Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
Anti-expert

Dropped our cherry pie

Or something close to that. Took delivery of our new 2022 Wolf Pup 16BHS Limited a week ago so 2 days later, after gathering the absolute essentials we took off for a long 4 day weekend to see what's what. Overall we were very well prepared for a couple first timers with 5 dogs. Teamwork was solid which made the challenges and mistakes fairly easy to overcome.

Weather during the days was excellent however it rained every night and we had a pretty good storm the last night. Welcome to the Black Hills of South Dakota. The idea was to gain experience and practice the basics leading us to move campgrounds after the first 2 nights in Deadwood to a stunning Ranch outside of Hill City. The move gave us invaluable tuning of our setup and breakdown processes and learning how to manage the 5 kids in different scenarios.

As mentioned before, we made some mistakes (big ones) and learned from each one. A small bit of over packing and missing items but nothing substantial. Setting the trailer brake too low for a downhill highway stoplight was a big learning experience that was dealt with immediately. Not reconnecting the 7 pin on our transition day was just stupid so I plan to leave the line drapped over the tongue instead of popped into the holding receptacle on stays where we disconnect. Spending waaaay too much time untangling 4 dogs needs a solution fast or I risk anger management classes. Thank gawd for Bob, my service dog, not needing a secured lead or I'd have had a meltdown. Gotta find a way not to forget to stow the steps before locking the door too.

We discovered a few important things to add to the mix, most already on our short list, some moved forward such as a quiet and compact Champion 200990 IR 4500w generator we picked up on the way home. We dug full hookup sites but we are more interested in boondocking and most everything in the region is closing up for the season in the next few weeks. It was also cool to come home to several Amazon boxes full of gear and toys that will make things better. We also got tons of advice from fellow RVers and took tons of notes making subsequent trips far easier.

Please pardon the picture rotation. I can't seem to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210912_130843.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	262852   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210912_085143.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	262853   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210912_085056.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	262854   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210913_171220.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	262855   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210913_173424.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	262856  

Cactuscorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #2

Well thought out plan and execution!

Check your truck's tow outlet. Some trucks leave it hot all the time which can kill your starting battery when dry camping; others are isolated with relays.

Trailer brakes wear in as the pads adjust to the drums. They need to be physically adjusted a few times. Only so much the brake controller can do if the pads don't make good contact with the drums. As you note it's a good idea to connect the brakes to the truck.

Don't worry about forgetting something, there's at least one Walmart in every county in the US and Canada. Better prices than some RV stores.

I assume you verified cold tire pressure -- that's vital. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you checked the trailer's wheel lug nut torque (with a torque wrench). These loosen on the road the first several hundred miles. I recall the majority of mine were loose when I picked it up new at the dealer who wondered why I was checking them.... They were loose again after a couple hours on the road. Takes several tightenings. I lost lug nuts on a 24' sailboat trailer; avoided calamity but the lesson is still vivid.

-- Chuck
Old 09-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Well thought out plan and execution!

Check your truck's tow outlet. Some trucks leave it hot all the time which can kill your starting battery when dry camping; others are isolated with relays.

Trailer brakes wear in as the pads adjust to the drums. They need to be physically adjusted a few times. Only so much the brake controller can do if the pads don't make good contact with the drums. As you note it's a good idea to connect the brakes to the truck.

Don't worry about forgetting something, there's at least one Walmart in every county in the US and Canada. Better prices than some RV stores.

I assume you verified cold tire pressure -- that's vital. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you checked the trailer's wheel lug nut torque (with a torque wrench). These loosen on the road the first several hundred miles. I recall the majority of mine were loose when I picked it up new at the dealer who wondered why I was checking them.... They were loose again after a couple hours on the road. Takes several tightenings. I lost lug nuts on a 24' sailboat trailer; avoided calamity but the lesson is still vivid.

-- Chuck
Agreed on the lugnuts, as i have been in a situation where all of them came off, destroyed the lugs, shucked the tire and rim off into the ditch all whilst doing 65mph... and that at 3am too... found the rim and found that our nice aluminum rim was now ceacked and no longer useable from the impact of the hub landing on the rim... this was a boat trailer, not a camper, but the lesson is the same... veeify the lugs are tightened to the correct spec...
Old 09-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
Anti-expert

Thank you gentlemen. I did verify cold tire psi but did not check lug torque. Will do so immediately. My 7 pin is indeed hot constantly but I do disconnect it at camp. I certainly appreciate the tips.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #5

One habit I've formed. On leaving any site, I pull the trailer completely off the site and stop at the side of the road. Then I get out and do a walk-around on both the site and my trailer. So far, I haven't left anything and I have noted a couple of issues that would have turned into problems driving down the road. Only takes a minute or two...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:33 PM   #6
Anti-expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
One habit I've formed. On leaving any site, I pull the trailer completely off the site and stop at the side of the road. Then I get out and do a walk-around on both the site and my trailer. So far, I haven't left anything and I have noted a couple of issues that would have turned into problems driving down the road. Only takes a minute or two...
Excellent idea. Thank you
Old 09-17-2021, 09:57 PM   #7

Make a checklist regarding your hookup to tow and make it mandatory to check every item every time, even when you are "sure" you've done everything. My wife makes certain we run the checklist each time.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
Anti-expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Make a checklist regarding your hookup to tow and make it mandatory to check every item every time, even when you are "sure" you've done everything. My wife makes certain we run the checklist each time.
Made some hand written ones I was converting to Word then lost all of it last night. Installed my vent cover instead. I'll reattack it later today. We've been double checking each other every time as you suggest. Thanks man
Old 09-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscorn View Post

Please pardon the picture rotation. I can't seem to fix it.

I fixed them.

Sometimes, I sit and wonder about what actually happened to all those people I gave directions to.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #10

Nice to meet you! I have a wolf pup 16TS and 3 fuzzy children. Two under 20 lbs and one about 50lbs (she doesn't weigh that much because she is tall..hahah). I am going to go on my first trip this weekend and a little worried about where the dogs will hang out. I had a quite larger Motorhome in the past so this wasn't a worry. I was thinking that I would put down the table bed and let them hang out mostly there. My larger dog is a lab and sheds like crazy so she usually isn't even allowed on the bed at home.
Anyway, any hints or tips that you have for your dogs on the trip?
pnkdmnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkdmnd View Post
Nice to meet you! I have a wolf pup 16TS and 3 fuzzy children. Two under 20 lbs and one about 50lbs (she doesn't weigh that much because she is tall..hahah). I am going to go on my first trip this weekend and a little worried about where the dogs will hang out. I had a quite larger Motorhome in the past so this wasn't a worry. I was thinking that I would put down the table bed and let them hang out mostly there. My larger dog is a lab and sheds like crazy so she usually isn't even allowed on the bed at home.
Anyway, any hints or tips that you have for your dogs on the trip?
There is a Pets sub-forum on the Forum. Pet-related posts are best posted there.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #12

Yes I realize there is a pet forum and have spent some time on there but there isn't anything specific for the wolf pup and that many dogs. I also said hi and nice to meet you.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
Anti-expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I fixed them.
What voodoo do you possess? Thank you
Old 09-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #14
Anti-expert

Howdy. First of all, I covered all the bedding and cushions to help with the fur issue. Get creative. I stacked the bunk mattresses on the bottom bunk, put those in a mattress cover then pulled a sleeping bag liner over that. Other than being 6" short it fits perfectly. This is the day hangout for the 3 bigger kids. 90lb lab, 40lb husky and a 25lb border collie. The top bunk is our personal storage.

During the evening everyone wants to sleep on the queen bed which doesn't work and the big ones didn't dig sleeping on the opposite end so we ended up breaking down the dinette and putting my mom's Indian dog blanket over it then our Eddie Bauer packable dog bed on top. This has solved the problem.

The 2 Littles, a pair of 11-14lb dachshund/spaniel mixes, sleep with us on top of the somewhat lame "bedding package" comforter that came with the trailer. We tossed it on top of our comforter to protect that. This is also the main dog hangout whenever we're inside, which isn't often.

Most of the time they're outside on 25' drag lines or secured to the rig depending on rules and location, except my service dog who's pretty much free all the time. The biggest trick is untangling them constantly. I need a solution for that.

I'll get some pics next week when we head back out. Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscorn View Post
What voodoo do you possess? Thank you

No voodoo. Have to download them to my computer and rotate them using mspaint, then replace them in your post using my admin edit capabilities.

I save all my vodoo for the ex wife.

Sometimes, I sit and wonder about what actually happened to all those people I gave directions to.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #16

When ever I post a pic from my phone and it displays sideways or upside down, I edit the photo on my phone by rotating it 360 degrees and then repost the pic. It always displays correctly afterwards. Always!
Old 09-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #17

Thank you Cactuscorn! I owned a motorhome previously and had the best time going out when I could between work projects. Hope you have a wonderful time as well!!