RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #21
Site Team

Deborah
You made the right choice.
I'm sorry that someone took advantage of you, to make a buck.
now, go camping and put all this stress in your rear view mirror. 😎
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyRN View Post
OK, after a tantrum, tears and such I traded in my Traverse yesterday and now have a Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup!! I'm smart enough to trust the experts, YOU, and as a result did the smart thing in all of this. Didn't even have the car a month but am pleased beyond words with my truck. THANK YOU again for your advise and concern in all of this. Deborah
I hate to have to ask, but I hope you got the RIGHT Silverado.

Not all 1/2 tons are created equal. My 2009 Silverado owners manual listed 99 permutations of the Silverado 1500, depending on engine size, cab size, bed size, 2WD or 4WD, rear axle ratio, etc. The towing capacities ran from only 4000 lbs up to 12000 lbs.

Please find YOUR Silverado in your owners manual and verify your towing capacity exceeds your TT's GVWR of 6719 lbs. Also check the payload sticker in your drivers door and make sure you have enough payload capacity.

Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #23

I think you made a wise choice. The Silverado will be a huge improvement over the Traverse.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #24
Just as confused as you

One thing I have noticed after payload of the TV, the tongue weight rating of factory hitch is the next limiting factor.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:53 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Make sure you have purchased a good Wright distribution hitch with integrated sway control.... equal-I-zer, Reese dual cam, Reese strait line are really good options. Many also like husky centerline. A well set up hitch will make all the difference in the world. Do you have a brake controller in the truck? Just trying to help get you set up.

I know this is all overwhelming. We have all been new to this and learned hard lessons. I am personally on my 3rd vehicle and shopping for my 3rd trailer in 6 years. None of us ever gets it right the first time. I started out with a Nissan armada and a 30' trailer. Combination of having towed horse trailers and listening to common sense on forums, I upgraded to a much safer, happier towing experience. And yes, I have had dealers tell me my Ramada with an 800 lb payload and 9100 lb towing capacity could tow a 32' tt that weighed 9000 lbs dry. I have had a dealer tell me my f250 diesel could tow anything on the lot and refused to believe it only had a 1500 lb payload limiting pin weight of fifth wheels. So you see with time all of this will make sense and you will be helping teach the next class of new campers.

Now, you need to do a very thorough pdi (look in the forum library for a pdi checklist). do not hand over any money until everything has been demonstrated and is in working order to your satisfaction. If something needs repair, do not let them have you being it back under warranty, have them fix it now. Do not go for "we only scheduled x amount of time". It is your money and they do not get it until you are 100% satisfied and happy. Warranty work can take weeks to months off your camping schedule even with a good dealership.

Sign up for the forest river 2nd year warranty for $250 on the vibe. You fill out paperwork and mail it directly to forest river. This is can old copy so you may want to check with Forest river if there is a newer version. You need to nail it within 10 days of purchase! This warranty has been a lifesaver for me and many others on these forums.

Then go camp and have fun!!!!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:44 AM   #26

Welcome to the forums from South Louisiana!
Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyRN View Post
OK, after a tantrum, tears and such I traded in my Traverse yesterday and now have a Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup!! I'm smart enough to trust the experts, YOU, and as a result did the smart thing in all of this. Didn't even have the car a month but am pleased beyond words with my truck. THANK YOU again for your advise and concern in all of this. Deborah
Congratulations on your new truck and camper. I'm sure you'll be happy you bought the truck for your camper. You made the right choice.
Now have you picked out a name for your new truck yet? And what about the Vibe? I read that you like to name your vehicles and wanted a name for your camper also. Good luck!!
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:27 AM   #28

Welcome from Lancaster PA!!

Congrats on the new combo!!

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #29

Welcome from Delaware and sign up for FROG and watch for the FROG rally in Goshen!!!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:48 AM   #30

It will be loads less fun , but I suggest your first camping night should be at the dealers .

There is lots to learn and a bunch of operating manuals to digest,

and the best place to get a reasonable answer to questions is your dealer.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new trailer and Chevy Traverse.
I am afraid bikendan is correct, the chevy SUV is too small to pull the 28' Vibe. To pull it safely, you will need a 1/2 ton truck. What's hubby driving?
Got rid of the Traverse and bought a pickup truck. Thank you
TeddyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #32

Hi deborah, congratulations and welcome! Looking forward to meeting you in alabama
enjoy the vibe
surveying our dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Mentioned previously, but the Forest River Forums is not owned or operated by Forest River. While most all of us are also members of F.R.O.G. (The Forest River Owners Group), THEY are owned AND operated by Forest River.

Membership in that fine organization (FROG) is not mandatory to be a member here, but Rallies and other FROG activities DO require you to be a member there. You will see most FROG activities talked about (and occasionally) complained about here. You will not be able to sign up or attend them unless you are a member there.

Most of us here also have Forest River products, but a few have "some other brand" but just love to hang out here. You are welcome in any case.

I am SO GLAD you were able to be pointed in the right direction regards your tow vehicle. We here your story at least once a month. I would write a pretty poor dealership evaluation if they actually knew what you were planning to tow your camper with.

Again, WELCOME to our home. Make sure you read the posting rules, feel free to ask questions, and learn how to use "search" to find question/answer threads where your questions may have already been answered.

Herk
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog