Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Brand new to this world

Hi there - I'm new to the forum. I would like to purchase a travel trailer and need to learn everything. I figured this would be a start. I look forward to learning. thanks in advance, citygirlcountryheart
citygirlcountryheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

welcome - there is alot to learn and this place will get you thinking. What kind of TT are you looking to get?

We went to RV shows for a number of years, did alot of looking and gave it alot of thought of what we wanted and how we wanted to use it - that dictated our choice (A-frame, Popup, Travel Trailer, 5th wheel, ToyHauler - so many floor plans). We are still very happy with our choice - we are in our 4th year with this camper. We still go to the shows, but we always go away thinking that we really did make the right choice.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find a ton of helpful info here. Probably the best advice I can offer is take your time and really compare the huge number of options out there. We know several people who jumped into a great deal on what they thought was the perfect camper and then after a couple trips realized their new trailer wasn't suited to their needs. And trading a new but now used RV for the "right one" is an expensive proposition.

Looking on the internet will show you a lot, and then find an RV show or a large dealer lot where you can browse different types and sizes of trailers. Then with that overview post your thoughts / questions here and get input from other owners.

You may even find a campground with rental trailers to for a test run. Regardless, camping is like most things - no matter how long you have been at it, you are always learning new things, sometimes the hard way and sometimes by getting good advice on forums like this or from others. Good luck in your search.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. First thing to learn is what your tv (tow vehicle) can SAFELY pull. Next would be what kind of camping you plan on doing, private campgrounds with hook ups or boondocking.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
2011 Forest River Stealth

Welcome from the central coast of California
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
TeresaInCAL

Welcome!

What are you going to be towing with? Helps to know what your limit is.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #7

Thanks Everyone...After reading all you posts I'm excited on what I need to learn. I would be towing on a '09 Sport Highlander but need to check on my towing capacity. I would like something small to start but don't want to feel claustrophobic inside. I'll be doing all the work to so simple is best for now until I learn. As far as camping, not sure yet, I'm looking so I can tag along with some friends with their families. Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to learning :-) have a great day!
citygirlcountryheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirlcountryheart View Post
Thanks Everyone...After reading all you posts I'm excited on what I need to learn. I would be towing on a '09 Sport Highlander but need to check on my towing capacity. I would like something small to start but don't want to feel claustrophobic inside. I'll be doing all the work to so simple is best for now until I learn. As far as camping, not sure yet, I'm looking so I can tag along with some friends with their families. Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to learning :-) have a great day!
See if this helps you figure out what you can tow:
Learn To RV: What Can I Tow?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
TeresaInCAL

According to this 2009 Toyota Highlander you MAY be able to pull about 5000 lbs. , depending on your options. Doesn't mean you can get a 5000 lb trailer. How do you feel about a cute little tent trailer?
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #10

Greetings from Minnesota!

Welcome to the Forum!
RasOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #11

Welcome! I am also new to camping, but am learning very quickly thanks to the amazing folks on this forum. Lots of good advice above. Decide where you would like to go and what you are comfortable hauling and you will be fine! I love, love, love my new little A-frame and wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere! Good luck!
Cyndilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #12

Welcome to the forum from Dawsonville, Georgia!
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote