community!

How old is your son and do you have any other children that will be traveling with you?

Tips on how to rv are numberous on YouTube and on this forum. When we started out we visited our local library to check out a book on rving.

It's best to start out by backyard camping or at a local campground so that you can figure out what you need.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Congratulations on your new tt and welcome to the rv community!

How old is your son and do you have any other children that will be traveling with you?

Tips on how to rv are numberous on YouTube and on this forum. When we started out we visited our local library to check out a book on rving.

It's best to start out by backyard camping or at a local campground so that you can figure out what you need.
Thanks! He is six. We have three other boys, two grown and active duty Military. They won't be traveling with us but our 16 yo may be. Thanks for the info on the library.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:43 AM   #5

It does sound exciting and have a great trip!! I love big road trips. I would camp locally a couple of times to get things figured out before heading out on the big trip. I don't know how well your son travels, but be aware that traveling with a trailer in tow takes more time than just in the vehicle. You are limited in speed due to speed rating of the trailer tires and we stop every 2-3 hours to top off the gas tank and bathroom break.... So what should take 6 hours of drive time takes closer to 7 hours. Just something to keep in mind when planning your itinerary.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
It does sound exciting and have a great trip!! I love big road trips. I would camp locally a couple of times to get things figured out before heading out on the big trip. I don't know how well your son travels, but be aware that traveling with a trailer in tow takes more time than just in the vehicle. You are limited in speed due to speed rating of the trailer tires and we stop every 2-3 hours to top off the gas tank and bathroom break.... So what should take 6 hours of drive time takes closer to 7 hours. Just something to keep in mind when planning your itinerary.
Thank you for the tips. Matthew actually travels very well. He LOVES the NOBO and although 99% of Angels can't speak he can say "NOBO," so I can't wait to record it and share.

We are so excited we've slept in it 4x, while it's in our driveway and I'm sure our neighbors think we are crazy. We are just waiting for the HOA to stop by and tell us that RV's are not allowed in our driveway's, but until they do we plan on keeping it there.

We are going to go somewhere this weekend but don't know where yet. Just going to pick someplace close to home to do just as you said, get used to it.

The only other thing we haven't got yet is a generator so we will need to get one. I thought one of the smaller ones would work but the guy at the dealership said we needed to make sure we got one that was 4000 min to start the AC.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

I would be excited to. Good that your son travels well, that makes things a bit easier.

Since you mention getting a genny, are you planning on boondocking?
I only ask because we have not had any problems finding campgrounds with at least power, so we don't own a genny.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I would be excited to. Good that your son travels well, that makes things a bit easier.

Since you mention getting a genny, are you planning on boondocking?
I only ask because we have not had any problems finding campgrounds with at least power, so we don't own a genny.
There are a couple of families that we plan on visiting that live way out in the country, and don't have close RV sites so we may need to boondock a few times. However, I can't see dropping 3-4k for a generator for that. :P
Old 03-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #9

Whether you need a generator or not depends on a few things.

If you are close enough to their house, you may be able to run a heavy duty extension cord and run things like lights and fans. You can run a propane refrigerator a long time on propane. The water heater will use propane quicker.
You probably won't be able to run the a/c though. So a lot depends on the weather.

You can run on the batteries for some time. We tend to use camping lanterns and fans that run on 'c' or 'd' batteries to save the trailer batteries. You need your trailer batteries charged to run the electronic ignition on the refrigerator (even if you're on propane)

It's also possible that if they live in the country, they have a generator that you can borrow.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #10

Maybe rent a genny for the trip. Since you are going to be on private property, it only has to be as quite as you want it to be.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:25 PM   #11
bloodybill

hello and welcome
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODYBILL View Post
hello and welcome
Thank you
Old 03-29-2019, 07:13 AM   #13

Will you ever be camping in south or North Carolina
My family would love to meet your amazing son!
hjsmith008430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #14

Congrats and good to hear that the local dealer was willing to with with you all, sorry to hear that Forest River couldn't do anything on their end. Praying that you have a good safe journey.

East to West Della Terra 25KRB
camperwes413 is offline   Reply With Quote