Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to gfd1441
Buying used camper

Hello - We are looking at a used Forest River 8298BHSS. It is owned by a family member and we know that it hasnt been used much and has had very good care. We have been long time tent campers and owned a pop up camper in the past. We are looking to step up to something that is a little more weather friendly. Does anyone know of any problems with the model we are looking at or what problems to look for before we head out?

I have enjoyed reading post on the site and look forward to any information.

Thanks
gfd1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Hello and welcome! Many of us started in tents, and moved into more comfortable accomodations! (although, I still like tents now and again!)

I don't have any specifics on your trailer model...but a good thorough inspection of everything is a good start.

One of the biggest concerns should be hunting for water damage. Inspect the roof, and all penetrating points to the unit to make sure everything is sealed. (not cracked/peeling/damaged) Roof seams, vents, plumbing stacks, anntenaes, marker lights, that sort of stuff. One tiny unchecked crack can cause more damage than you want to deal with. (mold/rot...and it can be hidden) Use all the systems to see if they work properly, and ask questions.

Also, check to see if the fridge is a Dometic. If so, check to see if it's one affected by the recall. If so, and it hasn't already been fixed...do so. (fire hazard=important!)

If it has smooth siding (fiberglass)...check for trouble. (delamination) There are some having issues with this in several makes.

If you are getting it from family, you probably know if they are keeping up with maintenance. A little preventive and annual maintenance really makes them last.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to gfd1441
Thanks for the advice. We actually went to pick it up today - as he was pulling it out of his driveway he caught the drain pipe for the black and grey water and it broke off behind both valves. We towed it right to the dealer for repair.

It was disappointing however at least I wasnt driving.

I am a little concerned about pulling it with my truck though. He has a 2005 Chevy 2500 that seemed to squat a little when hooked up. I have a 1999 F150 extended cab with a 5.4 litre motor. I am hoping that he just did not have the load bars/sway bars hooked up correctly.

I do not plan on traveling very far with this setup - mostly less than an hour away this year, plan on a new truck for next year.

I enjoy the sight and seeing what everyone is doing. Cant wait to go camping this year.
gfd1441 is offline   Reply With Quote