Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

Brand new to it all from N TX

Hi, we are purchasing our first TT next Saturday (provided my F150 super crew) pulls it fine. It is a Vibe 268RKS.
We are also new to camping as well.

Since we are new and will probably be fairly overwhelmed at the PDI, how much time should I make them spend on it? Or should I just make a service appt for a few weeks out and bring it home and give it a good going over?

I have the checklist that would probably take ~4 hours or so...

Thanks,
Mike
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #2

Welcome to the fun world of camping!!

Take as much time as you need to when going over your trailer.Don't be afraid to point something out or to ask what seem like a "dumb question".. Have your better half with you as a second set of eyes and make sure you are happy with it before you leave..

Good luck and if you find something after, ask here.. There is TONS of knowledge here that will be more than happy to help ya out!

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

Welcome from Minnesota.

Take as long as you need for PDI, that's what your salesman's commission is for.

An F150 properly set up should tow fine. Make sure you get a good WDH with sway control. You'll be towing 7500+ lbs at 32'.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Take as much time as you need, do not be afraid to ask questions. If they get upset that its taking awhile who cares. Bring someone that knows about trailers if you can, they may have questions you didnt think of. Dont just ask how it works have them physically show you, a good tech doesnt mind showing you multiple times. Often times they understand because they do this all the time and understand each person is different.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #5

Welcome from another Texan. Happy Camping!!! Always ask question if you are not sure or just want to no.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:42 AM   #6

Thanks, all. Lot's of information to take in, and I am sure most of it will come after we get it home. They are installing a WDH with sway control. Truck is rated for 7900 lbs and trailer dry is ~6600. Hopefully a good match. It's a 2003 with a 5.4, but only 56k miles so I don't want a new truck!

I don't have a 30 amp outlet at home, only a 20 amp. If I want to plug it in, is that fine as long as I don't turn the AC on?
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Old 04-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #7

You can plug it in to a non 30 amp plug at your house. You can even run your a/c on that plug. You just don't want to pull more amps from the plug than what the breaker on that plug is rated for.

At my house I plug into a 20 amp plug in my garage and I can run the a/c, fridge and lights with out popping the breaker in the house. I just wouldn't recommend everything being on and popping a bag of popcorn...lol
Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post
Hi, we are purchasing our first TT next Saturday (provided my F150 super crew) pulls it fine. It is a Vibe 268RKS.
We are also new to camping as well.

Since we are new and will probably be fairly overwhelmed at the PDI, how much time should I make them spend on it? Or should I just make a service appt for a few weeks out and bring it home and give it a good going over?

I have the checklist that would probably take ~4 hours or so...

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

First, (you may have already done this) Do more than look it over, sit on it, lay on it and pretend you are living in it... step into the shower. Don't just look at it, "do" it. You might find something that you just can't live with.

Here's the deal. RVs are not like automobiles, in that, there is little QC. In fact, you are the QC tech at this point, don't expect anyone has done their job.

You get this one time to be sure its right and this one time to refuse it. Don't buy it until it is right and you know it is. Don't buy it expecting the dealer to fix it later. If its not right be ready to walk away or come back later.

Yes, going through the entire PDI is a pain. But, better a little pain now that a lot later or worse. You have ventured into owning a complicated toy. Its more like your home than a vehicle, but being mobile it is more complicated than your home. It almost demands you become a RV expert... a DIYer and a handyman. You have to become RV smart, search this forum and elsewhere to know how to maintain your new home.

You must be allowed to take your time. Do not rush it and do not be rushed. Wear comfortable clothes and be ready to get dirty if you have to. Leave the kids and dog with sitters so you have no distractions. Eat a good breakfast that day and bring water to drink.

There is just so many things that could be wrong that you don't want to find out about later.

It should be ready for you either inside of a clean place, chocked and leveled. Do not accept it outside in the mud and dirt!

I would probably have them start on the hitch and brake controller install if you are getting those; in the interest of time.

To check everything and every function they must have all the things available that the unit works on and is hooked up to....

...add water into your FW tank (fill it up), so you can test (those things) without city water; a fresh battery to test (those things) without shore power - including slide out - run it in and out a few times while looking for binding; LP gas - again to test those things.

You will them need to connect to city water and shore power to test all those things.

Somethings that come to mind....

After you have taken in the basics and find them acceptable.

Turn on the fridge and get it cooling.

Make sure the WH is filled and will heat water on gas and 115Vac

Put a cup of water in the microwave and make it boil; then put it in the freezer, it should freeze it before your done.

While its doing its thang, check every knob, switch, light, outlet and every feature and function of everything in the unit. Inside and out.

Make sure every burner lights and oven if you have one.

Know how to winterize (obviously not now). Let them show you where the WH bypass valve is. Make sure it isn't in bypass!

Make sure they give you all the parts and pieces you are paying for.

This is probably the wrong time to start accessorizing, give it some thought before buying a lot of stuff for a future garage sales! I wish I had heard that earlier!

However, you will need a good water hose and a good sewer hose. Walmart has them, as well as many other camping supplies such as black tank chemicals.

Know the bearings greased, lugs are at proper torque, tires inflated, lights turn and brake work. And brakes are working, including break-a-way. Know safety features and how to hookup.

When WDH is setup properly your truck and trailer should be level. You also most have a very good sway control.

Don't forget to lower your antenna (you did test it, right?)

Drain the FW and tanks.

Drive slow and get to know the drastically longer vehicle and longer stopping distances.

I won't get into the capabilities of your F-150, but your new home on wheels grosses at about 8300#. We don't think we will do it, but typically most over load them. From experience, this is a whole heap of trailer for a F-150 that might not have all the trailering options. If your camping is in the mountains, you will see what I mean later.

On this forum, there is literally no such thing as a dumb question. Don't let all the "whose got the best truck brand, tire brand and size, hitch setups, and weight" debates deter you, its all in fun... mostly

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Our PDI took over 4+ hours. I had them have the unit set as if we were living in it -- propane filled, fresh water tank filled as well as shore power and water. This was our first TT and we told the dealer we wanted to go over the operation of everything, including switching from shore power to propane/battery. We flushed the toilet, ran the water pump, fired up the water heater on gas and electric, switched the refridgerator from electric to gas, made sure the water heater heated up the water, put the slide in and out, stabilizers, TV, DVD operation, open and close every cabinet and drawer, on and on and on.

The most important thing is making sure your delaer understands you will not sign any papers until you're satisfied with the walk through and all systems are go, and any issues you find will be fixed prior to signing on the dotted line. This is the only leverage buyers have -- the dealer doesn't get their money until you're satisfied. It shouldn't be in a confrontational tone, dbut afterall, it's your $$$ and hapiness.

This isn't a daunting task, but as with any major purchase, best to go into it with "eyes open". Don't be in a hurry, as WolfWhistle points out, better to have the delay now and have it right than find out 1000 miles from home and wish you'd have done a better job looking it over.
You'll have a blast!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #10

Hey again Mike,
I forgot to mention one thing (hard to beleive, right

The one thing you forget to check will be the thing that doesn't work... there's an unwritten law on that.

Have fun and enjoy your now camper.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 04-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Hi Mike,

I won't get into the capabilities of your F-150, but your new home on wheels grosses at about 8300#. We don't think we will do it, but typically most over load them. From experience, this is a whole heap of trailer for a F-150 that might not have all the trailering options. If your camping is in the mountains, you will see what I mean later.
Thanks for the info, I am printing it out!

Can I ask where you come up with the 8300 lbs? If the dry weight is 6700, what factors into the 8300? Water, Propane, accessories, contents we add, etc?

My truck is rated at 7900 lbs per Ford.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #12

Mike... make a notebook, with a page for each item, ie. a page for the stove, a page for the water heater, etc. Leave room for adding notes later. You're spending your hard earned cash for a complicated toy, as someone posted before. This time is not a gift from them, you're paying for it. Make the most of it. My camper is 3 years old, and I've now spent more than 100 nights in it. I still refer to my notebook occasionally. My PDI took 5 hours.

Welcome from a fellow Texan in Weatherford...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

FYI, FR does not have detailed owner's manuals for each specific model of unit they produce. Rather they give a generalized manual with the caviat that your unit may or may not have the identical items (i.e. control panel, thermostat, etc) as stated in the manual. Make sure you get all owner's manuals for all your components (TV, micarowave, stereo, range, etc.).
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 04-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #14

If I have the model you are looking at correct and according to FR website's latest, and eventhough gross weight (GVWR) always TBD, dry weight and cargo capacity adds up to 8265#.

Obviously, you don't have to load it to the max. and you will have to, or you will over load it. Again, if I have to model right.

Here is the link, see if I am right. BTW, actual "built", cargo and gross weights will show on one of the sticker, usually white one, drivers side front. Depending on options, this will be different than what the website shows.

From the link, click specs to see weights.

Vibe Extreme Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 04-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
FYI, FR does not have detailed owner's manuals for each specific model of unit they produce. Rather they give a generalized manual with the caviat that your unit may or may not have the identical items (i.e. control panel, thermostat, etc) as stated in the manual. Make sure you get all owner's manuals for all your components (TV, micarowave, stereo, range, etc.).
X2, OxC. There could be specific appliances you will want to register for warranty with the manufacturer.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

One last item (for now), make sure you ask your dealer about the FR 2nd year extended warranty. Not all dealers will tell you about it. BUT you have to register for it within 30 days of purchase. It may cost you $100 or $150
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 04-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post
Thanks for the info, I am printing it out!

Can I ask where you come up with the 8300 lbs? If the dry weight is 6700, what factors into the 8300? Water, Propane, accessories, contents we add, etc?
the UVW of 6398lbs., is for a stripped-down version of the trailer.
did you read the definitions under the specs:

"UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* – is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.
*Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment."

so any so-called "options" will add to the dry weight, including the things you mentioned above, plus the battery.

the best thing to get a better idea on actual weight, is to look at the yelllow sticker weight of the trailer. that's what it weighed when it left the factory.

it would also help if you posted the specs on your truck.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #18

Excellent point O, mentioning FR second year warranty. A very good value.

I have the application for the second year, but the Vibe is too new for the cost to show, but a very very good value. Every thing that is covered in the first year, is covered in the second.

The "second year warranty" FR rep is a super lady, Rhonda Yoder her email is

rgyoder@forestriverinc.com - phone 574-534-3167

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 04-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #19

WW, I see. Yes that is the correct model and weight.

They are letting me hook it up and tow it before buying, but of course that will be empty, so not a true test. I should make them fill it up with water to add additional weight to simulate contents.

Thanks for the additional info WW and Oxcamper. I will check into that 2nd year warranty.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Old 04-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
it would also help if you posted the specs on your truck.
Truck is a 2003 F150 Lariat crew cab with only 56k miles and why I don't want a different one.
5.4l w/ 3.55 rear end.

Per Ford, 7900 lbs tow rating.

Thanks for all your replies.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel