Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2021, 07:52 PM   #1

Cautiously Optimistic first time buyer

Hello from southern NH!

I just put a deposit down today on a brand new 16BHS wolf pup for my family (husband, 5 yr old, 3 yr old). I’m super excited. We’ve always been tent campers and only camp around us (Acadia and cape cod mostly) so this TT is going to literally open up the map for us! We will still be mostly weekend campers, but hope to have at least two longer road trips a year.

Of course I’m fighting all kinds of worries about the dealership, because it seems like it’s impossible to trust anyone (the trailer is On Order so I still have a long way to go before it’s in my driveway, and they already don’t seem very communicative. And even once I have it, I keep reading all these horror stories about First Year Warranty Issues and protracted battles with your dealership, etc.)

But I’m telling myself that these kind of transactions *usually* suck. So why stress about it? One way or another, I’m going to be camping in an RV this summer. So I may as well just be excited and start planning some trips 🥳🥳

NICE TO MEET YOU ALL!!!
& HAPPY 2021!!
BibelRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #2

Happy new year!! And congratulations on the order!! I wouldn’t stress to much over it, keep up on just maintenance and ask lots of questions if you are unsure of anything. Lots of knowledge and advice and issues that a lot of folks here have seen and corrected. So just plan your trips and enjoy the new trailer!
fishwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #3

Welcome from New Jersey! We are on our third camper (second time purchased new) and have never had any issues with the dealer. They’ve been great! Although, you do need to be fairly handy, these things are just like a house.

Good luck on your new camper, and don’t hesitate to ask questions. There is a lot of knowledge here!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibelRanch View Post
But I’m telling myself that these kind of transactions *usually* suck. So why stress about it? One way or another, I’m going to be camping in an RV this summer. So I may as well just be excited and start planning some trips 🥳🥳
Congratulations on joining the rv community.
These transactions don't have to be painful. You need to treat this as a large purchase similar to buying a house or renting an apartment. You need to make certain that everything works and is fixed prior to you signing the final papers. (referred to as a PDI or predelivery inspection). Be prepared to walk away and come back when the repairs have been done. The people who fall in love with the trailer and don't treat it as a business transaction are more prone to not inspect it properly or accept the dealers assurance that everything will be fixed after you take delivery are usually disappointed. After you sign the papers, you're shuffled off to the warranty department which can be a nightmare.
Go ahead and plan your trips. Camping is a lot of fun. Just prepare for the unexpected.
Happy New Year to you too!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:32 PM   #5

Welcome from Virginia.......

You always hear the bad or the people with issues. You rarely hear from those with few or no issues. The good far out weigh the bad.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #6

I agree. People with bad experiences and complaints have to vent. Folks with no problems just enjoy the experience and don't have much to say.
We made our purchase last spring knowing nothing about travel trailers or Pre-Delivery Inspections. We did a quick tour, saw the furnace worked, awning worked, and were on our way. It was cold, and the unit was still winterized. No water was run, no pump. We didn't even know where the pump was, or the water heater bypass valves, when we took it home. Certainly not the way to purchase.
But we've had no problems, haven't had to even call the dealer for anything. We've been enjoying our trailer for several trips before freezing weather. It's been great!
We were previously tent campers also. You'll love it!
You already have an advantage over us, in that you're here now finding out what to look for when you take delivery. I didn't start reading the wealth of information on this forum until after we bought one.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and the world of RVing congrats on your upcoming purchase of a new camper. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your upcoming purchase!Enjoy!
Old 01-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #9
Pop-up refugee

Don't worry about the dealership not being communicative- they don't have anything to communicate yet. They'll have a projected buid date, but that's not worth much this far out. Just relax. When they have info, they'll let you know.

When it does get here, you'll love it.
Relaxin in the woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Welcome from Virginia.......

You always hear the bad or the people with issues. You rarely hear from those with few or no issues. The good far out weigh the bad.

Another welcome from Virginia here.

What Oaklevel said is so very true.

I general, people will very rarely take the time to give praise for a job well done or a product they are happy with. It’s really quite sad, but people seem to get joy from sharing and exaggerating their bad experiences while trying their hardest to damage the reputation of whoever it is they are attempting to defame.

For every “horror story” you read or hear about something, there are usually an innumerable amount of unreported “success stories” from happy customers with the same service or product that far outweigh those from the soured and vengeful customers.

Reading reviews is a good thing, but you really need to consider how many good reviews have not been reported.

Bruce
Old 01-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #11
Site Team

While you wait learn all you can and it will make the experience much better. There is a lot of great information in the library section of the forum ( green bar at top of home page). Additional questions can be answered by members here. When the TT is finally ready for delivery, make the transaction a business deal and not an emotional purchase. Then go and camp and enjoy it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #12

Use a PDI list from this forum, and don't sign for the unit before the dealership fixes everything you find wrong.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #13

Get ready for the PDI. Get one off the site.

Cross out stuff that does not apply. You need two copies and two clipboards. Study up. Ask questions. Spare tire?

Purchase the adapters and hoses you need.

Study up on batteries. Your tow vehicle.

When you get the rv, plan a weekend close by. Plan on eating and drinking like royalty. Take tools. As you are close to home you can obtain tools as necessary. Take fuses. Voltmeter. Locate the nearest Walmart and Ace Hardware.

Explore the rv.

The vast majority of folks have no serious issues. We would just repair any issue less than $200, no question. You have to be handy.

On our first trip it rained much of the week of our first trip. A good thing. We had lots of stuff to figure out.

Ask questions here!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time