Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2022, 09:25 PM   #1

Finally off the ground

Hi all, we just acquired a 2020 232ESP, very lightly used by the only other owner. Like new inside, everything works, doesn't leak, pulls really well. Just got done putting her in storage on my side of town. Can't wait to get it out in the north woods. Probably somewhere up on the Mogollon Rim for the first outing. Soon...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Rig.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	274482  
StuckOnTheDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome from the top side land of Lincoln

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi and Welcome to FRF, from the South West Valley.
Be sure to check out the Tent Camper and Popup section here.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:51 PM   #4

You might try 'driveway camping' for a night before you take it on a trip. If this is your first rv, driveway camping helps you remember what you need to pack.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!
Old 06-06-2022, 11:27 PM   #5

Congrats on getting a dry space with a bed and a galley. It's a huge improvement over tent camping.

Practice changing tires before you go anywhere. You need to be sure you have the right tools. You might be surprised by what doesn't fit or work as you anticipated.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement! I'm sure this is the start of great adventures.

Having the truck free to roam around, free of gear will be great. Camping comfortably in a tent takes a lot of gear. This consolidates it to one rolling storage spot.

I was always comfortable in a tent, air bed and electric pumps make it pretty nice. It's the prep and pack that makes it hard. Now we are a bit older, it seemed like we'd go more if it were easier. It's generally not desire that keeps us home, it's the amount of work it takes to get out.

The only problem I can identify right from the start is that I don't have a place at home to set it up and access the storage. Going to have to get creative, tent camp packing then transfer from bins in the woods, or set it up at the storage, it's pretty close.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #7

Welcome from Virginia !!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:08 AM   #8

Welcome from Wisconsin.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOnTheDock View Post
... The only problem I can identify right from the start is that I don't have a place at home to set it up and access the storage. Going to have to get creative, tent camp packing then transfer from bins in the woods, or set it up at the storage, it's pretty close.
You'll soon find the lack of upper wall cabinets to be adequate justification for a hybrid, after which you'll need a regular travel trailer because the tent ends let in too much heat, light, noise and humidity. Prepare your wallet.

More seriously, we used to lift the roof slightly to allow opening the door, then belly-crawled in to get to the storage boxes. You'll figure out which boxes to store closer to the door.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
You'll soon find the lack of upper wall cabinets to be adequate justification for a hybrid, after which you'll need a regular travel trailer because the tent ends let in too much heat, light, noise and humidity. Prepare your wallet.

More seriously, we used to lift the roof slightly to allow opening the door, then belly-crawled in to get to the storage boxes. You'll figure out which boxes to store closer to the door.

I totally get where you are coming from, but an adage I live by is "Comparison is the thief of joy." so I purchase carefully. This was already compromise for comfort, I wanted a rooftop tent on a full adventure trailer. My wife was having nothing to do with a ladder in the middle of the night. Being a reasonable person, I immediately caved in to her needs and found the Rockwood 232ESP. It seems a good compromise.

We decided to do a hybrid trip the first time, all the bins but the tent bin, transfer stuff in the woods. It will be a fitting end to ground camping. The dining bench storage is accessible from outside, I think it's going to be kept open as possible for last minute additions.

I appreciate the advice, unfortunately I'm a bit broken for crawling, I don't mind doing a little more, I'd have to lift it enough to stand, it's not a problem.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2022, 02:08 PM   #11

Welcome, Stuck!

Your picture screams Phx area though - admittedly - I initially figured you for the East end of things (we've got family over there). Your path is a well considered and oft-traveled one. No advice - there's plenty of that (and opinions) here... and you're clearly doing your research.

I'm wishing you much enjoyment after this most recent turn. I'm a lifelong tent camper (and former Eagle scout), and -despite the comforts that I added along my own journey - have really come to enjoy travel trailer camping. We've camped more in the last two years than I had done in the previous ten combined.

Cheers!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:32 PM   #12

Quote:
I totally get where you are coming from, but an adage I live by is "Comparison is the thief of joy." so I purchase carefully. This was already compromise for comfort, I wanted a rooftop tent on a full adventure trailer. My wife was having nothing to do with a ladder in the middle of the night. Being a reasonable person, I immediately caved in to her needs and found the Rockwood 232ESP. It seems a good compromise.

We decided to do a hybrid trip the first time, all the bins but the tent bin, transfer stuff in the woods. It will be a fitting end to ground camping. The dining bench storage is accessible from outside, I think it's going to be kept open as possible for last minute additions.

I appreciate the advice, unfortunately I'm a bit broken for crawling, I don't mind doing a little more, I'd have to lift it enough to stand, it's not a problem.

Thanks!
I watched a young couple pull into camp in a small crossover SUV. They were done setting up their Thule cartop tent in 10 minutes. It looked very stable.

They had a rectangular luggage rack in the trailer hitch to carry their cooler, stove/grill and a 5# LP tank. It was all within the capacity of their car.

I recommended that setup to my daughter and boyfriend but she reminded me that her 50# dog can't climb ladders.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:35 PM   #13

Quote:
I recommended that setup to my daughter and boyfriend but she reminded me that her 50# dog can't climb ladders.
Midnight potty trips that involve a 5-6' vertical maneuver are also slightly frowned upon - especially with a dog (ladder climbing or not)!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Welcome, Stuck!

Your picture screams Phx area though - admittedly - I initially figured you for the East end of things (we've got family over there). Your path is a well considered and oft-traveled one. No advice - there's plenty of that (and opinions) here... and you're clearly doing your research.

I'm wishing you much enjoyment after this most recent turn. I'm a lifelong tent camper (and former Eagle scout), and -despite the comforts that I added along my own journey - have really come to enjoy travel trailer camping. We've camped more in the last two years than I had done in the previous ten combined.

Cheers!

I appreciate your best wishes. I've lived on the south side, in the worst area of town (27th and Indian School), and the West Side but never the east. I'm sure we have a LOT of overnighter's in our near future if nothing else, but probably a lot of 3 day excursions, that's the plan anyway. Cheers.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:59 PM   #15

Quote:
I watched a young couple pull into camp in a small crossover SUV. They were done setting up their Thule cartop tent in 10 minutes. It looked very stable.

They had a rectangular luggage rack in the trailer hitch to carry their cooler, stove/grill and a 5# LP tank. It was all within the capacity of their car.

That's realism. That's what I realized when my wife told me. Reviews seldom mention 34 degree drizzly mornings and full bladders. Climbing down in the dark all of a sudden seemed pretty silly.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi all, we just acquired a 2020 232ESP, very lightly used by the only other owner. Like new inside, everything works, doesn't leak, pulls really well. Just got done putting her in storage on my side of town. Can't wait to get it out in the north woods. Probably somewhere up on the Mogollon Rim for the first outing. Soon...

We went to Flagstaff, wildfires were a concern, but was great! See here...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2751422
Old 06-20-2022, 06:06 PM   #17

Greetings from the Prescott, AZ. area.
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote