Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #1

Unhappy First Forest River

Hello all, just got my first fifth wheel this past Friday, 08 35 quad bunker, in great shape....well that was until I got it home. Picked it up in Augusta Ga, started for home in Wilmington , NC around 1pm,tires appeared to be excellent with plenty of tread, about 280 miles and experienced 3 yes you read correctly THREE blowouts on the HI RUN tires . Three service calls , two more new tires, one fender skirt tore off, electrical outlet, one west marine speaker, some insulation and general tire mar around the wells..........got home about 2.30 am with my once pristine rv that I was so excited to get but it reminded me more of a war torn B17 coming out of a Geman bombing mission. Well I guess I can fix it all and get new tires after I research WHAT I should put on there and be thankful the damage was not worse.....
manztruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #2

Welcome to the FRF. That is a heck of a way to start out with your first 5th wheel. I hope your luck improves from here on out.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #3

I have to wonder if the tires were inflated properly. That is unheard of to have that many blow out, especially considering the trailer was used and the tires were fine to that point. Do you have any idea what could have caused it?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That sucks.

I was talking to a friend that used to haul RVs from IN to Ontario. The only trip that he experienced tire blow outs resulted in 3 lost tires as well. Fortunately he was towing that trailer & had 2 more on the truck. He just kept pulling the spares off.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 PM   #5

Are the tired Carsile Steel Belted tires? Those have been reported by many to blow out randomly.

Thats bad luck. Hopefully your whole RV isn't a lemon.
Golddisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

Not sure who makes the Hi Runs, but If you see them...run. I have spoke to Forest River about my ordeal and I will simply say that I am pleased with their response.
Thanks
manztruk is offline   Reply With Quote