Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #1

Colorado Springs here

Greetings everyone,
We are entering into a new journey by purchasing a travel trailer. I had one back in 1983, so it has been a while.

Signing papers on a 2020 Salem FSX Platinum 187 BHS tomorrow.

Living in beautiful Colorado, the trailer will be sitting for the next few months before we get to use it.

That gives me time to gather the "stuff" I need and gain some knowledge from you all.

One trip on the books is to Ouray Colorado, July 19, 2020. KOA site already reserved.

There should be another trip to Beuna Vista, Colorado Labor Day weekend.

Before and after those.... who knows.
Desert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
That gives me time to gather the "stuff" I need and gain some knowledge from you all.
The stuff you NEED is a shorter list than the stuff you SHOULD have which is a far cry shorter than the stuff you may WANT.

See if this gives you a start for NEEDs and SHOULD HAVEs:
https://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/
Old 11-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new purchase of a TT. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #4

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your 2020 Salem FSX Platinum 187 TT !
Old 11-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

Take a weekend trip to a nearby campground, and just take the time to set up everything and see how everything works. Assume 2 things: 1. You'll make a few stupid mistakes, and 2. There will be a few things in your brand new RV that don't work or are broken (even though they worked when you did the walk through at the dealer).
That way, your Big First Trip Out won't be a disappointment when something doesn't work.
jdebevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
Scoundrel

Welcome! You're very fortunate to have so many beautiful places to visit close to the Springs (I'm from Salida). From Lake Isabel campground in La Vista, CO, Ridgeway State Park in Ridgeway, Castle Lakes campground in Lake City to Steamboat Lake Campground, you'll have many opportunities to enjoy your new travel trailer!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
Old 11-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #8

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:55 PM   #9

Welcome from Brighton, CO. There are so many amazing places to go in Colorado....and easy day trips to Utah, New Mexico, South Dakota. No better place in the country to launch from.

I agree with the previous poster that you take a short distance from home "shake down" trip first...and there is nothing better than making friends with another experienced RV'er to give you some tips on the basic things to get like water hookup adapters, water pressure regulator, water filter, sewer hose extensions & connection adapters, etc.

Mountaindale RV Park just south of you on 115 near Penrose, CO is a beautiful park...meticulously maintained, nice and close for a first time shake down trip...and some great people on staff to chat with.

Have a great time with your new RV!

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMarty View Post
Welcome from Brighton, CO. There are so many amazing places to go in Colorado....and easy day trips to Utah, New Mexico, South Dakota. No better place in the country to launch from.

I agree with the previous poster that you take a short distance from home "shake down" trip first...and there is nothing better than making friends with another experienced RV'er to give you some tips on the basic things to get like water hookup adapters, water pressure regulator, water filter, sewer hose extensions & connection adapters, etc.

Mountaindale RV Park just south of you on 115 near Penrose, CO is a beautiful park...meticulously maintained, nice and close for a first time shake down trip...and some great people on staff to chat with.

Have a great time with your new RV!
Mountaindale was the place where we did a shakedown trip with our very first camper... what a coincidence that you would mention it!
I tried to act like I knew what I was doing, but we had some very helpful neighbors. We didn't become experts overnight, but we had fun and learned a lot. And I saved some of my stupidest mistakes for future trips!
jdebevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #11

Welcome to the form and greetings from Central NC
Old 11-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #12

Picked it up yesterday and brought it to storage. Plenty of time to get things ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	219780  
Old 11-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #13

In 2018 our first trip to Colorado we stayed at Cheyenne mountain in Colorado Springs. Nice place.

We discovered the need for planning ahead. But, managed to stay there almost a week moving every day. Or two.

Reserve a weekend there in May and get, orientated! Camping world is nearby for the got to have.

Do not make the first trip a big one! We went for a week about 250 miles.

I really needed a subwoofer! Well not really.

Had to visit Walmart day one. No fuses. No square drive screwdriver(Lowe’s). Had enough gin, Roses lime and ice. Several bottles of wine for the DW. Went to bed early.

Week one. Tore a door off of a cabinet with the slide. Back to Ace hardware for clamps and glue. And bungee cords, a necessity. Ace hardware in a small town is your friend. There several times.

Have a simple first night meal. We like chicken strips and frozen French fries. One pan for the oven. Measure, they are small. Two paper plates.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
In 2018 our first trip to Colorado we stayed at Cheyenne mountain in Colorado Springs. Nice place.

We discovered the need for planning ahead. But, managed to stay there almost a week moving every day. Or two.

Reserve a weekend there in May and get, orientated! Camping world is nearby for the got to have.

Do not make the first trip a big one! We went for a week about 250 miles.

I really needed a subwoofer! Well not really.

Had to visit Walmart day one. No fuses. No square drive screwdriver(Lowe’s). Had enough gin, Roses lime and ice. Several bottles of wine for the DW. Went to bed early.

Week one. Tore a door off of a cabinet with the slide. Back to Ace hardware for clamps and glue. And bungee cords, a necessity. Ace hardware in a small town is your friend. There several times.

Have a simple first night meal. We like chicken strips and frozen French fries. One pan for the oven. Measure, they are small. Two paper plates.
The first big trip will be July 19 to Ouray, Colorado for the FJ Summit. There will be several smaller journeys before that. Research and planning are key and I am doing that. It took me a year of planning/ research and about 3 months of searching before making the purchase. I am not one to jump into things blindly, at least not anymore. Those lessons were hard learned and very expensive.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #15

We searched for an rv for several years.

I was surprised how difficult the decision was. There are so many choices.

There were so many potential mistakes to be made.

Our only mistake was our unit was discontinued several weeks after we ordered it. Likely resale value not as good.

Good thing it is near perfect for us. I dislike not having a coat closet near the entrance!

Wife hates the sofa she never sits on.

Otherwise, we are good.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #16

You will love ouray. We stayed at the koa for a week. Should be able to take your TV off roading as well. Corkscrew gulch and mi ers pass etc. If you don't want to tear up your TV they rent jeeps at the campground.

As far as what you need...wheel chocks, water hose, power cord, sewer line, likely a weight distribution hitch hopefully with sway control, level and some boards or lynx levelers,

Suggested water pressure regulator, TPMS, EMS or Autoformer, grill of your choice, some extra fuses, some camping chairs, beer, wheel covers for storage, to name a few.

I suggest camping in the driveway a night. Anything you go inside for keep in the trailer and buy new for the house. Take a shower and get ready in the trailer so you truly know what you are missing.

Happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
You will love ouray. We stayed at the koa for a week. Should be able to take your TV off roading as well. Corkscrew gulch and mi ers pass etc. If you don't want to tear up your TV they rent jeeps at the campground.

As far as what you need...wheel chocks, water hose, power cord, sewer line, likely a weight distribution hitch hopefully with sway control, level and some boards or lynx levelers,

Suggested water pressure regulator, TPMS, EMS or Autoformer, grill of your choice, some extra fuses, some camping chairs, beer, wheel covers for storage, to name a few.

I suggest camping in the driveway a night. Anything you go inside for keep in the trailer and buy new for the house. Take a shower and get ready in the trailer so you truly know what you are missing.

Happy camping!
Thans,
I go to Ouray every year for the past 8 years, always stayed at the KOA. Tent for a couple of years, then cabin, next year the TT.

I drive a FJ Cruiser that is built for offroad. Been on every trial there. Imogene Pass is my favorite.