Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Thumbs down Contemplating New from NY

We have shopped RVs for a few months...... we have zeroed in on new 2013 Georgetown XL 352, negotiating price....... we have never owned anything in this area before....... looking for advice, words of wisdom etc. Need to act on this motorhome asap...
jodylynnvip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

My best advice.... Make SURE that you are very comfortable with the dealer. Unless you are very good at repairs, adjustments, "tweaks", and modifications, you will be dependent on your dealer to do these. Don't just listen to what the dealer tells you about themselves! Ask about the rep of the dealer(s) that you are considering on this forum. You will get both the good and the bad from the folks here.

In general, Georgetown carries a great reputation, so, overall, it's a good choice of mfgr.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
My best advice.... Make SURE that you are very comfortable with the dealer. Unless you are very good at repairs, adjustments, "tweaks", and modifications, you will be dependent on your dealer to do these. Don't just listen to what the dealer tells you about themselves! Ask about the rep of the dealer(s) that you are considering on this forum. You will get both the good and the bad from the folks here.

In general, Georgetown carries a great reputation, so, overall, it's a good choice of mfgr.
X2 - don't know your reason for having to act on this purchase ASAP, but don't rush into buying any RV if you can help it. These things are probably the second biggest purchase the average person makes besides a house.

And I will say from personal experience that selling your RV is not that easy and you're almost sure to take a beating if you sell it too soon after purchase.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #4

We actually aren't rushing, been shopping these for awhile - went from Thor Hurricane that we felt lacked in quality to Fleetwood Bounder to the 2013 Georgetown XL 352, seems to have everything we feel we want, because its the only one around and is a leftover we want to make a decision, we feel the price is very fair, just seeing what everyone had to say about the manufacturer/model that we may be overlooking. Good point on the dealership... Anyone have anything to say about Buffalo RV?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #5

Buffalo RV is affiliated with Albany RV (where I've purchased two units, including my sig Rockwood unit). They are also RV One, which is an internet/phone based sales company. I can live with Albany RV's slow service, because my warranty is up, and most repairs I make myself. You will likely find both good and bad on this forum on this dealership, though most of their BIG volume is in Jayco, so asking the same question on RV.net may yield more responses.

2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Buffalo RV is affiliated with Albany RV (where I've purchased two units, including my sig Rockwood unit). They are also RV One, which is an internet/phone based sales company. I can live with Albany RV's slow service, because my warranty is up, and most repairs I make myself. You will likely find both good and bad on this forum on this dealership, though most of their BIG volume is in Jayco, so asking the same question on RV.net may yield more responses.
Interesting on the affiliation between the Albany and Buffalo dealerships.

Brings up a off topic question, but since the both of you live in upstate NY, are there any RV dealers in the Rochester area?

Just curious.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #7

Thank you for the input, that's what we have heard around here as well. We live in Batavia so can go to them or Camping World, or Wilkins RV (Rochester)
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #8

Wilkins is a big name in the Rochester area. The dealer that I bought the unit between my two Alb RV units is also in that general area.... Johnstone RV, in Palmyra. They had a hybrid Jayco floorplan in stock that Alb RV couldn't (or wouldn't) find for me a number of years ago.

2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #9

BTW - If you Google their website, Alb RV & Buffalo RV are also affiliated with DesMoines RV and Orlando RV, so they've got quite an extensive network....

2022 Ford Ranger toad
Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Wilkins is a big name in the Rochester area. The dealer that I bought the unit between my two Alb RV units is also in that general area.... Johnstone RV, in Palmyra. They had a hybrid Jayco floorplan in stock that Alb RV couldn't (or wouldn't) find for me a number of years ago.
Thanks to both of you for this information - being from Henrietta a long time ago, I was just curious.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodylynnvip View Post
Thank you for the input, that's what we have heard around here as well. We live in Batavia so can go to them or Camping World, or Wilkins RV (Rochester)
Although with that being said the Georgetown is not at Camping World and Wilkins only had one (not the model we like)
Old 08-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

Thanks to both of you for this information - being from Henrietta a long time ago, I was just curious.
Do you hear better things about Wilkins?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
Roger and Paula

JMHO, never buy new. You have a huge depreciation as soon as it is off the lot. A well-maintained unit that someone had buyer's remorse over a couple of years after purchase is a good buy.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodylynnvip View Post
Do you hear better things about Wilkins?
Until just hearing about them here, I didn't even know they existed. I was just curious.

BTW - there's a FRF member who lives in Churchville that might have some experience with Wilkins.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstrahan View Post
JMHO, never buy new. You have a huge depreciation as soon as it is off the lot. A well-maintained unit that someone had buyer's remorse over a couple of years after purchase is a good buy.
I have been told that, but when calculating it out the new one isn't that much more than the used one.... IF you can find a newer used model that's the same floorplan