Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Extended warranties that give back money?

Have just ordered a Wildcat 323MK (new floor plan this year). Debating on extended warranties. Noticed several campers mentioned EW's that gave money back if the EW wasn't used. Anyone have info about these type of warranties?
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Definitely get the 2nd yr warranty from FR( dealer may not offer it so be insistent). I would be very cautious of any EW that offered to give money back if not used. The whole idea of insurance is a calculated gamble that you will not use it and that will cover the costs of those that do plus some profit. A company that paid out if you had an issue and returned your money if you didn't would be out of business quickly.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

Makes sense. Anybody have recommendations for any EW's or just get the extended additional year warranty from FR?
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

My experience with extended warranties: Make sure the dealer sends in your money to the warranty company. On my 2005 Rockwood, they "forgot" until prodded by me, then they only paid for the remaining time on the warranty at a cost to them of less than 1/3 of the original price paid. I bought used (trailer was 2 years old) from a private party and only found out about the warranty from the original paperwork. When I tried to transfer the warranty the warranty company said they knew nothing about it and had not received payment.
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

The second year warranty with forest river is a good deal. I had it thrown in to the deal on both my 5ers.

I hate extended warranties as a consumer. Most are never used and are marked up up to be very profitable for the seller.
All the dealerships i worked, at the finance and insurance (warranty is insurance) was either the most profitable department or was second to service and or collision departments.

If anyone cares.....i was reading this morning in Dave Ramseys book, - Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money, and he adamantly teaches against buying extended warranties, and says he has for decades now!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote