Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Dazed and Confused

I am going to retire in a couple of years. My wife is a little younger than me and she will probably work another 5 years. Our eventual goal is to RV with my brother and sister in laws.
We started thinking about this in 2014. I joined a few RV forums and the overwhelming opinion was that we would hate each other, after 2 weeks if we tried to share a Class A. So I tossed that idea aside.
So I am just doing research. I have been all over the place: Class A, B,C, toy-hauler, TT.

I’m joining this forum because I saw the Flagstaff EPro. Looks like an easy way to try RVing. We like to kayak, and ride bicycles, so it would be handy.

I’m looking forward to learning from experienced RVers.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #2

We have an E-Pro 19FBS we bought new in March of 2018. We are very pleased with the trailer; it's got all the comforts we wanted but it's still small and easy to manage.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
the overwhelming opinion was that we would hate each other, after 2 weeks if we tried to share a Class A
Interestingly, according to the Escapees RV census, class A are the most popular type of RV.

People RV happily in all types of rigs. As a couple, as families, and whatnot. My family of 4 fulltimes in our fifth wheel toy hauler; I have friends in every size and type of RV with families from 1 kid to 8 (plus pets!).

I personally would have a harder time RVing in the EPro as it's only 1 room + bathroom. When I need some alone/recharge time, it's nice to be able to leave the room where the rest of the family is and go into a separate room.

But if you like it and can see yourself in it- my opinion doesn't matter.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
RV There Yet?

Take a look at something like a 17RP, 19RR, or similar. very inexpensive to get started with. we have the 17RP and it fits bikes or anything else we want to haul. plus, toy haulers seem to really hold their value well. we bought new because it was so close to a 4 year old model price.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #5

I remember dazed and confused!

There is simply too many choices.

Took a year to decide on a fiver. Took one and a half to find the right fifth wheel

Be patient. Always remember that salesmen are a step below used car salesmen. Finding honest is tough.

Get educated. Define needs and wants.

This is a good place for knowledge. Very good.

We intentionally bought a couples fiver. Definition, room for 6 for drinks, four for dinner and TWO for bed.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
I remember dazed and confused!

There is simply too many choices.

Took a year to decide on a fiver. Took one and a half to find the right fifth wheel

Be patient. Always remember that salesmen are a step below used car salesmen. Finding honest is tough.

Get educated. Define needs and wants.

This is a good place for knowledge. Very good.

We intentionally bought a couples fiver. Definition, room for 6 for drinks, four for dinner and TWO for bed.

I agree whole heartedly! Buy for your needs now and future (unless you plan on upgrading as your passion changes).

Answer these questions;

1 - What are your plans for the future?
- Weekend getaways?
- Extended trips?
- 1 month or longer trips?
- Fulltiming?

2 - Do you want to drive the RV & possibly tow another vehicle to get around when the RV is parked?

3 - Are you comfortable towing the RV & how heavy are you comfortable towing keeping in mind your current (or lack of) tow vehicle?

4 - And as you mentioned.....what do you plan on bringing with you recreation wise?

Make a list of pros & cons for each class of RV and then narrow it down to the style and floorplan that fits your needs for whatever current and/or future plan you decide on.

We found that the more time we spent together (especially when we decided to go full time), the bigger the RV needed to be. Both for comfort & livability (including storage capacity for full timing).

Your needs are personal and you will have fun researching all the possibilities & becoming even more dazed & confused.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Multi-Slacker

Start with why you want to camp. Do you roam & sightsee, or got to a quiet place and zone out, or in your stated case, you want to ride bikes and go kayaking. Carrying kayaks & bikes may influence your choice.

IMO, A Class A + kayaks mean a toad. I tend to think of Class C as being too light for a heavily loaded toad. A truck with appropriate racks makes carrying such gear easy as do toy haulers. Whatever you get, if you are going to have lots of people around, make sure that the floorplan is such that people can get to the bathroom and refrigerator without disturbing the cook.

You can make almost anything work for you. Just make sure that you stay within limits. If you are going to tow, know how much truck you need. If you go MH, know how much they can realistically tow. Start with an assumption that you want a specific unit. Then game out how you are going to use it and live in it. When you think you have a solution, ask about it here. You will get a lot of opinions, most of which will not apply. You may, however, get advise from folks using the same gear and doing the same things.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
D W

Can't comment on what type of rig you should get. Only you and your wife know your wants, needs and goals.

As for RVing with extended family I'm reminded of a saying my dearly departed Mother use to say, "You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your relatives".

Enough said.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #9

Dazed

At the end of the day, when it comes to everything camping only one opinion matters; your wife's. Let her drive budget, class of RV, and amenities. I would almost stay in a tent, but if I want my wife to be the first in the truck when it is time to go; she has to be totally on board.

Almost all the people who say, "We are going to sell our RV because we didn't use it as much as we thought we would" is code for, "I talked my wife into one she really didn't like cause it was four thousand cheaper than the one she loved, and has decided it takes her four days to load for a two day trip;done with it."

As an almost retired guy too...if you buy a pup-tent RV...go ahead and get you a for sale sign...you will be needing it. Just another husband's advice.
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #10

I am also a kayaker and a road cyclist. My next RV is likely to be a toy hauler to more easily bring along the bikes and kayaks for the trip. These items aren't heavy but they take up space. I've carried my Trek Domane both in my truck bed and inside the trailer. Putting it in the trailer takes time to make sure the bike won't roll or fall and do damage to cabinets while on the road (or worse, damage the bike!) I've looked at racks that attach to the trailer's rear wall to carry kayaks but it seems an awkward solution for my 12-foot kayak.

I like my current trailer for what it provides (a good-sized bathroom and bedroom, a comfortable living area etc.) -- but having those qualities with inside storage for "toys" would be a bonus.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #11
bloodybill

welcome to the forum
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #12

I think Go_West has a good point. If you want to carry your toys (bikes and kayaks), a toy hauler is more likely to fit your needs. Some of them even have garages that can be converted to a bedroom at night and have a second bathroom ( a plus if you're going to be traveling with another couple.)

Personally, I wouldn't buy a rig until you're closer to traveling. Things change both personally and the type of rvs available. Fun to look though.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #13

We found a 2015 Wildwood 241QBXL (24 foot). A tad larger that I wanted, but I really like that the bedroom is separate from the rest of the living space.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Can't comment on what type of rig you should get. Only you and your wife know your wants, needs and goals.

As for RVing with extended family I'm reminded of a saying my dearly departed Mother use to say, "You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your relatives".

Enough said.
My mother always told me..."You can pick your friends, You can pick your nose. But you CAN'T pick your friends nose."
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
I am going to retire in a couple of years. My wife is a little younger than me and she will probably work another 5 years. Our eventual goal is to RV with my brother and sister in laws.
We started thinking about this in 2014. I joined a few RV forums and the overwhelming opinion was that we would hate each other, after 2 weeks if we tried to share a Class A. So I tossed that idea aside.
So I am just doing research. I have been all over the place: Class A, B,C, toy-hauler, TT.

I’m joining this forum because I saw the Flagstaff EPro. Looks like an easy way to try RVing. We like to kayak, and ride bicycles, so it would be handy.

I’m looking forward to learning from experienced RVers.
RV's are designed for two adults and maybe a dog or cat not 4 to 6 adults no matter how large an RV you get
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #16

We have a 32ft class c. We've traveled with 4 adults and 2 children, for 2 weeks at a time. It works, as long as you don't spend the whole day sitting inside the RV. When we go, we all share the load, and I make sure to teach all the adults how to operate everything, in case of emergency.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #17

I might add...

Take one room in the house and y'all both stay in that room the majority of the free time. If you can do that for a few weeks you will be O.K. IMO
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I might add...

Take one room in the house and y'all both stay in that room the majority of the free time. If you can do that for a few weeks you will be O.K. IMO
would that be the kitchen, bathroom, or bedroom?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #19

Back to motorhomes

My wife just informed me she would prefer a motorhome. That’s code for “We are getting a motorhome.”

I really like a lot of the features of the E pro. The Azdel walls, aluminum frame, interlocking floor panels, arched roof, bike and kayak racks, solar panel, extensive LED lights. Does FR make a motorhome with similar features?
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
My wife just informed me she would prefer a motorhome. That’s code for “We are getting a motorhome.”

I really like a lot of the features of the E pro. The Azdel walls, aluminum frame, interlocking floor panels, arched roof, bike and kayak racks, solar panel, extensive LED lights. Does FR make a motorhome with similar features?
Nope. Some of those maybe but not with bike/kayak racks. Those are aftermarket. Don't know of any with Azdel walls.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse

« Fr 3010 ds | Newbie »