Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Essential Worker

Hi I知 an essential worker on the front lines and just purchased a 2020 FOREST RIVER ROCKWOOD GEO-PRO 19FBS to live in through the pandemic to protect my family as I知 exposed to the virus through my work.

The previous owners of my home had a 30 amp RV plug installed on the side of my garage along with an outside faucet for water access and a nice level blacktop pad to park. The only thing I cannot easily access is sewage. However, the house is on a septic system and I plan on using a rolling tote to empty the black and grey tanks then roll it to my septic to dump.

The trailer should be delivered next week and I知 trying to learn all I can about the things I値l need as well as maintenance and upkeep I値l need to be doing in order to keep my new temporary home running properly.
sherri0868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal! Enjoy the Geo-Pro.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #3

Thanks for all your doing ,Stay safe,Depending on how far the septic tank is from the trailer perhaps really long sewer hoses as they do connect together.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #4

I too would go with a long sewer hose.

Welcome to the Forum !!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #5

Delivery should include showing you how everything works. More likely delivery will be wanting to leave as soon as possible. Have you ever used a travel trailer before?
Things to show you;
Water system, hooked up to your house.
Electrical plugged in as well as the battery
Gray water (shower & sink) drain.
Water heater for warm showers
Black water (stool) drain
Refrigerator - a level helps, they should explain that too.
Circuit breakers and fuses for when you overload your. It happens.
How to use the TV, stove etc.

Stay safe and good luck with your new home.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #6

Welcome from SW Ohio , enjoy your 2020 FR Geo Pro 19 FBS TT !
Old 04-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-18 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri0868 View Post
Hi I知 an essential worker on the front lines and just purchased a 2020 FOREST RIVER ROCKWOOD GEO-PRO 19FBS to live in through the pandemic to protect my family as I知 exposed to the virus through my work.

The previous owners of my home had a 30 amp RV plug installed on the side of my garage along with an outside faucet for water access and a nice level blacktop pad to park. The only thing I cannot easily access is sewage. However, the house is on a septic system and I plan on using a rolling tote to empty the black and grey tanks then roll it to my septic to dump.

The trailer should be delivered next week and I知 trying to learn all I can about the things I値l need as well as maintenance and upkeep I値l need to be doing in order to keep my new temporary home running properly.
One other thing I would double check to see that the 30A RV plug on the garage is truely 110V and not 220V.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Welcome aboard, and......THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!

You mention delivery will be soon.....do you know exactly when given you being a front line worker? Time away from your job will obviously be very limited, but there痴 a lot to learn during the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection)

RVs have holding tanks, and your house has septic. They are slightly different, so be careful how you plan to use it.

Where (roughly) are you located?
Will temperatures and climate be a big issue?

We池e here to help.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD carried by a 2017 Ford E450
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Welcome!

Your maintenance should be minimal and you seem to have thought through many of the problems.

On a practical level, think about getting a covered electric skillet to cook in. We find the electric skillet will cook almost anything. It will also help save the propane because you'll be using electricity. Paper towels to clean dishes before you wash them helps keep food out of the tanks.

We keep drinks in a cooler to keep the cold air in the fridge. Opening the door frequently lower the temp in the fridge.

Consider eating off paper plates and using paper cups. Makes cleanup easier.

There are many YouTube videos about living in an rv and they might give you some hints.

Stay safe and healthy.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #11

Thank you being on the front line. I am grateful for all the people making our not-so-normal lives a little normal by providing essential serviced.

The camper sounds like a great idea. Hopefully when all this is over you can put it to good use!

As previously stated, make sure they show you how to use everything.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum and most importantly, stay safe.

As has been said, have the power outlet tested to make sure it actually is wired 120Volt or else your excitement will be very short lived. Instead of investing in a tote, have a look at a portable macerator pump like this Flojet, I have one since 2015 and it has never let me down. Be careful, prices are all over the map. https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-18555-...artrvingnet-20
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:30 PM   #13

Thanks guys you致e given me more ideas

I知 in Pennsylvania and hopefully the very cold weather will be done for awhile.

I知 definitely going to put a multimeter on the 30 amp jack. I never even though to check it. My neighbor told me the prior owners had installed it strictly for their RV, so I just assumed it was good to good. That could have been an expensive assumption.

The sewer clean out is on the opposite side of my garage so it痴 not feasible keep a sewer line running right in front of the garage doors, but the macerator looks like a future addition to eliminate the tote as I値l probably get tired of dragging the tote back and forth. I知 not planning on using any chems (or use them very sparingly) in the RV tank if I can get away with it so as not to disturb the natural processes of the septic system.

And I値l be able to get the day off for delivery and plan on making them go over everything as it痴 my first RV and the only RV experience I致e had was when I was a little kid with my grandparents too many years ago.

As far as the practical stuff, I use a ninja foodi 9 in 1 cooker almost exclusively and haven't used my house stove or oven since I got the foodi. So I知 not planning on even touching the stove. Good heads up on the cooler. It痴 always nice to have an ice cold adult beverage after a long day at work.

Thanks again.
sherri0868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:11 AM   #14

Since you live where it's still cold, you might want to invest in a small electric space heater so that you don't have to use the propane furnace. Look for one that has a temperature control and automatic shutoff which most of them do. I got one that's 'cool to the touch' because one of us is a bit of a clutz. Ours has a fan that can be operated as a fan only and we use that to keep the air circulating when the heater isn't needed.

We tend to keep ours on the kitchen counter away from anything flamable.

That and a sleeping bag keeps us warm and toasty at night.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #15

You are dumpling into a septic system? Don't dump it all at once. Do a little bit at a time. You will overwhelm the septic tank and wash solids down into the leach field.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #16

Quote:
I知 not planning on using any chems (or use them very sparingly) in the RV tank if I can get away with it so as not to disturb the natural processes of the septic system.
I use a laundry liquid soap (for one load) and also calgon for the black water tank. They take care of the smell and prevent sticking to the sides of the holding tank. You can put calgon in the gray water tank too if there are food particles going down the drain.

Oh yes, hair! We added one of those drain screens from Walmart to the shower drain to catch my DW's hair. It couldn't be mine as I don't have much left to lose.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:28 AM   #17

Valterra Sewer solution kit and TankTechRx

We had a sewer clean out in our previous house which we couldn't reach. We purchased the following and it has worked well for the 5 times or so that we used it.

You also need two "normal" garden hoses. One to run from near the black tank valve on the RV to the sewer clean-out and the other to run from a water source to near the black tank valve

Valterra 10-Foot Sewer Solution Kit, Universal Sewer Hose for RV Camper, Includes one 10' drain hose (OD 1.1"), pump head, sewer adapter, quick connect, and anti siphon valve

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01.../dp/B00CCYWJQK

Currently just under $70 on Amazon

After some research, we just recently purchased TankTechsRx - RV Holding Tank Treatment & Cleaner; Liquid ( http://tanktechsrx.com/ ). We haven't used it yet as we have some the "normal" non chemical pods left, but the write-ups look great from the company and our RV dealer said it is a popular product. We like the concept of not emptying the tank which will save water -- they want you to always leave some of the waste in as a "starter". Maybe some else has actually used it and can give you feedback.

Thank you for the work you are doing and as an other poster said, I hope you are able to enjoy your rig "in the wild" soon.

Nookaroos
Nookaroos is offline   Reply With Quote